Return Of The Jedi 40th Anniversary Cinemas

Ollie-Wan

Youngling
I saw it Monday 1st May 2023 at the Odeon Stadium Milton Keynes 7pm showing. It was a sold out screening. No sign of any posters, but I did manage to get my ticket printed out at the popcorn counter as it was "scan only" tickets to get in. This is the first time since May 1997 (26 years ago!!) I have seen ROJ on the big screen and it holds up very well. Those shots of the fleet assembling are still some of the best ever created and show ILM at the top of their practical VFX game . The Falcon swooping and banking past the fleet is pure poetry and looks effortless. The speeder bikes are still exciting and look genuinely fast with a sense of danger. I was struck at how much detail was put into the Ewok's behaviour, lots of small gestures and actions I'd not noticed before of them interreacting with each other and their environment. I know it's an unpopular opinion to be in favour of the little fuzzballs, but they serve an important purpose in the mythology that Lucas is showing us. Hopefully we wont have to wait another 26 years to see it, and the rest of the saga, on the big screen again where it belongs!

Ollie-Wan

Youngling
Official box office figures are in from the BFI:
1The Super Mario Bros. MovieUSA/Jpn£ 3,067,431Universal
2Evil Dead RiseUSA/NZl/Irl£ 1,059,777StudioCanal
3The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold FryUK£ 784,698eOne Films
4Ponniyin Selvan 2Ind£ 618,244DG Tech
5Dungeons And Dragons: Honour Among ThievesUK/USA/Can£ 575,796eOne Films
6John Wick: Chapter 4USA£ 479,677Lionsgate
7Star Wars: Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi (40th Anniversary)USA£ 446,291Disney
8AirUSA£ 374,598Warner Bros
9Polite SocietyUK£ 220,278Universal
10MissingUSA£ 208,798Sony Pictures

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Went to Manchester to see it

watched it in the 80s with my son and introduced him to Star Wars, so this time went with my son and my 5 year old grandson .. who loves SW, he sat all the way through glued to it!
tradition started 😄

Latest posts

Top Bottom