For those who loved star wars back in the 70's 80's....

sith-smith

Grand Master
Cool!

I remember those cards. You could put them together and the back would give you a picture.

Have to see what ones I have left.

I can still remember the odd taste of the bubblegum!

DrPittenstein

Padawan
We practically watched the whole film through stills before it came out with those cards. They made it the coolest film ever made before anyone even saw it! There was definitely a book you could stick them all in. Break time was star wars card trading time.

I didn't get diddly squat for my 'Destroy the Death Star' game so I've been playing it with my 6 year old nephew this Christmas. I think I like it more than he does!

kingshearer

Jedi Master
sith-smith said:
I remember coming down stairs one Christmas morning...maybe 78/9 and finding the Cardboard Death Star and Land of the Jawas already built and ready to be played with!!

That was just awesome!

I can also remember being really excited about Christmas in 84 as I was getting Jabba the Hutt Playset and I remember already going to the local toyshop and picking an 8D8 for that Christmas. I'm certain I still have the cardback somewhere
A Palitoy Death Star - I had a 20 back card back and used to droll over that picture of one for hours (it was probably only seconds but it felt ages).
I didn't believe they existed since no one I knew had one and the nearest we got was my brothers mate who had the Action force HQ (I was dead jealous cos I collected those too)
I used to try and build a DS out of cardboard boxes and it would always turned out naff - a felt tip pen in the hands of a 6-8 year old was never good for drawing control panels etc.
I finally bought one about 12 years ago off Jim 'Star Wars' Stevenson and I then bought another one about 8 years ago on ebay since the box and playset were much better and £100 less.

Back to the subject - The best Christmas I had was around 1981 when I got the Millinnium Falcon.
When I first went into the sitting room there was just rubbishy presents and I was a bit disappointed - adding to the misery was the fact that my brother got a motorised bike which looked dead expensive.
Fortunately my parents had played a dirty trick on me and said "There should be another present for you somewhere have a look for it" so I frantically started checking everywhere - finally I pulled the couch back and there was the biggest wrapped present I had ever seen - a Palitoy ESB Falcon = My best xmas ever.

My mam subsequently gave away most of my star wars toys when I grew up(!) including the falcon - so I've
replaced them recently with 2 Palitoy ESB Falcons and a mint SW Kenner falcon.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I was the only kid I knew with the deathstar. Most of my friends who collected star wars didnt start until ESB/ROTJ so were too late to get one in the shops. Mind you they had a lot of the later vehicles that i didn't.

I remember when I got the falcon too. My best mate got one for Christmas too. He raced around in the morning with his and we had a double falcon adventure!

It's a nice toy, often overlooked due to the AT AT

Lonebudman

Jedi Knight
I vaguely remember getting various Star Wars vehicles at Christmas.
One year I got Darth Vader's Tie fighter and my younger brother got an ATAT,the ATAT walkers seemed so huge back then lol.
I also remember getting a Y-Wing one year and an ATST walker.
I can't remember getting individual figures so much but I do recall spending Christmas money on Star Wars figures in Menzies when we went over to visit my grandparent's in Kirkcaldy.
Going to Menzies was awesome as they seemed to have lots of stock/figures that Leisureworld in Belfast didn't have,well thats what my memory tells me lol.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Can only really remember the first time I got SW stuff for one Christmas, must have been Xmas 1980 or 1981 not sure. The only figure I had at this time being Greedo, which I bought in the Autumn.

At this time I had only seen Star Wars, had never seen ESB, so naturally I wanted all the SW characters and the falcon for Christmas.

I asked for

Falcon
Luke (original)
Han (original)
Leia (original)
C3P0
r2
Vader
Stormtrooper
Ben kenobi
Chewie

However this is what I ended up with

Falcon :D
Luke X-wing :( - was not happy as did not look like Luke IMO as a kid
Han (Bespin) :) OK, bespin and original Han look similar
Leia (Bespin) :| Would have preferred original, had no idea why Leia looked so different, but at least she had a cape!
C3P0 :D
r2 :D
Vader :D
Stormtrooper Hoth Battle Gear (x2) :? as a kid puzzled as to why Stormtrooper looked liked this
Chewie :D
AT AT Driver :? Thought it was a sort of Stormtrooper gone wrong :lol:
Boba Fett :( - not happy, had no idea who this was and asked why I had him. Was told by my Mum she searched everywhere for Ben Kenobi and so thought I might like Boba Fett instead!!! I WANTED BEN KENOBI - the brat I was :lol:

I think my Mum had trouble getting SW characters as ESB was all the rage at this time and so the shops must have had loads of ESB figures and very few SW figures.

So I was a very confused child playing with mainly ESB figures trying to act out ANH Star Wars scenes. :lol:

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Stormtrooper37 said:
Can only really remember the first time I got SW stuff for one Christmas, must have been Xmas 1980 or 1981 not sure. The only figure I had at this time being Greedo, which I bought in the Autumn.

At this time I had only seen Star Wars, had never seen ESB, so naturally I wanted all the SW characters and the falcon for Christmas.

I asked for

Falcon
Luke (original)
Han (original)
Leia (original)
C3P0
r2
Vader
Stormtrooper
Ben kenobi
Chewie

Leia (Bespin) :| Would have preferred original, had no idea why Leia looked so different, but at least she had a cape!
Stormtrooper Hoth Battle Gear (x2) :? as a kid puzzled as to why Stormtrooper looked liked this
Boba Fett :( - not happy, had no idea who this was and asked why I had him. Was told by my Mum she searched everywhere for Ben Kenobi and so thought I might like Boba Fett instead!!! I WANTED BEN KENOBI - the brat I was :lol:

I think my Mum had trouble getting SW characters as ESB was all the rage at this time and so the shops must have had loads of ESB figures and very few SW figures.

So I was a very confused child playing with mainly ESB figures trying to act out ANH Star Wars scenes. :lol:
So when did you eventually manage to see ESB? It's out on DVD now so there's no excuse!!
I hope that it all made sense once you did finally see the flick and you slowly learnt to love the new breed of imperial foot soldiers and you realised your mum was right all along.

itfciain

Grand Master
ha ha - all these great stories about Xmas presents - the only ones I ever got were Klaatu and an AST-5 :(

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Best childhood Christmas memory ever - ripping the paper off and finding a HUGE SW Millennium Falcon!!!!!! Complete with carded Han Solo, Chewie and Luke, I remember the names had been cut out so I'm guessing Santa was saving them to get me a free Dengar :D

AT AT Walker was the first present I stumbled across in my parents wardrobe (I couldn't eat my tea that night) on the build up to xmas and it started a great tradition of "find the present" that I proudly carry on to this day - my wife came home early from her mothers this year to find me on the living room floor Y Wing in hand :roll:

The last SW Christmas I remember getting B Wing fighter, Scout Walker, B Wing Pilot and Nien Nunb - decided the B Wing was just too cool for a standard Rebel fighter so it became Han Solo's daily drive :lol:

Funny thing is even though SW played such a big part of all my Christmas/birthdays I only have 1 picture, not sure which year but that's the build a droid and I'm pretty sure the wrapped present on the chair is my X Wing.
xmasSWFUK_zps660b793e.jpg

Great thread and great memories
Cheers
Colin.

sith-smith

Grand Master
That picture is amazing.

As is the carpet and curtains!!

Much like my house back in the 70's. Wish I had some pictures like that.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Yeah this thread rocks, Loovin hearing all the Christmas memories as when it comes down to it it's the reason why so many of us have such fond memories of the toys. Great photo Colin, wish I had one from back in the days.

I don't remember actually receiving any Star Wars toys pre ROTJ, I know I had them just don't remember opening them.

Christmas 84 was the big one for me, opening up the biggest box first to find an AT-ST is a memory I'll never let go. It was a bumper Crissy for me Star Wars wise, along with the At-St I remember getting a Speeder Bike and the following carded figures - Gamorrean Guard, Biker Scout, Nien Numb, Zuckuss, Admiral Ackbar, Weequay and Ree-Yees. Thanks to Iain I've recently relived the opening of a parcel with a spanking near new At-St inside, cheers mate.

The one I wanted the most but didn't get was Lando skiff Guard, I just thought he was the Ducks Guts with his removable helmet so with my $5 in NZ cash I got from my Gran ( sucked having Grandparents in NZ send you cash as the exchange rate meant you where lucky to get $4 from the bank :lol: ) I went and bought him as soon as the shops opened. That's the only figure I think I ever purchased and still remember opening him in the car on the way home. Ahh good times, good times.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
sith-smith said:
That picture is amazing.

As is the carpet and curtains!!

Much like my house back in the 70's. Wish I had some pictures like that.

Plus I am absolutely nailing the Hong Kong Phooey look with my dressing gown :lol:

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
kingshearer said:
Stormtrooper37 said:

I asked for

Falcon
Luke (original)
Han (original)
Leia (original)
C3P0
r2
Vader
Stormtrooper
Ben kenobi
Chewie

So when did you eventually manage to see ESB? It's out on DVD now so there's no excuse!!
I hope that it all made sense once you did finally see the flick and you slowly learnt to love the new breed of imperial foot soldiers and you realised your mum was right all along.

ESB was the last film of the original trilogy I saw. I saw ROTJ IN 1983 when it was first released, then about 6 months after saw ESB, which answered loads of questions I had etc.

chazb73

Sith Lord
It was xmas 81 (it was a white xmas that year) I knew I was getting Star Wars, Millenium Falcon and 5 figs.

My brother informed me my folks had already got them and they were in the loft. So when we could the ladders came out and I would reach inside the loft. The only one I could find in the darkness was Darth Vader :D - I couldnt wait till Xams morning. I remember being so excited on Xmas eve I couldnt eat a thing!

Xmas morning arrived and I wasnt dissapointed.

Millenium Falcon :D

And 5 figs

Darth Vader
2 Hoth Stormies
IG88
Yoda
and Boba Fett

I had them out in the snow that afternoon!!

Happy Days :D

DrPittenstein

Padawan
Can't believe all these Falcons for Christmas, starting to think my parents were tight gits!

How much was an MF back then?

chazb73

Sith Lord
DrPittenstein said:
Can't believe all these Falcons for Christmas, starting to think my parents were tight gits!

How much was an MF back then?

Hey bud - how you doin? Did the other Chewie arrive safely? I think they were in the region of £45 or so.....

sith-smith

Grand Master
Stormtrooper37 said:

I asked for

Falcon
Luke (original)
Han (original)
Leia (original)
C3P0
r2
Vader
Stormtrooper
Ben kenobi
Chewie

It's funny you say that, but I remeber as a kid wondering why all the original 12 were on the backs of jedi and ESB cards as I never saw any of them anywhere, except for stormtroopers. I started back in 77 so had them all but had no idea how my friends who started during EBS/ROTJ would ever get them.

In my adult collecting years I was shocked that all of them were available on later cards. But it's no surprise that many are tougher to get on ESB/ROTJ cards than they are on 12/20 backs!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom