Wanted

Nostalgic Richie

Hi
Total newbie and if this is already a thing please somebody direct me to it. Getting older I have hit a point where I'm feeling all nostalgic about my youth, especially my old toys. Star Wars was my world growing up. Living through the films followed by the launch of the toys was just magical. I remember all the Christmas mornings putting the ships together and adding the decals with my dad. Sadly both my Dad and my old toys are no longer so I am trying to rebuild some of my collection. I have til now been buying off Ebay but I'm sick of getting poor quality figures and repro weapons and accessories. Almost all sellers now list as floor tested but may not be original. Some look good copies and others are clearly tat. But finding authentic figures is hard. So I have just joined this site in the hope of learning a few things and possibly buying a few figures from other genuine collectors at a reasonable price. Prices on Ebay are bonkers at times and there is still little guarantee as to authenticity.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Welcome to the forum Richie. Good to have you on board :)

Regarding vintage prices today, yes they are insane. There are still bargains to be had, but you usually have to work hard to find them. They are out there though, if you're patient. Childhood lots are probably the best way to pick up genuine, complete figures, although care is always needed. Knowledge is your main ally if you want to avoid getting stung. There's an awful lot of knowledge on this forum, but also on other excellent sites like Variant Villain (https://www.variantvillain.com), and the best advice I can give you is to try to read up on the subject. However, whilst you're doing that, feel free to ask questions on this forum if there's something you're not sure of.

As for sales on this forum, they do still happen, although not as regularly as they used to since Facebook exploded, however if there's something specific you're looking for, you can always try your luck posting in the 'Most Wanted' thread (https://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/forums/most-wanted.8/).

Lastly, if you can't find authentic accessories elsewhere (and it's almost always cheaper to buy complete figures than to buy the figures and accessories separately), there are some reputable eBay sellers that list genuine accessories. They're not cheap (just like pretty much everything in the hobby these days), but they are genuine.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Nostalgic Richie

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the reply. My childhood collection was donated to an aftershock club in the mid 90s. I didn't know til I asked about them in the early 2000s lol. We were then expecting our first child and I was hoping to trigger an interest we could share. I started collecting and got the bug. It quickly got out of hand with boxed ships and playsets, loose and carded figures filling our spare room. When I think of the items I had then it makes me cry lol. I learnt a lot collecting then. I was buying much from the US and Canada, some from Australia and a little from Germany and France. I amassed some rare items all in great condition and in good boxes. Items like the Samdcrawler, Sonic Landspeeder, multi figure mailaway sets et etc. But as time passed my daughter was taken by Harry Potter and Co so Star Wars took a back seat and when we needed to extend our home the whole lot got sold to fund it. So this is my 3rd attempt lol. I won't ever get back the collection I built in the early 200s as the prices are just through the roof from what you could buy at then. Just the shipping costs now from the US are more than what I used to pay for items and shipping all in. So this time out it's a small collection of ships and a few playsets and hopefully a complete set of figures to display in my man cave.

I have been trying to buy small to medium bundles of figures supposedly from the sellers childhood. But I end up with lots of duplicates and incomplete figures and still a fair number of repro items which I hate. It's hard to spot the better quality repros and with many of them now mimicking the originals in float tests and the quality of the molds it's hard to spot til you get them in hand and look close, feel them, listen to them etc. The repro items back in the late 90s early 2000s were fare less prevalent an so much easier to spot lol

I will get a short list posted of figures I'm currently looking for. Also a couple of ships and playsets.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi
Total newbie and if this is already a thing please somebody direct me to it. Getting older I have hit a point where I'm feeling all nostalgic about my youth, especially my old toys. Star Wars was my world growing up. Living through the films followed by the launch of the toys was just magical. I remember all the Christmas mornings putting the ships together and adding the decals with my dad. Sadly both my Dad and my old toys are no longer so I am trying to rebuild some of my collection. I have til now been buying off Ebay but I'm sick of getting poor quality figures and repro weapons and accessories. Almost all sellers now list as floor tested but may not be original. Some look good copies and others are clearly tat. But finding authentic figures is hard. So I have just joined this site in the hope of learning a few things and possibly buying a few figures from other genuine collectors at a reasonable price. Prices on Ebay are bonkers at times and there is still little guarantee as to authenticity.
welcome to the forum, you can buy or try to trade on the forum. Here we do not sell repro or fake stuff ;)

Nostalgic Richie

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I'm trying lol.... posted a wanted list but no sellers responded just yet. I am not a repro fan.... in fact the opposite. I hate it lol. It's really making collecting hard and taking away a lot of the joy.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I'm trying lol.... posted a wanted list but no sellers responded just yet. I am not a repro fan.... in fact the opposite. I hate it lol. It's really making collecting hard and taking away a lot of the joy.

Saw your list, have you looked in our sales thread to see if some of the items are for sale ? I agree I also do not like repro and some of the new ones are harder to id than the first repro weapons. Even as some of the sales threads are old, members can still have the items for sale ;) you always try to contact them to see if they still have the items for sale.

Top Bottom