Vintage SW time travel

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
You have access to the TARDIS for one trip.
You're only allowed to do something SW related - not allowed to change world events so no need to feel guilty - it's exclusively for a vintage Star Wars moment.

What do you pick -

Go back and buy your favourite carded figure
Go see the film on the opening night
Talk your way onto the set and get a glimpse behind the scenes (steal a prop)
Have a chat with an actor no longer with us
Relive a Christmas morning from the 70s or 80s

Not sure what mine would be……obviously I'd love a Palitoy R2 :) but I do like the idea of blagging my way onto the set and holding the "your father's lightsaber"

Last edited:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I'd tell my younger self and parents not to throw any packaging away and to buy as many figures as possible and stash them away, until July 2023!

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
I'd tell my younger self and parents not to throw any packaging away and to buy as many figures as possible and stash them away, until July 2023!
While you're there can you phone my house and tell us the same so I don't have to spend hours looking for a B Wing box and inserts on eBay 🤣

IMG_7201.png

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Great question! I know what mine would be - I have a very hazy yet firm memory of visiting a toy shop in Grimsby in the mid 80s and seeing a shop full of Star Wars toys. Sadly I can't remember any detail including which shop it was, but that memory is what spurred me on to start collecting after seeing the "digitally remastered" videos in 1994. So I would love to go back and relive that trip to add a bit more substance to it - which shop it was, which figures and ships they had on display, what I bought etc.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great question! I know what mine would be - I have a very hazy yet firm memory of visiting a toy shop in Grimsby in the mid 80s and seeing a shop full of Star Wars toys. Sadly I can't remember any detail including which shop it was, but that memory is what spurred me on to start collecting after seeing the "digitally remastered" videos in 1994. So I would love to go back and relive that trip to add a bit more substance to it - which shop it was, which figures and ships they had on display, what I bought etc.
That's a great memory and option for your trip (y)

kabuchi7

Padawan
Supporter
I would go back to the day my dad took me to the local Newsagents where they were selling off hundreds of POTF figures, i remember my dad asking me if i wanted any figures as they were on sale and i said 'no, i don't like the packaging' 😖

lejackal

Grand Master
I have two really;
~first up is my childhood toy shop in Leicester. I went in pretty much every weekend until the late 80's and they always had a rack of Trilogos in the middle of the shop. A trip back to say 100% what I didnt pick up week in week out would be good. The second one is a similar idea;
~next up I went to the American Adventure theme park in about '92 or '93 and they had Star Wars figures for sale - again looked but never touched. Would love to have one, or at the very least know what I missed!

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Great Question Christmas day 80 /81 had a few SW toys that day but also get to see nans and grandads again

UKS

Jedi Knight
I wouldn't buy anything - but I would have a good old look and breath in the atmosphere of certain childhood toy shops. The local
Wool shop that sold figs, Gamelys in Worthing, Debenhams and maybe Zodiac toys in Bristol. Defo Woolworths.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I would go back in time and ask my dad not throw out my boxes and cardbacks as he did in the 80s :rolleyes: I was keeping them and one day when I got home he had cleaned my room and all my cardbacks and boxes was thrown out and the garbage man took them :mad:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
@Pomse2001 I had similar with my card backs. I distinctly remember the argument with my Mum, when she was getting me to sort out my drawers and eventually gave up and they went in the bin. Probably only had around 10, but there were several Palitoy 30-backs, including Boba.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
@Pomse2001 I had similar with my card backs. I distinctly remember the argument with my Mum, when she was getting me to sort out my drawers and eventually gave up and they went in the bin. Probably only had around 10, but there were several Palitoy 30-backs, including Boba.
Sorry to read this also did happen to you. Sounds like you lost some good cardbacks. I do not remember which variant my cardbacks was, I remember I had 2 speeder bike boxes and some cardbacks from my figures, but I remember the backside from some of them and some of them was kenner with the Rancor on the back and others was palitoy but maybe only 45 back.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Oh I forgot I also had tri-logo cardbacks 😂 I think I also had some esb cardbacks but I only with 45 backs.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Just one trip - that's a tricky one. Think I'd like to visit my local toyshop (no longer there) some time around 78/9. I don't have many memories of it from that time. Quite a few from the 80's though.

The only late 70's memory I have is seeing the Kenner Death Star for sale - though I didn't realise it was the Death Star. I remember that I already had the Palitoy version and when I saw it I thought it was maybe a rebel base. I guess I could have been around 6/7 years old.

Latest posts

Top Bottom