Planning permission

sith-smith

Grand Master
Anyone here ever applied for planning permission?

I know different councils do things differently, but I'm about to submit planning permission, so wondered what I might expect :?

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
I've just been through the whole process and building work started today. 8/9 weeks of turmoil and mess, but should be worth it in the long run.

For me the planning process was quite straight forward as out architect pretty much delt with it all. He draw up some plans, submitted them, council then come out for a nose then suggest some changes which the architect adjusts on the plans then bobs your uncle it should be approved. Took about 6/8 weeks in total.

One word of warning be ready to write a lot of cheques, planning permission, building regs, water board, sewer assessment. The list goes on. :(

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah same as above for me expect to wait twice as long as they say it will take if your council is anything like mine. The only other thing I would say is it might be worth knocking on your neighbours door's to tell them what your planning on doing. (If you haven't already) Good luck with it anyway.

lejackal

Grand Master
It's also more likely to be accepted as is if there is something similar on another house on the street already, extra floors, extensions etc.

sith-smith

Grand Master
That's what I was hoping. But when I took plans down to check, the advisor told me they wouldn't be accepted...even though I had pictures of houses having done what I wanted.

Seems a bit hit and miss

lejackal

Grand Master
You must've had the wrong school tie on or forgotten the secret handshake ;)

Edit: Or alternatively it's the 3rd Monday since the last Wednesday before the next Tuesday that Glenda was off and we do things a bit different when she's not here :lol:

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Hey Gary,
I'm currently going through the process but doing everything myself. I'd be happy to help you out with some advice if you need it. Just drop me a pm.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Rebel_Runner said:
I've just been through the whole process and building work started today. 8/9 weeks of turmoil and mess, but should be worth it in the long run.

For me the planning process was quite straight forward as out architect pretty much delt with it all. He draw up some plans, submitted them, council then come out for a nose then suggest some changes which the architect adjusts on the plans then bobs your uncle it should be approved. Took about 6/8 weeks in total.

One word of warning be ready to write a lot of cheques, planning permission, building regs, water board, sewer assessment. The list goes on. :(

Things work a HELL of a lot slower over here. My auld dear is looking to convert stables into a house. Been a year since she applied, it STILL hasn't got to the planners. Roads are demanding she rip out 20 yards of hedge on either side of the drive way so she can see on coming traffic etc. Obviously, every house in the world has a clear 20 ****ing yards either side of it's drive way. The genius bit is this will require the Water Board to move pipes and man hole covers (you can guess what they will say) but the Roads wanker is refusing to see sense. Even if she agrees (and the Water Board agree) the odds are the Planners will reject it because he requires dozens of trees to be cut down. Yet the little Hitler in Roads is having none of it. It's his way or the highway. :twisted: :twisted:

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Unfortunately the various authorities will make you comply with current regulations regardless of what neighbouring properties have. That will be the reason for the 20 visibility splay.
It's infuriating but sometimes I can see their point, at the end of the day things need to be built to modern standards otherwise we'd never improve the country.

A year for planning is insane though, typically the process should take 6-8 weeks.

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
sith-smith said:
That's what I was hoping. But when I took plans down to check, the advisor told me they wouldn't be accepted...even though I had pictures of houses having done what I wanted.

Seems a bit hit and miss

Have you got an architect? They should be doing that kind of thing for you. We were looking at making a late change to our plans which had already been approved, but rather than officially re-submit any drawings he had and informal 'chat' with our planning officer who was able to tall us that he wouldn't have supported any further changes due to the size of the existing extension. Save me a lot of time and money.

If you you haven't got an architect then get one as they know how the system works, they will save you a lot of time, money and trouble in the long run.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I did have proper architect drawings. He said they should pass.

When I took it down for a review they said no.

All very annoying

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Clarkspie&chips said:
Unfortunately the various authorities will make you comply with current regulations regardless of what neighbouring properties have. That will be the reason for the 20 visibility splay.
It's infuriating but sometimes I can see their point, at the end of the day things need to be built to modern standards otherwise we'd never improve the country.

A year for planning is insane though, typically the process should take 6-8 weeks.

I take your point but it's 20 yards EITHER SIDE of the drive way, so forty yards all in. It's beyond ridiculous. Sadly planning takes a lot lot longer over here. I have no idea why, but six months is considered very quick.

Rebel_Runner said:
We were looking at making a late change to our plans which had already been approved, but rather than officially re-submit any drawings he had and informal 'chat' with our planning officer who was able to tall us that he wouldn't have supported any further changes due to the size of the existing extension. Save me a lot of time and money.

We did something similar on a project in Newcastle Upon Tyne. We met with the local planner who was very approachable, he said what we could and couldn't do. We showed him plans he pointed out a few pretty minor issues and said he thought we'd get permission. We did. TOTALLY different to Norn Iron, where planning all seems to be little Hitler's, jobs worths, and sadists who enjoy making other people's lives hard.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Gary,
Can the planners comments be taken on board to get the plans approved?
I have used a planning consultant before who was useful in that he knew the planners and could get more leverage than I could on my own so that might be an option to explore.
If the plans are rejected you can always go down the appeal route but in my experience it's better to try and give the planners something so they feel like they've got their little victory!

sith-smith

Grand Master
My builder has suggested putting them in. With some luck they may pass. There is always room for discussion if not and some minor altering if necessary.

I've lost all contact with the architect, which is a little annoying, but builder has access to one who also works for the council, so worse case scenario if it all fails I'll get him to redo it.

When down today just to check I had all the forms correct, will hand it in and pay Monday...then just wait.

I'm wondering if the houses that have already done what I wanted did so without permission?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
If you go onto your local planning portal you can do a search for historic applications. Your neighbours will be on there unless their works came under permitted development or they're illegal!

These mini guides are handy
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
we've hit a slight (understatement) snag (not the blue kind!) planning regs have failed the foundations at the rear of my extension due to proximity to the sewers, which sit at 2.7mtrs down...I'm just waiting for a TMNT to pop there head out and ask for a pizza! :lol:

I'm laugh because if I don't I will cry as my only option now is pile driven footings 3mtrs deep which is going to add thousands to the cost of the build. On the bright side I can probably build up about 10 stories on them if I want to. :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Doing stuff like this is a financial black hole in my experiance, planning takes ages, construction takes twice as long as the builders said it would (sorry to any builders on here) and it always cost's more than the budget. Worth it in the end though.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
If you go onto your local planning portal you can do a search for historic applications. Your neighbours will be on there unless their works came under permitted development or they're illegal!

These mini guides are handy
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

I did check, but couldn't see the most recent one. I'm guessing it's without permission. Would have used it as an example in my appeal, shold i need one...but don't want to s rew someone over!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Doing stuff like this is a financial black hole in my experiance, planning takes ages, construction takes twice as long as the builders said it would (sorry to any builders on here) and it always cost's more than the budget. Worth it in the end though.

I don't disagree, but a fixed price contract with the builder removes any nasty surprises. Unless you start making changes once they have started to build. If you do, you're an idiot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom