Consciously buying a Toytoni for a focus

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Toni has damaged the hobby by his creative reMOCing of figures, no question about that. But, Toytonis are here to stay (unless the bubbles all fall off their cards!) and are now part of the hobby whether we like it or not.

If you're a focus collector setting out to acquire a MOC on every known cardback variation, would you consider consciously buying a Toytoni as another variation ie. owning a genuine 65d Palitoy and a Toytoni 65d Palitoy?

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Lom said:
Toni has damaged the hobby by his creative reMOCing of figures, no question about that. But, Toytonis are here to stay (unless the bubbles all fall off their cards!) and are now part of the hobby whether we like it or not.

If you're a focus collector setting out to acquire a MOC on every known cardback variation, would you consider consciously buying a Toytoni as another variation ie. owning a genuine 65d Palitoy and a Toytoni 65d Palitoy?

I wouldn't ever do that, but even more so if I had a proper one.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I unknowingly bought a GM45 back PD off him before it all kicked off & I keep it as a placeholder, pisser as its so minty & I doubt I will get a genuine one in as nice a condition to replace it, but I don't hate it if that helps?, as its still as close as I will get till a genuine one comes along.

Richard_H

Grand Master
The damage is done. It makes no difference to him (unless you buy from that shrivelled up looking penis directly) if these still sell between collectors.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Yep, should probably emphasise that I wasn't referring to buying one directly from that scroat I meant ones that are already out in the wild.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I have quite a few in my collection. I'll hold onto them as place holders but in all honesty am not actively looking for replacements.

I would buy one if I didn't have an original, but wouldn't buy as a variation if I had the original.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Would be a weird 'Rogues Gallery' focus...

"Here's my Star Wars room and if I can direct you to look at this cabinet, here you will see works by Darren Orme, ToyToni and Mark Poon... The vinyl cape jawa? That ones by an unknown artist but you have to admire the skilful way they have trimmed down that Ben Kenobi cloak."

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
:lol: "right next to the VCJ is a superb example of Yak Face. Unfortunately the limbs don't move on this one" :D

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
I have 4 in my 2-1b focus. All bought pre scandal. I don't have genuine MOC examples for any of them. 2 were bought directly from Toni with email traceback so will be evidence if it ever goes to court. I'll hang on to the ones I have left, because as you say, there are curios for a focus collector who already has everything else collected. If I was starting a new focus I'd probably avoid buying them or pick a Toni free figure.

Jason

itfciain

Grand Master
sith-smith said:
I have quite a few in my collection. I'll hold onto them as place holders but in all honesty am not actively looking for replacements.

I would buy one if I didn't have an original, but wouldn't buy as a variation if I had the original.

Yep - this is pretty much the same for me - not sure they can really be classed as a variation as most of the information points to the fact he stuck any old figure in there and used different bubble - so there is nothing legitimate about them being a variant - apart from the fact that they are a TT

itfciain

Grand Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Would be a weird 'Rogues Gallery' focus...

"Here's my Star Wars room and if I can direct you to look at this cabinet, here you will see works by Darren Orme, ToyToni and Mark Poon... The vinyl cape jawa? That ones by an unknown artist but you have to admire the skilful way they have trimmed down that Ben Kenobi cloak."

You're forgetting the painstakingly recarded onto a piece of shite cardboard from costablanca or whatever the **** he calls himself these days

x-pack

Grand Master
Grant_C said:
I have a TT for my Focus- its part of collecting now. Like a bootleg of a kind.

I agree with this. Don't expect everyone to see it the same way, especially those who were ripped off with the higher price items, but TT's are now part of Star Wars history. It's got to be the biggest scandal in any toy collecting circuit ever. Not long back I considered buying a TT simply for this reason. Didn't in the end but might do one day if the card was cheap enough

Paul Armory

Padawan
Grant_C said:
I have a TT for my Focus- its part of collecting now. Like a bootleg of a kind.

Interesting approach to it Grant; an optimistic one at that. I've added a TT consciously to my collection (my only one for a run). It was a good price for a legitimate figure and card. Someone got the financial bone in the ass in the past when first purchased (and for that it pisses me off) but it's not going anywhere at this point and sure as hell will never be passed off as authentic :D

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I still think they look cool and wouldn't be against having one in a run if it fitted, assuming it was priced accordingly (although most of them were pretty cheap direct from him anyway, £30-40 for the ROTJ cards.)

As I said when the news first broke the reality is there's not a whole lot to differentiate a good TT (obviously not one with a great big iron mark) from a legit MOC, the real damage done is to all the different bubble/figure COO variations he made which had been documented all over the net as genuine variations.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I had two but I have sold them now (with full disclosure). After it all broke I hung on to them. I thought I would be ok with them but as time passed I started to feel they didn't fit with my collection so I let them go. I am happier with them gone.

At the end of the day, I curate my collection for me and me alone. I collect what I like and pass on what I don't. some things I am happy to collect others would not and vice versa but thats what makes each collection unique. Collect for yourself and not for other people.

Jez

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
I curate my collection for me and me alone. I collect what I like and pass on what I don't. some things I am happy to collect others would not and vice versa but thats what makes each collection unique. Collect for yourself and not for other people.
Perfect.
I'm indifferent on this, i'm not sure. Fortunately there are no TT LXW MOCs.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well I have 4 suspect TTs in my collection, Logray, G guard , Leia Boussh and Fett-again pre-scandal. The G Guard and Logray only cost me £40 a piece and the most expensive was Fett at £200.

I actually like them because they display great with crystal clear bubbles and real clean cards and my Fett is a true tri-logo example ie unpainted comb and light blue which is my fav Fett. Also all parts r original except perhaps the bubble seal :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom