When did collecting become so aggressive?

Mrleemur

Jedi Knight
I had a similar snotty response on a Sabine Lego figure, "I think we have different ideas about what it's worth"

I just went back stating that I had a price I was prepared to pay, and that the option to make an offer was there so I was using it.

manners cost nothing, just remain polite yourself and move on.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I agree, its harder and harder to find good ebay users these days and the lack of manners is getting worse. :roll:

One thing I will say as a casual seller of non-SW stuff, when creating a new listing to sell on Ebay the option to remove the 'best offer' option is tucked away and sometimes can be missed when setting it up. If you have multiple items to sell this can be a pain as it doesn't clone to the next listing and you have to manually untick the box for all your listings individually. People use phones to list as well, I know my wifes phone has the 'best offer' option in a different place to the ebay setup when using my laptop.

Doesn't excuse nastiness and poor manners but I'm sure a lot of sellers that have the 'best offer' tab listed either don't know about it or know how to remove it. I've a feeling you can't edit that function and have to cancel the listing and do it again.

Crumm

Padawan
stratpack said:
I agree, its harder and harder to find good ebay users these days and the lack of manners is getting worse. :roll:

One thing I will say as a casual seller of non-SW stuff, when creating a new listing to sell on Ebay the option to remove the 'best offer' option is tucked away and sometimes can be missed when setting it up. If you have multiple items to sell this can be a pain as it doesn't clone to the next listing and you have to manually untick the box for all your listings individually. People use phones to list as well, I know my wifes phone has the 'best offer' option in a different place to the ebay setup when using my laptop.

Doesn't excuse nastiness and poor manners but I'm sure a lot of sellers that have the 'best offer' tab listed either don't know about it or know how to remove it. I've a feeling you can't edit that function and have to cancel the listing and do it again.

This happened to me, you don't have to cancel the listing, you can just revise it.

But when I first started receiving offers I was like "what's going on?". Took me a while to figure it out.

Also they have now added this horrible idea where if your "Buy it now" auction has almost run it's course (say 3 days to go out of 7), it will automatically add a "best offer" option to the listing.

Paullaura

Padawan
TheJabbaWookie said:
I tend to just put a minimum bid that I will listen to Offers on. Then if someone offers a ridiculously low amount and is wasting your time it is just rejected there and then by eBay.

Exactly what i do too

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Damian, good to see you back, mate. It's super unfortunate you've run straight into a sheepskin coat wearing (no offence, Laurence :D ) turd in your first transaction. The hobby has attracted exactly the sort that Iain describes, sadly. It's funny, perhaps I was never aware of them, but back in the 90s and even early 2000s SW fans were a much gentler sort: no aggression in deals, no nasty one-upmanship and no cliques. Well, that's how I remember it, I very much doubt it was, it's just the internet didn't have the all pervading influence and effect on the hobby then.

What I will do is disagree with a lot of the above statements: prices have not increased. In fact, I'd say you're going to be able to pick up a lot of loose stuff at lower prices than in the middle of last year. Sure, there's still the "flavour of the month" effect (Imp Dig has been a slow burner but yes, prices for figs without nose damage is about £70+ ATM) but on the whole loose complete are down around 10%, I'd say. Most carded has remained static, too. Sure, some have continued to rise and some have rocketed, but the run of the mill has stagnated, if not dropped. There are more bargains than usual to be had on ebay, too. Picked up some cracking stuff recently at good discounts.

And to top it off, the GBP is up to $1.42 at the moment. When you were last here you'd have been looking at about $1.25 to there's a good 10%+ discount on buying in from the US.

Ignore the delboy dickheads and you'll fair just fine, mate. Enjoy the journey :)

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'd be taken aback too and would have a sour taste in the mouth. Thankfully most people have a basic grasp of manners though so hopefully it doesn't put you of your stride too much.

wrighty

Sith Lord
Too many of these in my opinion :lol:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 815

indianawars

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
And to top it off, the GBP is up to $1.42 at the moment.

Hi Simon,

I had no idea that the GBP was creeping back up. Well now, this is a game changer! Off to eBay.com, I go!

(Also, thank you, everybody for the great advice, I really do appreciate it :) )

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
And to top it off, the GBP is up to $1.42 at the moment. When you were last here you'd have been looking at about $1.25 to there's a good 10%+ discount on buying in from the US.

Iain must dread it when this happens :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
indianawars said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Hi Simon,

I had no idea that the GBP was creeping back up. Well now, this is a game changer! Off to eBay.com, I go!

(Also, thank you, everybody for the great advice, I really do appreciate it :) )

Yeah, that would be the brexit meltdown every one predicted. Everyone's an economist. :roll:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Dannywhiteley said:
indianawars said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Hi Simon,

Yeah, that would be the brexit meltdown every one predicted. Everyone's an economist. :roll:

Given the GBP is still depressed by a good 10-15% against almost every other major currency I'd say they were still right.

subzero

Sith Lord
Well prices for vintage SW will be cheap soon anyway when the next global stock market crash / recession comes this year or next. :wink:

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
As someone who has just back into collecting vintage I completely agree that it's a daunting prospect wrestling with eBay etc. At least you can make an educated guess thanks to the forum.

itfciain

Grand Master
Stuart Skinner said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

He does :lol:

itfciain

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Dannywhiteley said:
indianawars said:
Hi Simon,

Given the GBP is still depressed by a good 10-15% against almost every other major currency I'd say they were still right.

Yes, I would say the weak dollar is down to a couple of fools in the current administration that said they wanted a weak dollar ... be careful what you wish for

maxf

Jedi Master
itfciain said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Dannywhiteley said:

Yes, I would say the weak dollar is down to a couple of fools in the current administration that said they wanted a weak dollar ... be careful what you wish for

Tax changes on the horizon and the first time in the history of modern economics that quantative easing is going to be unwound as well - plus a buffoon in charge won't help.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
itfciain said:
Stuart Skinner said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

He does :lol:

You've had a few lucky escapes in the last fortnight already, Iain. You're run of luck can't continue forever! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom