Memories needed for my Star Wars book

Jez

Sith Lord
Hey Craig, i'm glad this is still on the go.
Please can you confirm if you have a record of a PM I sent you in 2014. I'm sure i did but can't find any evidence of it as i've sent more than 200 messages since then. If not i'll write you another.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Hi Craig,

I live in Ireland and vividly remember that there was a small Toy and Model shop at the top of the Main Street in Bray, Co.Wicklow.
Here's a couple of pictures I rediscovered from 1984. The first one is from my Birthday in February 1984. ROTJ was really big at the time. I got Ree Yees here!
IMG_20160115_175258.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures from Christmas 1984, it
is funny that there was obviously a mix of Kenner and Palitoy cardback available at the time looking at the Chewbacca and Chief Chirpa cards!
IMG_20160114_200904.jpg

IMG_20160115_175312.jpg

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Craig, is your book going to be full colour? If you need HQ scans of any British quad posters then let me know and I can help. Sounds like a good project, and best of luck with it.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Hi Craig

Another interesting memory i have is that ROTJ was the only movie I saw in the Cinema. A fun fact about that is though, my local cinema in Greystones, Co. Wicklow was called the Ormonde. That's where I saw ROTJ.
IMG_20160115_180921.jpg

It was the Cinema used in the Father Ted episode on Channel 4 many years later, where they are objecting to the risqué film :D
IMG_20160115_180934.jpg

yoda

Sith Lord
My memories is always of the trash compartment in the stormies gear. I also remember first watching ESB at home on a 12in tv and having to leave in the middle. Stopped at my grans Han got frozen at this stage on her TV. I was davastated thought he was gone. Missed the rest and never saw it in whole until my dad bought us a vhs. I had great memories from that vhs. Then the ultimate was able to then watch RTJ on it!
Great memories :D

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
The recent 'Star Wars At The BBC' stuff has got me wondering when it was I first saw ESB ( the first time I saw any SW).

The Ask Aspel and Blue Peter appearances can be dated to May 1980. I'm pretty sure I'd seen ESB ( in Glasgow )by the time the cast was on Blue Peter. ?But for this to happen would mean a near-simultaneous release on both sides of the Atlantic. I'm seeing UK press adverts mentioning an August release. I'm wondering if it had two releases - it would seem odd for the cast to visit Britain during a time it was only out Stateside.

I'm thinking that this is exactly the sort of thing Craig would know. Craig - you straightened out my false memory of the double-bill date. Can you iron out these half memories too? Or even tell me that this will be covered in your book and that I should wait patiently. :)

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
chipsteak said:
The recent 'Star Wars At The BBC' stuff has got me wondering when it was I first saw ESB ( the first time I saw any SW).

The Ask Aspel and Blue Peter appearances can be dated to May 1980. I'm pretty sure I'd seen ESB ( in Glasgow )by the time the cast was on Blue Peter. ?But for this to happen would mean a near-simultaneous release on both sides of the Atlantic. I'm seeing UK press adverts mentioning an August release. I'm wondering if it had two releases - it would seem odd for the cast to visit Britain during a time it was only out Stateside.

I'm thinking that this is exactly the sort of thing Craig would know. Craig - you straightened out my false memory of the double-bill date. Can you iron out these half memories too? Or even tell me that this will be covered in your book and that I should wait patiently. :)

The stars were in town (and doing TV) for the Royal Premiere, this newspaper dates it as May 20th 1980. Craig might have more dates for when the movie actually opened to the public at the West End, and then nationally around the country.

12039380_10208013227109433_4931962902138498417_n.jpg

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
In writing my book, I have all of the release dates at my fingertips. The Empire Strikes Back was released in Britain at the Odeon Leicester Square on the 21st May. The film was released nationally on June 15th to large venues including the Glasgow Odeon.

There was indeed a second wave of releases on the 3rd August which took in other parts of the country, including my home town of Romford.

There was a re-release of ESB in the summer of 1981 but the uptake from cinemas was extremely low. It may have played in Glasgow.

The Double Bill does not appear to have hit Glasgow (or Edinburgh) on the 30th May 1982, like the rest of the country as I couldn't find any listings.
It did open in both cities though on 12th December.

I'm still interested in what people thought of The Empire Strikes Back. I'm very short of ESB memories for the book. Mature fans (16 plus) on the whole appreciated the more grown-up tone of the film. Younger fans (myself included) were often confused and shocked. I didn't enjoy the film as a younger fan but I came to love it as an adult.

I have created a new thread on the subject: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28536

Craig.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I can't really remember how I first came to know of the film. I was only 5 at the time and still have very vivid memories of some things around that time and not of others.

I remember seeing an older kid (probably around 8) who lived up the road with Star Wars figures and it was the first time I'd ever seen them and am guessing I asked my mum for some.

What I can't remember is if this was my first sight of anything Star Wars or not.

I remember some of the hype ( though back then at 5 I had no concept of hype) surrounding it. Stuff on TV, in papers. I remember some sort of documentary on TV about it. I have a feeling this was before I saw the film, but again I can't be sure.

I also remember being at My brother's girlfriend's house waiting to walk to the cinema to see it. But I have no memory of being in the cinema!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks Craig, that was brilliantly specific.

Just one thing, I definitely saw the Double Bill ( twice ) before the ITV premier so it appeared in Scotland at some point before November.

I'm looking forward to the book.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I did type a bit in the other ESB thread which I commented on what I can remember from going to see the films.
First thing, did the double bill show in 1982? I am sure it was '81.

I may be wrong, but the first figures I can recall owning and playing with are Han Bespin, Chewie, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Imperial Commander, and Lobot. Lots came after that, but I seem to remember playing with those first.
My favourite vehicle was the Imperial Troop Transporter. The Falcon was cool, but for a young boy it was very large to handle. I got the Falcon for Christmas from my mum and dad. I did have a feeling that other family might buy me the AT-AT that same Christmas, but I never had it.
I played a lot with the Landspeeder too, but hardly touched the Jabba the Hutt playset.

There was a great toy shop in Rugby called Zodiac Toys. This is where I got the majority of my figures (and my toys in general).
One day, for whatever promtion, Darth Vader was at Zodiac.
I remember it being packed, queing outside. I met Vader, although it wasn't Prowse, and got his autograph. My mum didn't have any paper so she got him to sign a till receipt.
On occasions I also went to the Co-op and Woolworths. Years ago my friend told me that he remembered Woolworths selling off its Star Wars stock in the mid 80's. You could get the Falcon, Death Star, Ewok Village, etc. for a fiver.
That kind of thing sticks in your mind. A fiver!

I don't think that I had the Star Wars comics, but I had the Return of the Jedi comics and the Return of the Jedi poster mags.
I tore out some of the full-page pictures and taped them to my bedroom walls, which means that a lot of my comics are now missing pages.
I have a tape/book set. The book has a picture of the Falcon on the front.

My dad was a dental technician and he got me lots of Star Wars toothbrushes from work. I still have a sealed 3po and R2toothbrush.

As a young boy, Star Wars was a) the films and b) the toys/merchandise.
After watching Return of the Jedi on VHS in 1986(?) I would be 12.
At this time I would be about to go to high school, I was doing karate, and my dad was pushing for me to play rugby.
Therefore, the films had concluded with Jedi, and I wasn't playing with or collecting toys.

On a side note, I still enyoed watching the films on TV/VHS, but it wasn't until 2005 when my interest picked up again.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Great memories. Star Wars dominated the lives of so many of us in our childhood, and beyond.

I'm certain that the Double Bill hit cinemas nationally in 1982 as I have the advertising. I haven't yet found evidence of individual cinemas showing a Double Bill in 1981. I'm not ruling anything out in my research.

Craig.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I don't know how they dated that poster to 1981. That's the poster that was used for the national release in 1982.

If I have time, when I next visit the National Newspaper Archive, I may look through old newspapers from Rugby.

If you're interested in the Star Wars film releases in Rugby, if you still live there, your local library will have old newspapers for your area.

Craig.

xvx269

Simply Sci-fi said:
I have a cutting where a cinema was visited by Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker. The threadbare sub-Halloween Darth Vader standing behind them was assumed to be Dave Prowse.

I was there; it was the same cinema in Low Fell, Gateshead referred to above.
Can you post the cutting? I'd love to see any media from that day!

xvx269

Richard_H said:
The DV tour came to Gateshead. I always thought it was Prowse but last week he released a statement saying he has never toured in costume.

Remember seeing "Prowse" in costume at Shepard's of Gateshead. He signed his autograph "Darth Vader" which always made me wonder...

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I really need to archive my cuttings properly. A lot of items got separated into different boxes and folders when I moved home recently. If I come across that cutting, I'll post it here.

Ade1

I just read your post about meeting Darth Vader at Martins Toy Shop in Kingswood. I was there myself and have often wondered about the visit. I remember him shaking my hand and I said, Your not the real Darth Vader, are you?" And he replied in a thick Bristolian accent, "Oh yes I am"
Ade

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom