X-Files is back

Richard_H

Grand Master
lol - I don't like it when human characters consistently triumph against ridiculous odds like Mulder did at least 5 times in that Episode

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Mini99 said:
Richard_H said:
I preferred Ep1 to Ep2. There were some good nods back to classic X-Files in both of them but 2 was just a little too far fetched for me.
Tend to agree with Rich here, Ep1 had some great references to the X files of old, but not sure about Ep2.
Will watch Ep3 and may have more if an idea on what I think of this series.
The X-Files 'far fetched'? When did this happen?! ;-)
What.....I thought it was a documentary! :roll:
:lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Today I saw episode 6, I would say that was also a great episode 8)
That's good to hear :)

So what episode is the next in the uk ?

So far I did not like episode 4 it was to strange for me or to crazy for me :lol:
They've only shown 2 episodes so far. Episode 3 will be on Monday night.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
That's good to hear :)

So far I did not like episode 4 it was to strange for me or to crazy for me :lol:

Ok, I still think episode 2 was the best, I think it was awesome with Langly from The Lone Gunmen, damn I miss this guys 8)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

Ok, I still think episode 2 was the best, I think it was awesome with Langly from The Lone Gunmen, damn I miss this guys 8)
SPOILER ALERT for Episode 2

I loved it as well, and actually as far as X-Files story lines go, it's one of their more plausible ones. Granted AI hasn't been cracked yet, so in that sense the story is obviously far-fetched, but eventually it will be and so it's far from impossible to think that one day there might be virtual, sentient 'beings' living in cyberspace, able to communicate with the outside world.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

I loved it as well, and actually as far as X-Files story lines go, it's one of their more plausible ones. Granted AI hasn't been cracked yet, so in that sense the story is obviously far-fetched, but eventually it will be and so it's far from impossible to think that one day there might be virtual, sentient 'beings' living in cyberspace, able to communicate with the outside world.

I think there was a little The Lawnmower Man over the episode, I do not know if you have seen The Lawnmower Man ? :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

I think there was a little The Lawnmower Man over the episode, I do not know if you have seen The Lawnmower Man ? :D
I have, and you're right :-D. Mind you, 'The Lawnmower Man' wasn't all that great and famously had so little resemblance to the Stephen King book upon which it was allegedly based, that Stephen King successfully sued the producers and had them remove his name from the film, which was originally called 'Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man' (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawnmower_Man_(film)).

I think The X-Files did it far better in half the time :-D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

I have, and you're right :-D. Mind you, 'The Lawnmower Man' wasn't all that great and famously had so little resemblance to the Stephen King book upon which it was allegedly based, that Stephen King successfully sued the producers and had them remove his name from the film, which was originally called 'Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man' (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawnmower_Man_(film)).

I do not know the book and I have not seen that movie in 20 years :lol: But I thought it was great 20 years ago, but maybe if I see it today then I will maybe not think the same today :? :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Now that has brought back some dreadful memories!
I read the book and found it a good read, then watched the film.
I was looking forward to it, but always have reservations about book to film adaptations, and this time, as with many I was right to have them.
That film was very very poor! (Putting it politely)
I didn't know SK took the producers to court, good for him.
I wouldn't want my name associated with that!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Damn episode 7 will first come to usa tomorrow and it looks like they are taking a break in danish tv, no x-files this week or last week. Maybe thursday next week they will show episode 7 in denmark :?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Well, they showed episode 4 in the UK last night, and I have to say I thought it was pretty weak. Funny, yes, but a good or 'believable' X-Files story? Definitely not! It was clearly constructed (as have large parts of previous episodes) to have a go at President Trump and his ludicrous behaviour (a very noble and worthy aim, of course), however in doing so the show seemed to compromise on story, and instead served up an equally ludicrous re-writing of the show's history. Obviously, I get that this was exactly the point of the episode, and whilst in that sense it undeniably succeeded, it doesn't mean it was a good or enjoyable one. I'm hoping next week's ones will be better (we're getting 2 episodes next Monday, for some reason!).

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I seem to remember the original series used to throw one of these quirky episodes in every now and then, bit of a filler but watchable if only for Gillian Anderson who gets hotter and hotter, defiantly when rocking the Scully look. :D Not really re watched the original series since it was first on in the 90's, seen a few re -runs every now and then, but I do like the nostalgia of it being on again.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Well, they showed episode 4 in the UK last night, and I have to say I thought it was pretty weak. Funny, yes, but a good or 'believable' X-Files story? Definitely not! It was clearly constructed (as have large parts of previous episodes) to have a go at President Trump and his ludicrous behaviour (a very noble and worthy aim, of course), however in doing so the show seemed to compromise on story, and instead served up an equally ludicrous re-writing of the show's history. Obviously, I get that this was exactly the point of the episode, and whilst in that sense it undeniably succeeded, it doesn't mean it was a good or enjoyable one. I'm hoping next week's ones will be better (we're getting 2 episodes next Monday, for some reason!).

I agree I remember when I saw episode 4, I thought it was bad and strange. So far I have seen the first 6 episodes and only episode 4 have been bad if you ask me.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
SPOILERS for Episodes 5 & 6

So, Channel 5 here in the UK showed us episodes 5 and 6 on Monday night, and must say I enjoyed both of them. In my opinion, this series is already a great improvement over the previous one, with both of these stories being good examples of why. Both would have slotted seamlessly into earlier series as they felt like typical examples of good X-Files episodes. Episode 5 gave us a solid monster / psi-powers story concerning the new on-going tale of Scully's son, whilst episode 6 revealed some of Skinner's back story in a wonderfully paranoid tale of the US Government up to no good and poisoning and controlling its citizens. All thoroughly enjoyable Mulder and Scully fayre!

I'm looking forward to episode 7 now, and considering how strong I think this series is, I really hope Gillian Anderson reconsiders her decision not to make another series, as there seems to be plenty of life left in the old dog yet!... Not that I'm calling Gillian Anderson a dog, you understand! A fox, yes, but not a dog! ;-)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
SPOILERS for Episodes 5 & 6

So, Channel 5 here in the UK showed us episodes 5 and 6 on Monday night, and must say I enjoyed both of them. In my opinion, this series is already a great improvement over the previous one, with both of these stories being good examples of why. Both would have slotted seamlessly into earlier series as they felt like typical examples of good X-Files episodes. Episode 5 gave us a solid monster / psi-powers story concerning the new on-going tale of Scully's son, whilst episode 6 revealed some of Skinner's back story in a wonderfully paranoid tale of the US Government up to no good and poisoning and controlling its citizens. All thoroughly enjoyable Mulder and Scully fayre!

I'm looking forward to episode 7 now, and considering how strong I think this series is, I really hope Gillian Anderson reconsiders her decision not to make another series, as there seems to be plenty of life left in the old dog yet!... Not that I'm calling Gillian Anderson a dog, you understand! A fox, yes, but not a dog! ;-)

I agree this season is much better than the last season. I saw episode 7 yesterday. I think it was good but I hope not the world will be like that or as I understand it, it allready is someplaces in the us :shock: I will not say more, you guys have to see it, it was crazy but also funny :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
**** **** ****, I missed episode 8 yesterday. Some polish contractor cut the tv cable :evil: So now I have to wait to next week before they show the episode again :(

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
**** **** ****, I missed episode 8 yesterday. Some polish contractor cut the tv cable :evil: So now I have to wait to next week before they show the episode again :(
Lars, sorry you missed episode 8. At least you can watch it next week :)

I saw episode 7 this week (SPOILERS), and agree it was funny and weird! Not a very typical X-Files episode by any means. I actually thought they might do the whole thing in silence, as they took about 5 minutes before anyone spoke :D. And as for the premise, ridiculous though it is right now, give it a few short years, and who knows? :shock: I refuse to accept 'smart' devices as being inevitable or good. Some can be, but as I ranted elsewhere (http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36196), who the hell needs a 'smart' toaster?!

Anyway, I'm still enjoying this season, so bring on episode 8! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom