Overseas postage costs

A

Anonymous

Would just like to know if any of you have been caught out with high postage costs from overseas purchases? Customs clearance fees, taxes, etc. I realise it may depend on the size and weight of the package.

Going back a few years, i remember winning a bid on ebay for couple of MOC figures (from USA) and when they arrived i signed for them and had to pay some bulls**t customs clearance fee.. Think it was about Ã'£40!!

Anyway.. My plan was to buy some carded figs off 'bluesnagman's ebay shop' (link found through Lando's Locker). Nice site you got there cocofstar, and an amazing collection too! :D

If any of you guys have purchased items from USA or bluesnagman for that matter in the past, it would be much appriciated if you could possibly give me some advice on excessive/hidden postal charges, as i'd hate to have to shell out more than expected again. :roll:

Cheers.

cocofstar

Sith Lord
If you are buying through Todd (Bluesnagman) he will keep you right :wink:

I have been hit with 3 customs charges over the last couple of months and they really take the edge off buying from the States :( I always try to get the seller to mark a small value on the shipping form and most times they do at my risk and other times they won't :?

P.S Thanks for your kind words about the site :wink:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just had a parcel from OZ and I managed to escape a customs charge..........some how! 8) :lol:

spoons

Grand Master
I've never had a customs charge, but I've rarely bought anything worth more than $100 from the states. Although I am missing two parcels at the moment..... they're probably in customs as I type :cry:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Post is still ****ed up after that strike. :roll:
I wouldn't worry too much they are probably just sat in a sorting office somewhere!

boba frett

Jedi Master
Customs charges seem very random - sometimes you'll get hit other times not.

Always ask the seller to declare it as a gift under $70 but be warned you would be able to claim compo if it gets lost!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice on costs, i reckon i'm gonna have to leave any expensive SW purchases for the mo with xmas coming up! Hmm.. I could just get everyone cards this year and spend all that cash on SW goodies for me! (after all it's the thought that counts) lol. :lol: :twisted:

bluesnagman

Padawan
Hey Stevo!
I always declare everything as a gift and I will also put a low value on the package. I have never had anyone have to pay any outrageous customs fees. Let me know if I can help you out.
Thanks, Todd

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
A customs charge can be on anything as low as 18 pounds sterling which is as little as $36 dollars. I suppose it just depends if you are unlucky enough to get picked. I had a $500 value on an item and got an eightyfour pounds customs charge. :cry:

A

Anonymous

Hey Todd,

Sorry for the late reply (been working away from home). Thanks for the info on your postage methods, i'm sure i'll be making a few purchases in the near future.

Cheers, :)

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Look what i got yesterday on a package with a value of $56.
customs-1.jpg

PhantomShadow

Jedi Knight
That sucks Twofoot. Not sure if you agree, the Ã'£4 charge you can live with, the annoying thing is Parcel Forces fee - its like paying them extra to deliver... which happens to be thier job in the first place

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
PhantomShadow said:
That sucks Twofoot. Not sure if you agree, the Ã'£4 charge you can live with, the annoying thing is Parcel Forces fee - its like paying them extra to deliver... which happens to be thier job in the first place

Its worse than that because i had to pick the parcel up from the postal depot. :evil: :evil: :evil:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I'd be complaining about that Twofoot!
It says "Goods imported from one private person to another private person as a gift with a value over Ã'£3* are subject to customs charges"

*second figure is obscured but it's clearly Ã'£30+

And $56 isn't over Ã'£30, even if you take the exchange rate as only being 1.9!
Cheeky bastards have done you there! :twisted: :evil:

No doubt even if you get a refund the very reasonable (that's sarcasm) Ã'£8 Royal mail handling fee WON'T be refunded!

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
PhantomShadow said:
TWOFOOT said:
Its worse than that because i had to pick the parcel up from the postal depot. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Did you pay the fee at the depot?

Yes. They didnt even attempt to deliver it. They just stuck a card through my door while i was at home so i ran out and the driver said he didnt have it with him because it had a charge on it. :evil:

I got caught because the invoice on the customs stated it was a transaction for goods and not a gift which bring it above the Ã'£18 charge. :cry:

PhantomShadow

Jedi Knight
TWOFOOT said:
Yes. They didnt even attempt to deliver it. They just stuck a card through my door while i was at home so i ran out and the driver said he didnt have it with him because it had a charge on it. :evil:

You can pay the charge on-line. Then they deliver it next working day - since your paying them extra (bastards) make them work for it

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
Last time I had a parcel with a customs charge Parcel Force delivered it to my door and then told me I had to give them a cheque so I could have it !! :lol:

AndyG

Jedi Knight
PhantomShadow said:
You can pay the charge on-line. Then they deliver it next working day - since your paying them extra (bastards) make them work for it

I've paid over the telephone using an automated service as well.........

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom