What's the mentality of paying more for loose?

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Collecting in general has gone up immensely recently. Im actually considering selling my last 17 to fund a nice MesaBoogie guitar amp ive always wanted. Ive never been fussed about the last 17, but it seems as though some regular figures are going throught the roof. I only bought them as i used to be a completeist but i never actually owned any as a lad as football and bmx was taking over.

SOJ

Sith Lord
I started collecting loose in 2000. By 2007 I had a loose complete run bar 5 of the last 17. I wasn't part of any community, It was just little old me, collectormania twice a year and eBay. It wasn't until I started actively collecting again in 2012 that I completed my loose run. 12 years to complete my loose run !!! Admittadly I did unintenallionty pick up some repro weapons along the way which as I educated myself I replaced. Which as frustrating as it was at the time, looking back it was also part of the fun.

Cut to 2016 and many of these newbies won't await 12 months let along over a decade to complete a loose run. Facebook has turned the whole of it for many into a pissing competition, a mass brawl for attention. The only price at means anything is the last priced paid for a particular figure and a high magnitude of people with a **** everyone else mentality hidden behind comments suggesting otherwise.

None of them listen or just don't care and as saddening as it is, that's their right to.

I've got my loose run so have no runner in this race but I've spoken out numberous times both here on the "today on facebook" thread and Echo Base itself before I left that group about sellers taking the piss and admins turning a blind eye. I've probably come across to many as a right negative bastard and I know have been, but it's only because I care.

In retrospect the expression pissing in the wind springs to mind. More than anyone it's the sellers and certain group admins I've had issue with and who have helped culture where we are today. However buyers want to buy and will pay the prices the sellers want. Very little goes unsold. End of. Moaning about it isn't going to help. All we can do is let them get on with it. Unfortunately we're going to have to let this fire burn out and see where it leaves us. I'm done getting upset about it.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I am contemplating buying a loose graded set of figures. I would be buying a loose set not because I can't afford a carded set but because I don't want a carded set. The only carded items I want are Palitoy 12,20 and 30 back figures which means my carded set will only ever amount to 40 figures. So if I want to own a full set then I have no choice but to buy a loose set, so this could result in me paying more for a high grade loose figure than a low grade carded one.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Sorry if I am adding fuel to the fire with this question, but what does everyone think about the loose graded set of figures for sale on eBay for £10,000?

lejackal

Grand Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Sorry if I am adding fuel to the fire with this question, but what does everyone think about the loose graded set of figures for sale on eBay for £10,000?
I think you should definitely go for it, it's a great investment for the future

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think the ratio of loose figures without weapons (or beaters as we used to call them) to complete figures is very high so there are a lot of people hunting for accessories. Often they give up and buy a complete figure instead. Buying a MOC doesn't solve their problem as they still have an incomplete loose figure unless they're stupid enough to open the MOC.

Just simple supply and demand in action again I guess.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Is £10K too much for a loose graded set (96 figures I believe, no vinyl Jawa or Blue snaggletooth). How much would you pay?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Pomse2001 said:
I do not undertand why people pay more for a loose than a moc or even a baggie :shock:

If they want the loose and not the MOC and the loose is more expensive what choice do they have?

lejackal

Grand Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is £10K too much
**** yes
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is £10K too much for a loose graded set
**** yes
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is £10K too much for a loose graded set (96 figures I believe, no vinyl Jawa or Blue snaggletooth)
**** yes, even with those two
Wreck-It Ralph said:
How much would you pay?
I wouldn't pay a premium for someone elses opinion full stop, I have bought one graded loose figure and one graded MOC and didn't care for either. If you want a graded set buy nice figures and get them graded yourself, if you just like the cases then buy nice figures and get some GW acrylic cases for them.
I believe the going rate for the full 96 is 3.5 to 4K although a little compromise, patience and luck should allow you to complete the set for under 3K ungraded

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I suppose we should all be thankful that collectors are prepared to pay more for loose than MOC as if they were not that could potentially lead to an increase in U grading.

lejackal

Grand Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I suppose we should all be thankful that collectors are prepared to pay more for loose than MOC as if they were not that could potentially lead to an increase in U grading.
Are you for real?

If loose costs more than MOC then that is why U-Grading would happen - greedy cunts with no interest in preservation

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
This is something we covered on the podcast. I have slapped MOC watchouts on some last 17 figs.. some beater MOCs can sell for almost half the price of what some loons are paying for mint or graded examples. The more that price increases, scumbags will buy them, remove them from the card and make a tidy profit in the constituent parts. sad days and as a collective we need to make sure beaters are appreciated and loved and are in the hands of collectors.

stormcab

Sith Lord
naughtyjedi said:
This is something we covered on the podcast. I have slapped MOC watchouts on some last 17 figs.. some beater MOCs can sell for almost half the price of what some loons are paying for mint or graded examples. The more that price increases, scumbags will buy them, remove them from the card and make a tidy profit in the constituent parts. sad days and as a collective we need to make sure beaters are appreciated and loved and are in the hands of collectors.

Very true. I bought 2 MOCs the other day that were the cheapest I've ever bought, and they weren't beaters. I don't have much space so want to keep my collection small, but am prepared to buy up some cheapies/beaters to preserve them from being opened.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Pomse2001 said:
I do not undertand why people pay more for a loose than a moc or even a baggie :shock:

If they want the loose and not the MOC and the loose is more expensive what choice do they have?

Wait until one will be for sale to a better price. We see so many items sell for crazy prices and the next day or week others buy the same items
for much better prices.

Why pay £235 for a luke stormtrooper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-star-wars-Last-17-Luke-Stormtrooper-mint-/201804476495?hash=item2efc7bf04f%3Ag%3AZ8AAAOSwopRYk55y&nma=true&si=%252BKSwivA2bVHMc6ov%252BOBOLaAgBuY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

When you can get one for £173 or cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-star-wars-mint-luke-stormtrooper-last-17-/322388645284?hash=item4b0fdc55a4%3Ag%3ALMcAAOSw-0xYd9Cn&nma=true&si=%252BKSwivA2bVHMc6ov%252BOBOLaAgBuY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

stormcab

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Pomse2001 said:

Wait until one will be for sale to a better price. We see so many items sell for crazy prices and the next day or week others buy the same items
for much better prices.

Why pay £235 for a luke stormtrooper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-star-wars-Last-17-Luke-Stormtrooper-mint-/201804476495?hash=item2efc7bf04f%3Ag%3AZ8AAAOSwopRYk55y&nma=true&si=%252BKSwivA2bVHMc6ov%252BOBOLaAgBuY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

When you can get one for £173 or cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-star-wars-mint-luke-stormtrooper-last-17-/322388645284?hash=item4b0fdc55a4%3Ag%3ALMcAAOSw-0xYd9Cn&nma=true&si=%252BKSwivA2bVHMc6ov%252BOBOLaAgBuY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That's my philosophy. I've been annoyed I've missed out on a few pieces that rarely come up. I was tempted to pay whatever it cost to get them, but know that sometimes things that are rarer pop up, they get bought for a hefty sum, then soon after another appears and goes for significantly less. People abviously now wary there is a box of them been discovered lol.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is £10K too much
**** yes
Wreck-It Ralph said:
**** yes
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is £10K too much for a loose graded set (96 figures I believe, no vinyl Jawa or Blue snaggletooth)
Wreck-It Ralph said:
How much would you pay?
I wouldn't pay a premium for someone elses opinion full stop, I have bought one graded loose figure and one graded MOC and didn't care for either. If you want a graded set buy nice figures and get them graded yourself, if you just like the cases then buy nice figures and get some GW acrylic cases for them.
I believe the going rate for the full 96 is 3.5 to 4K although a little compromise, patience and luck should allow you to complete the set for under 3K ungraded

Personally I do not have the knowledge or experience to differentiate between original and reproduction weapons and after reading some posts the float test does not always work as some repro's float and some originals sink. I also read that there is a shortage of original weapons. I also am not that confident in grading the loose condition of a figure so it seems easier and less stressful to buy a graded set. What do you think a fair price would be for the 10K set on eBay?

Thanks for your help

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Are you for real?

If loose costs more than MOC then that is why U-Grading would happen - greedy cunts with no interest in preservation

I can't see that U grading is that prevalent in this country as only AFA do it making it more expensive for the profiteer to do thereby reducing his gain. Also if it was widespread how do you explain loose figures going for more than MOC. I also presume some collectors do not buy U grades.

lejackal

Grand Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
lejackal said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is £10K too much
**** yes
Wreck-It Ralph said:
**** yes
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
How much would you pay?

Personally I do not have the knowledge or experience to differentiate between original and reproduction weapons and after reading some posts the float test does not always work as some repro's float and some originals sink. I also read that there is a shortage of original weapons. I also am not that confident in grading the loose condition of a figure so it seems easier and less stressful to buy a graded set. What do you think a fair price would be for the 10K set on eBay?

Thanks for your help
Save your money and invest time in learning

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
This post also sums up why loose can go for more than MOC.

And as Carl said previously, £3.5 to £4K.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom