The lined waffle seal - Toy Toni or not?

Hod10

Padawan
Hi there,

Attached are some photos of a Toy Toni Palitoy 65C Lando Skiff. This is currently for sale on ebay and seemingly correctly described as a Toy Toni, (no separate bubble for the helmet). However, the bubble has the lined waffle seal.

It has previously been thought on this forum that the lined waffle seal is factory produced by Palitoy, it is a common seal on the Palitoy 45b. Any ideas though how this has the lined waffle seal? If it was assembled by Toy Toni how did he get the lined effect?

Cheers

Attachments

• Palitoy Lando TT 01.jpeg
    Palitoy Lando TT 01.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Palitoy Lando TT 02.jpeg
    Palitoy Lando TT 02.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Palitoy Lando TT 03.jpeg
    Palitoy Lando TT 03.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Palitoy Lando TT 04.jpeg
    Palitoy Lando TT 04.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Palitoy Lando TT 05.jpeg
    Palitoy Lando TT 05.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 75

Hod10

Padawan
The same seller had this German GM45A 2-1B which sold recently and it was correctly described as a possible Toy Toni. However, this also has the lined waffle seal. Factory seal or fake?

Attachments

• GM 2-1B TT 01.jpeg
    GM 2-1B TT 01.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 44
  • GM 2-1B TT 02.jpeg
    GM 2-1B TT 02.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 44
  • GM 2-1B TT 03.jpeg
    GM 2-1B TT 03.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 43
  • GM 2-1B TT 04.jpeg
    GM 2-1B TT 04.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 42

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I looked at the Lando listing and my thoughts were that it was ok.
Strange.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Both look good to me. The key for me, is the press mark on the back, which you can sometimes only see from certain angles, lighting dependant. Can't really see it properly with these, but the rest looks fine.

Markzane

Padawan
TT's can have the horizontal line seal.

As far as I know the TT 65 back Lando Skiff had the figure wearing the helmet, while the genuine ones had a separate compartment at the top of the bubble. So I would say a Toni.

Hod10

Padawan
TT's can have the horizontal line seal.

As far as I know the TT 65 back Lando Skiff had the figure wearing the helmet, while the genuine ones had a separate compartment at the top of the bubble. So I would say a Toni.
What's your theory on how he would of got the horizontal line seal?

Markzane

Padawan
The lines are from the glue on the bubble, which would have been applied before Toni got hold of them.

It was thought that the horizontal line indicated an original seal for many years, but not anymore.

In fact I had a 45b Bossk confirmed as genuine a few years back on this very forum because of this type of seal, but it's now considered a TT.

Markzane

Padawan
The giveaway with my 45b was it had a PBP Bossk in the bubble, which would have meant it was placed there a couple of years before they were manufactured.

There's loads around, usually graded 85, with some 90's. Some are pretty much impossible to tell from the genuine articles.

Hod10

Padawan
The giveaway with my 45b was it had a PBP Bossk in the bubble, which would have meant it was placed there a couple of years before they were manufactured.

There's loads around, usually graded 85, with some 90's. Some are pretty much impossible to tell from the genuine articles.
The lines are from the glue on the bubble, which would have been applied before Toni got hold of them.

It was thought that the horizontal line indicated an original seal for many years, but not anymore.

In fact I had a 45b Bossk confirmed as genuine a few years back on this very forum because of this type of seal, but it's now considered a TT.
Interesting. How did you have it confirmed that your 45b Bossk was a Toy Toni? Or is it your own conclusion? Who no longer considers the horizontal line seal to be a factory seal, where did you learn this?

Markzane

Padawan
It was confirmed as one a few years back, by some pretty knowledgeable guys who know more than me about Palitoy mocs.
I think it's fairly commonly known now that the horizontal seal is no guarantee of being genuine.

batman

Padawan

Thousands of products get heatsealed to blister cards on a daily basis, the process is fairly simple.
The pattern that can be seen sometimes is a heat imprint from the tooling used to secure the bubble to the card.
There's no glue added to the bubble, you can make any thin piece of plastic stick to the front of an original cardback using heat and preassure without the use of an added adhesive.

If these horizontal lines are on TT cards they are caused by the material he put between his heat source (the iron) and the blister or the material on the table where he ironed them shut.

Markzane

Padawan
It's a strange one as the seals are exactly the same pattern on both TT and genuine Bossks.

Most of the other Tonis have a smooth seal, so he would have to have created this lined pattern intentionally - which seems unlikely given his lack of attention to detail when matching bubble and figure to cardback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom