Flipping Pandemic

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Flipping 1995-2010:

- Buy a lot/small collection for under market value, usually a poorly listed eBay auction or local find
- Keep the ones you need
- Sell off remaining items for a fair 25% profit to cover your costs and maybe make a little

Flipping 2015:
- Pay way over market value for a set of figures from a well advertised eBay/Vectis auction
- Have no intention of keeping any of them
- List them all on Facebook for double what you paid, by now four times market value
- Get congratulated by fellow Facebook morons

Is this new trend pissing anybody else off? Just this morning I saw another idiot in one of the Facebook groups "limelighting" his Vectis haul of common ROTJ Kenner MOCs, only to put virtually the entire lot up for sale 5 minutes later at >$100 each, for what are $30-40 figures.

Seriously these greedy cocks need to do one or this hobby is done for. I have no problem with dealers, I have no problem with flipping, I do however have a problem with this wave of new hysterical buyers that hoover up crap at any price and assume they can instantly double their money. And people must be falling for it or they wouldn't bother.

Joe

Grand Master
Amen-Brother.jpg

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Yep. I saw exactly the same thing this morning. "My latest haul from vectis. Some or all may be for sale soon". Well, why buy them in the first place you ****ing moron. Let someone who wanted to keep them have them. Oh that's right, you are greedy.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
The only info I have about Vintage Star Wars and Facebook is through this forum and it's always bad. :(

Timatronics

Padawan
I think the recent trend of these buying and selling shows have had a massive impact. Shows like Toy Hunter and Storage hunters give a glamorised view of making easy money. Problem is if people keep buying it then they'll keep doing it.

I get a feeling that when the new film is released in December you'll see a flooded market in 2016 which will hopefully bring the prices down.

Tim

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's definitely not sustainable, I guess we just sit tight and wait.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
I have noticed in the last few weeks , values have dropping on some items , eg 12 backs , boxed vehicles Etc , its only the really rare stuff still going for the big numbers

A ESB snow speeder with box , sold for £36
12 backs selling from £500 to £600 for grading examples

And even vectis prices , I got boxed , esb tie fighter , palitoy darth vader tie fighter, b wing fighter , rebel transporter, scout walker and a loose falcon all for £170 plus fees

:D

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
The thing I do not get is them going "Check out my latest find/haul"..as if they are excited and it is going into their collection and then in the same breath state "All for sale soon". ****ing morons.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
tiefighterboy said:
The thing I do not get is them going "Check out my latest find/haul"..as if they are excited and it is going into their collection and then in the same breath state "All for sale soon". ****ing morons.

Exactly, they're not collectors, more comparable to fisherman! :lol:

spoons

Grand Master
Saw a loose VC jawa on FB for $1500 - is that the going rate? Surely not that's a first shot kind of price

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
tiefighterboy said:

So true. Wanted to post something up on that fool's thread. Unbelievable. It's not like he's planning on keeping any of it as even the Tri-logos he's holding on "for now". Hope he's loses big time but the sad thing is the brown noses that seem to dominate FB lap it up.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
He's also in Australia, I'd love to know how on earth he's going to make a profit after sending them around the world twice :lol:

ODB

Jedi Master
This trend is also driving up prices elsewhere as well as people see the facebook price and equate that to mean their item is worth the same or more. So round and round we go in a price boom, I really hope it goes bust and those that are flipping this stuff have to take heavy losses.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I like the phrase "hysterical buyers" and I think they're the real problem here - without them flipping just doesn't work because its not possible to make any money if you're already paying a high price from Vectis, + fees + graders fees etc.

Remember though, the difference between the advertised prices and what people end up actually selling them for isn't always so clear. I'm sure not everyone makes the money that observers think they do. Just cos it's for sale for a price doesn't mean it sells for that, or even at all.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
The only info I have about Vintage Star Wars and Facebook is through this forum and it's always bad. :(

Same here mate.. I've actively chosen not to look at SW on facebook, I only use it for catching up with old mates. I think it would just get on my tits observing these idiots, as it appears to be everyone else. They don't sound like real collectors, as discussed - just billy big bollockses flashing the cash and giving it large :roll:

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
You know, it doesn't bother me. It's not sustainable, will pop eventually. the idiots who don't research or pay over the odds for AFA grades will be the ones that suffer in the long run.

I just scored a C8.5 unpunched clear bubble 12B Sandpeople moc on Facebook for $230. Even with expensive postage it'll set me back less than £200. The are still proper bargains to be had.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I have only brought off three people on Facebook. Iain, walkie and dj bighair. I keep trying to buy yps hoth stormies off Andy black but he keeps selling them before I have a chance to speak to him :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Robstyley said:
theforceuk said:

Same here mate.. I've actively chosen not to look at SW on facebook, I only use it for catching up with old mates. I think it would just get on my tits observing these idiots, as it appears to be everyone else. They don't sound like real collectors, as discussed - just billy big bollockses flashing the cash and giving it large :roll:

Yeah the only thing I use Facebook for is keaping in touch with friends and deleting old ones! :lol:

Seriously though some times I do wander if I'm missing out on certain items that seem to be a lot harder to track down now than 5, 10 years ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom