Is Hoth_My_Fav real?

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
I hope this is not seen as a nasty thread. It is meant to be genuine, so I don't want to start a slag-fest.

IN just five years, this guy/girl has posted in RS so regularly that he has become a Moff. Yet despite many requests for him to limelight his collection, he has ignored every post.

I mean, he will respond to any post that asks a question of anything BUT showing us his collection, or any piece he owns.

Does anyone know him? Is he just super secretive (nothing wrong with that) or not real?

I find myself perplexed by him. I could be completely wrong, but I have alarm bells going off in the back of my mind whenever he posts. Like I say, I could be wrong, and I'd be glad to be. Does anyone know him personally?

Cheers
Pat

Joe

Grand Master
:lol:

I've no idea if he's real or someone who was previously banned or something. He's definitely a strange one and sadly on RS it's quite common for the hobby pariahs to come back using a new alias.

I used to find him annoying back when the only thing he ever posted was to do with his love for all things Hoth (like seriously who cares?) or when he would spring to AFA's defence with some huge bum licking rant about how awesome they were but I didn't realise he was still at it. I only occasionally read RS these days and those visits tend to last 30 seconds.

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
OK, not really asking about RS - love it/hate it - that's your own thing. I just wanted to know if anyone knew HMF personally.

Cheers,
Pat

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Not been on RS in years so no idea who he/she is, but I do know it was a good few years before I limelighted on here. Even when I was posting more regularly I still didn't feel the need. Some people like showing off their collections, some don't, as you say.

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
Yeah, I get that - good point. It took me a while on RS before I limelighted too, but I wasn't as prolific. Heck, its taken me 15 years to become an Admiral, let alone a Moff.

Anyway, I could be completely wrong - hence the question.

Pat

Ian_C

Jedi Master
My buddy. :)

To be fair, I very rarely post pics of my collection, and to date, have only ever limelighted my entire room once, many years ago. I just like to keep what I own private for the most part.

As for the guy himself, he refuses to identify himself. He's not a sock account, as once I asked Mike Mensinger to look into that, and he confirmed it was a unique IP. In my first interactions with him, it was in an AFA U-grade debate (of course :lol: ), and when I had no idea who he was, it started off with the usual attempts to educate on why U grades are bad. He has a frustrating way of debating, as he just goes in circles, leaving questions half answered, and when pushed for clarification, cycles back to his first point. It took some time for me and him to degrade into the back and forth we're now known for (which surely prompted jedisearcher's comment ;) ), but now, oh boy. Even Alvarez tried to talk to him once. I warned John what debating him would be like, and sure enough, he left as annoyed as everyone else. :) Most people just ignore him now from the looks of it, which is probably the best way to go.

At least he has stopped referencing his "deep pockets" all the time, and now mostly sticks to comments promoting AFA, his job as a "stock broker", predicting the imminent mass exodus from Facebook, or his apparent obsession over number crunching ebay sales.

Ian

some people have told me that he makes plans to meet people at conventions and he always pulls out at the last minute ? Perhaps he's busy gathering his vital information as to what price something sold for ? Who knows ? By the way everyone I love afa and I'm going to get everything on planet earth graded , also I love hoth .

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
darth_daddius said:
Yeah, I get that - good point. It took me a while on RS before I limelighted too, but I wasn't as prolific. Heck, its taken me 15 years to become an Admiral, let alone a Moff.

Anyway, I could be completely wrong - hence the question.

Pat

The forum rank doesnt mean anything, it just shows how many Posts you make. Some people dont answer in threads that regulary as others and some feel the need to say something to eveyone and every thread... Each to their own i guess, but i am not bothered by what rank i have behind my username.

Oh and i dont know the HMF Guy. :lol:

olisuds

Sith Lord
Yep I've had my fair share of run ins with HMF. The over the top AFA bum licking winds me up and so does the self proclaimed expertise in "trading", his huge database of prices he's apparently compiling and more recently vast knowledge of proof cards. I've had a few private conversations with him though and I don't think he's deliberately trying to be antagonising and I think he is genuinely keen to get along with people. I just think he could dial it down a notch or two and spend a bit more time listening and learning rather than self promoting and boasting without making an effort to back any of it up. Some of my favourite people in this hobby have the most incredible collections but they are so modest and self deprecating you'd never know it. Modesty does a long way in my books.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom