Caring for the goods

AssyrianDrummer

Padawan
Hey guys

Whats the best way to store your collectables short of buying glass case stands with spotlights and an air lock? 8)

I know the obvious ones before you all own me with comeback comments lol. No i won't leave them in a puddle or under the radiator. But for caring, maintaining etc etc Both unopened and opened.

Much Appreciated
the long haired one

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
AssyrianDrummer said:
Hey guys

Whats the best way to store your collectables short of buying glass case stands with spotlights and an air lock? 8)

I know the obvious ones before you all own me with comeback comments lol. No i won't leave them in a puddle or under the radiator. But for caring, maintaining etc etc Both unopened and opened.

Much Appreciated
the long haired one

I'm no chemist, but it seems you should keep your loose figures away from ziploc bags because the chemicals in the plastics will react with each other. I guess the best way to store them (at least away from view) is in a compartmentalised acid free cardboard box with some small holes in them so they can breathe.

If you want to display them however, a UV protective glass display cabinet would be best I think.

As for MOCs (what you call unopened figures), I don't know.

Jedi534

Jedi Knight
I use 2mil, 3x5 "Jewlery Bags" for my non-display figs! :shock: I use a hole punch to pop a hole in each bag so they are not entirely sealed. I've used them for years and have had no issues of any sort. Now "Zip-Lock" or "Glad" bags are a different story... I think... Anyhow, I also use those plastic action figure holders for the more warp-sensitive figs like 2-1B, 8D8, figures with capes and so on. Those are kept towards the bottom of the pile. Everything is then thrown into 32qt Sterlite storage bins and shoved into dark closets...

edit: Also, check out my post from 2006 on the subject over at RS. http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=hasbro30th&Number=2303539

sw_vint534_storage.jpg

AssyrianDrummer

Padawan
That's a great collection there mate! I read the other thread you posted on the damage caused so i will definately invest in jewellery bags and i have a cool dark storage bit in my loft so i will stick em in there til i decide to display stuff!

I am still stuck on what others to collect. I am considering MOC Kenner or POTF but then again i don't know what is considered difficult to collect, or better to get etc etc. :|

Joe

Grand Master
I think in all honesty unless you have the knowledge of 6 months - 1 year of collecting behind you- MOC isn't going to be the best choice.

Get your Kenner loose set going, it's relatively easy to start off, prices are ok on 90% of them and there is a plentiful supply, as you buy loose you will spot prices on ebay + the forums for other things that might spark your interest (moc etc), never buy something based on 1 price, try to always see 2-3 for sale to get a fair estimation of somethings value.

POTF MOC while a nice set is realistically going to cost you thousands, there are a few figures in the set that each command a few K on their own.

It's all about taking it slow and making sure while you aren't buying you are learning- if you rush into things it will either burn your bank balance up or you will get rooked and buy a fake that will put you off.

AssyrianDrummer

Padawan
I will take the advice and start on loose figures. Thanks a lot mate.

Did you lot make sure the loose figures had the right accessories, or did you buy them seperately or not at all?

Joe

Grand Master
Buy your loose complete never buy them without weapons- you can use a few sites
to check the weapons authenticity - or buy from very trusted sellers (like the good people on here ;) )

thenightmarcher

Padawan
I was going to post a thread about this myself, but I'm glad I checked this one first!

Saying that, if anyone has a link to a good bag supplier in the UK that they're willing to give up, I'd love to check it out. If not, I'll begrudgingly dredge through Google's search results...

LAUGHITUPFUZZ

Youngling
Hi guys I got into collecting last year and got a bunch of 2010/11 vintage moc's they look great, I still havent got them all yet, ok.. I just realise.... ( STANDS UP )

Hello EVERYONE MY NAMES LAUGHITUPFUZZ and I'm addicted to collecting star wars figures :lol:

Joe, why dont you recommend starting your collection with moc's mate.

jackabina

Sith Lord
I think what Joe means is, if you get buying a loose figure wrong, you may lose a few quid, if you don't know what you're looking for and buy the wrong MOC, you could lose hundred's. If you tell people you're trying to buy starwars, they will sell you anything!
Anyway, I use these to get my storage from
http://www.theearthtoymall.com/diandstcablo.html

Joe

Grand Master
jackabina said:
I think what Joe means is, if you get buying a loose figure wrong, you may lose a few quid, if you don't know what you're looking for and buy the wrong MOC, you could lose hundred's. If you tell people you're trying to buy starwars, they will sell you anything!
Anyway, I use these to get my storage from
http://www.theearthtoymall.com/diandstcablo.html

Indeed, one of many reasons most people start out with loose figures and work up - just makes sense to me, while you are buying relatively easy to find and cheap things you can learn about the rest of the hobby before you spend big bucks.

The guy that started this thread fizzled out and never returned after 6 months by the way, food for thought :) TAKE IT EASY :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom