Some advice please (Cantina Adventure Set) UPDATE - Blue Snag graded

WuhersStall

Padawan
First, love this forum. I've been reading threads and checking out people's collections for the past few weeks and have really enjoyed it.

Second, I'm in the process of cataloging and selling a vintage collection (everything is from 1977-1980). While I have no experience with vintage SW, I have been researching it relentlessly for the past few weeks so I've picked up on one or two things. So I have a Cantina Adventure set that is almost complete. I'm missing the cardboard cases for the figures as well as the cardboard "sleeve" that would house them. My questions is, which option would bring me the best financial result:

1. Selling the Cantina set whole (as pictured)

2. Selling the Cantina set and Blue Snaggletooth separate

3. Grading the Blue Snaggletooth and selling it separate

4. Grading the Blue Snaggletooth and selling it with the rest of the Cantina set

Or, to put it another way, is my Blue Snaggletooth in a condition that would warrant being graded?

I know grading loose figures seems to be a bone of contention a lot on forums and I understand that many not only dislike grading, but downright loathe it and take jabs at those who do like it. While I certainly respect everyone's choice as to how they like to collect, I'd like to keep the nature of the discussion civil and just about which avenue would (likely) see the largest return. Thanks in advance for any input and, again, I've really enjoyed my time on this forum and will continue to visit it regularly. In fact, I'm already mulling over which pieces from the collection I may just hang on to.

091_zpslwo74yqs.jpg

071_zps4xwu61bc.jpg

072_zpscych2tos.jpg

073_zpsmymuiilp.jpg

074_zpsuiuzaz8h.jpg

075_zpswmhj7p4q.jpg

Richard_H

Grand Master
As is I reckon you could ask £200 for the Blue snag and that is where the money is. I bought a cantina loose for around £40 with no box or instructions.
Graded will add value to it. I think grading the whole lot is the best way to make the most money IMO but it's the snag which is the key.

Timatronics

Padawan
Hi,

That Snaggletooth is a beauty. I'd be very interested in it whenever and whatever you decide to do its one of the last 7 I need to complete.

As Richard says. Getting it graded will definitely increase the value but also by doing that you may not sell it quicker than if it's loose. I'm new to this also so I'm no expert but I think you'll find a buyer either way you go.

Tim

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Personally I would sell all together, but the blue snag is in great shape and would grade high.

The set would go for between £300 to £400 as is , if you go down the route of grading you will be paying out for the grading , time and postage to and return , so all these would need to be put into consideration , also you decide on going to eBay minus 14% to eBay and PayPal

If you sell in here , you will get a good price and no fees

Good luck

WuhersStall

Padawan
Thanks for the input, everyone. It is much appreciated.

Seems like getting the Blue Snag graded is the best route. My plan was to just put everything on ebay auctions and letting them fly. I have a lot of stuff that is opened but appears to have only been used for display and still contains original box/instructions/inserts and complete. I've got 30+ SW/ESB figures that were opened but many still have the bubble attached and the figure was placed back inside for storage.

My next question is, should I wait to get Blue Snag back from grading so that listing draws more attention to all my other listings or will it not matter? Could I just put everything else up and do fine and sell the Cantina set when Snag is graded? I'm pretty sure the Cantina set is the main drawing piece, although I have a Cloud City set as well.

Thanks again for all the input and sorry if these are noob questions, but, as you've probably already guessed, I'm a noob.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
You can get it graded in a week at ukg, on the fast turnaround.

So maybe you should wait , but there are no guarantees on price , it can go up and down , as I said before remember the fees

WuhersStall

Padawan
So I just got the Blue Snag back from AFA and it graded an 85. Thought I would check the experts and see if that changed anything?

At this point, my plan is to just sell the whole set as a whole but wanted to pick everyone's brains one last time. Thanks again.

Arthur

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Congrats on the AFA 85 Blue Snagg 8) was going to say looking at the pics I thought it would grade 85 and the diff in value between an 80 and 85 is considerable :!:

The set as a whole couldn't have been Q graded because as u say it's missing a few bits and not in unused condition.

I reckon u would get £300+ for ur 85 Snagg now :!:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom