The LEGO Corner

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well, there's definitely something strange, in the neighbourhood!

Did you get anything in the end?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just that Big Bang Theory Ideas set for my collection. I chickened out on the GBHQ. I'm in Florida for 3 weeks in April then Las Vegas for a week in May so I may even bring back the Sandcrawler from there in baggage. Even with the screwed up rates it's a better deal than buying over here by about £40. Wonder if I can get loyalty points over there with my UK card??

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
^ if you mean Lego VIP points then yes, they are global.

Outside of double points there is growing speculation about the May the 4th promo figure, a first order stormtrooper is shown on the May Calendar but there was also chat about another Genral Hux figure?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
monkey_roo said:
^ if you mean Lego VIP points then yes, they are global.

Outside of double points there is growing speculation about the May the 4th promo figure, a first order stormtrooper is shown on the May Calendar but there was also chat about another Genral Hux figure?

Thanks. So for every dollar I spend on the US I get a point as opposed to over here where it's every pound I spend. So they cost less in the US and are worth more in the UK. Kind of like the vintage SW market!

I hope the May 4th promotion is a good one. They've been declining over the years. First time I got involved was in 2012. They were selling the Obi-Wan Starfighter (weakest of the UCS by a long shot) for half price. And ou got a TC-14 minifigure, a Tie Fighter polybag plus an R2-D2 "limited" poster. The best thing was they ran out of Tie Fighter Polybags so started giving away 2 X TC-14s instead. As they were going for around £20 you got your order almost free.

Compared to the 5% off that they to offer now those days seem like a lifetime ago.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Result! Having chickened out of buying the Sandcrawler the other day I've just bought one from Toys R Us through eBay.

With the help of code CUK20 (valid until 2200 today, 31/03/16) I saved £50 and got it for £200 delivered. Chuffed to bits.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Result! Having chickened out of buying the Sandcrawler the other day I've just bought one from Toys R Us through eBay.

With the help of code CUK20 (valid until 2200 today, 31/03/16) I saved £50 and got it for £200 delivered. Chuffed to bits.

Nice price! :D

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Well as most of you know I've had to sell up most of my stuff to pay for my wedding so haven't got much free cash to spend. What I have been able to get today though has blown me away, and it didn't cost me a penny. I picked this up today
c4b7528a591b24b6749393a4c7789adc_zpsx2djmg8y.jpg

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
The May 4th promotion has started at Lego today. Not much on offer with only 10% being taken from a range of SW sets, a free Forst Order Stormtrooper polybag and the latest in the SW Lego movie style posters (TFA) one being offered.

I've ordered another Sand Crawler as its down to £225. Take off the extra 5% cash back courtesy of Quidco and the 5% in loyalty point and the freebies that makes it around £185ish delivered. You won't beat that and, rest assured, this must be retired soon and when it does it'll help pay for your next Lego purchase.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
It may be universally hated by AFOL's but I still liked it enough to pick up the new Assult on Hoth set today. Not sure when I will get to build it though.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Had it not been all the previous versions, it would be a reasonably good set.

However the biggest problem for me is that it's not really one big base unlike the death star or ewoks village. That would have been much better

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yeah, it is a bit of a rehash and that will hurt it. I think if you are new to Lego Star Wars then this is a great way to get a good spread of Hoth elements, but without the AT-AT and only 2 snow troopers it isn't much of an Assult.

The ion cannot and generator are new and we haven't had any base doors since 2007 (Hoth Rebel Base 7666) and even then that was a limited relelease, and in all honesty the new doors are much better, so it isn't too bad, the Wampa cave element is daft, especially stacked against the bigger set from 2010 (Hoth Wampa Cave 8089) but even that wasn't a massive cave element.

One of the big issues is the lack of any base interior, Hoth Echo Base 7879 from 2011 was a bit of a mess so fans were already demanding a better effort but to not bother at all is a bit of an issue.

I'm lucky enough to have all the above sets so I will be putting them all together which I am hoping will make for something worth displaying.

This will almost certainly tank given the reception it has gotten so there is a good chance this will be discounted at some point in the next 12 months and if that is by more than 20% then it becomes a good purchase.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yeah, but this isn't an isolated thing, which is more worrying.

The batcave before it was a bit of a misstep, this years exclusive was a pointless trooper. Prices are going up yet quality is down. There is even a bit of discontent among the AFOL community with the way Lego are starting to act, maybe becoming a touch elitist in there approach, certainly not the open friendly company from a few years back.

I many ways I see shades of Hasbro coming on, roll back 10 years ago and Hasbro were churning out over priced under quality stuff and trying to fob most of it off as exclusives because in the years before that had gone well and suddenly it wasn't. When a firm that can do no wrong forgets that's only a phrase....

Anyway, I built the Assult on Hoth set today, certainly isn't an UCS but as a system play set it works quite well, my 5 year old loves it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom