Header image

Time to call it a day.

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Time to call it a day.

Postby jedisearcher » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:19 pm

_Lee_ wrote:He said that we should just watch the films again for a bit and that would make things better. Bloody hell, he is only 7!!!

Cool kid 8)
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:52 pm

Well, I think your lad & mrs are right Lee - just take some time off. I think most people have given up on RS lately and just stick to doing whatever it is that makes them happy, so if I were you I would do exactly the same.

Your views on the autograph issue are probably shared by more than you think, it's just that on RS it's easier to plod along like a sheep than say what you really think and risk losing out in being a part of the community (something nobody should really fear just by voicing their opinion but it is what it is over there..).
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

walkie
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby walkie » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Screw RS, I voluntarily ditched that forum after some unethical buyer stitched me on a deal.

10 days RS free and feeling better already :)
Wanted: Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Meccano, Canadian Instruction Sheets, $$$ waiting!!

Visit My Vintage Paperwork Limelight Click Me!
The Glasslite Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me! & The Droids Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me!

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:52 am

I have been searching and I am sorry if I have bumped this thread and it's not suitable. Is there a 'Pickup,' collecting thread? I could only find this regarding losing the collecting Star Wars bug. I am going through this stage myself at the moment. Nothing serious just considering selling everything I have bought over the last few years. I will never sell my childhood figures and ships but I feel the buzz slipping.

Does anyone else ever feel like selling their own personal collection (not for financial gain) thegave built up?
I don't flush the toilet, I scare the shit out of it. ~Chuck Norris~
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball~

tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tigerham » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:14 am

yoda wrote:I have been searching and I am sorry if I have bumped this thread and it's not suitable. Is there a 'Pickup,' collecting thread? I could only find this regarding losing the collecting Star Wars bug. I am going through this stage myself at the moment. Nothing serious just considering selling everything I have bought over the last few years. I will never sell my childhood figures and ships but I feel the buzz slipping.

Does anyone else ever feel like selling their own personal collection (not for financial gain) thegave built up?

Hi my friend. I sold up everything I had around 5-6 years ago and never looked back. I had some amazing items and was just thankful for the moment I had during those years.

Recently I just got back into collecting again and even though prices have soared since I still have no regrets as am now gathering a slightly different and more selective collection.

So what ever you decide do not worry too much as if you ever wish to get back into it then they'll always be there. Sometimes the knowing is just enough. I hope things work out for you. :)

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:56 am

yoda wrote:I have been searching and I am sorry if I have bumped this thread and it's not suitable. Is there a 'Pickup,' collecting thread? I could only find this regarding losing the collecting Star Wars bug. I am going through this stage myself at the moment. Nothing serious just considering selling everything I have bought over the last few years. I will never sell my childhood figures and ships but I feel the buzz slipping.

All good advise above and I am starting to decide what things to let go of myself as I really do have to much stuff that's starting to clog the house up. I tend to collect lots of different toys and really have no way to display it all so have been thinking it's time to slim.

You mention that you're thinking of letting go of your most recent purchases so does this mean mainly modern items? I've picked up a lot of modern releases since the release of the new trilogy and do think that this will be the area I let go of first once I've got rid of some multiple vintage pieces I have. For me like you, there are some items I will never let go of and I still want to have a nice collection but it would be good to let go of some of the lesser items I have that don't really hold any value to me and just keep those more special pieces (not necessarily always the most expensive ones).

Best of luck with what you decide but just make sure it's the right pieces for you that you're letting go of and I'm sure you won't have any regret. I sold a complete Kenner 12 back moc run years ago for just over 2K and even though they would be worth much more now I really don't regret it as I didn't grow up knowing the Kenner brand (I"ve also since picked up a complete resealed set so still kind of have them anyway :lol: ).

Ian

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 am

I too sold everything 7 years ago, and felt good about the decision, as I had not collected SW in any earnest since about 2001, this feeling lasted for a while!
In between these years I have always collected, what I collected kept changing and I never felt happy with what I was collecting, so kept selling up and starting afresh with something new.
I had a "re awakening" two years ago and started to look at Vintage SW on the internet and was astounded by the price rise since I sold up, and more so the information that was out there on this hobby and the community spirit that was quite evident as this was not present when I last collected in the 1990's.
I started to listen to the VR and Chive cast podcasts and decided to get back into SW collecting again, and have not regretted it one bit.
What I do regret is selling all my collection, I was fortunate that I didn't sell because I needed the money, so why on earth did I sell everything, I really wished I had kept a few (well really a lot) of pieces!
Well rambling over, what I am trying to say is to wait some time before you sell up everything, and then before you do look at what you have, what gives you pleasure and perhaps sell the reminder, and just put the other bits away for a while, if you still don't feel the love in a few years then sell the reminder then, I can't see you loosing money?!?
Take a break, this hobby can be 24/7/365 if you let it, but once sold it's not easy or cheap for that matter to replace what you have, believe me I know from experience!
I hope that this helps.
Whatever you chose to do, good luck. :D

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:24 am

I've never lost my passion for owning my vintage collection, even if for quite a few years I didn't really add much to it. However I totally understand the urge to downsize a collection, especially if the fun has gone out of it. This happened to me with the modern line, which I had collected religiously since 1995, getting multiples of everything to have a loose and carded collection. The problem was, I displayed neither collection and it was all simply stored in brown cardboard boxes that I never looked inside of. By the end, I had a huge collection that I never even saw, and couldn't have seen even if I'd wanted to as it took up so much space simply being stored.

After Revenge of the Sith came out, I made the decision to sell off my modern carded and boxed collection and try to display my loose items. It took a while, but I built display cabinets and put my loose figures, ships, vehicles, etc. in them where I could actually SEE them for a change! :-)

Other than the occasional fleeting pang, I not only never regretted selling the stuff I parted with, I also enjoyed what I had left vastly more. Before I sold, collecting everything had become more of a chore than a thrill. It had started to feel like I had 2 full time jobs; my actual one that paid me money, and the self-imposed one of hunting down and buying everything in the modern line as I didn't want any gaps in my collection. I wasn't enjoying it any more and it was costing far too much, but selling up and displaying what I had left meant that I really could start to enjoy it again. I continued to buy new figures as they came out, but only the ones that I liked, and only one of each of those (before I sold up, I bought everything whether I liked it or not, simply to keep the collection 'complete', which is madness!). And I opened and displayed those figures. It made the whole collecting experience fun again.

In your case, I would recommend taking some time to think about what you really want to do. Don't rush into any decisions you might later regret, but after some serious thought, try to decide what it is that you enjoy about your collection and collecting. If you can identify those areas, hopefully you can continue to enjoy this hobby for years to come. But I would strongly advise against continuing with a hobby as expensive as this one can be if you're not deriving any enjoyment out of it. It's supposed to be fun, not hard work :-)

Ruby2511
Regular
Regular

Postby Ruby2511 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:49 am

Hi, like Tigerham, I sold up a huge collection about 4-5 years ago, never regretted it, enjoyed collecting and the feeling of buying the figures, ships and SW themed goodies but needed to let them go. I have just recently got back into collecting again, loose vintage is my choice and if I see the odd modern bargain then why not. I'm not in it for gain, just sentimental reasons.

I have always loved Star Wars and always will, I like the thrill of finding stuff, love collectable shops and antique places (bit of a hobby) and obsession :lol:

Russ :D

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Ruby2511
Regular
Regular

Postby Ruby2511 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:55 am

Snaketibe wrote:I've never lost my passion for owning my vintage collection, even if for quite a few years I didn't really add much to it. However I totally understand the urge to downsize a collection, especially if the fun has gone out of it. This happened to me with the modern line, which I had collected religiously since 1995, getting multiples of everything to have a loose and carded collection. The problem was, I displayed neither collection and it was all simply stored in brown cardboard boxes that I never looked inside of. By the end, I had a huge collection that I never even saw, and couldn't have seen even if I'd wanted to as it took up so much space simply being stored.

After Revenge of the Sith came out, I made the decision to sell off my modern carded and boxed collection and try to display my loose items. It took a while, but I built display cabinets and put my loose figures, ships, vehicles, etc. in them where I could actually SEE them for a change! :-)

Other than the occasional fleeting pang, I not only never regretted selling the stuff I parted with, I also enjoyed what I had left vastly more. Before I sold, collecting everything had become more of a chore than a thrill. It had started to feel like I had 2 full time jobs; my actual one that paid me money, and the self-imposed one of hunting down and buying everything in the modern line as I didn't want any gaps in my collection. I wasn't enjoying it any more and it was costing far too much, but selling up and displaying what I had left meant that I really could start to enjoy it again. I continued to buy new figures as they came out, but only the ones that I liked, and only one of each of those (before I sold up, I bought everything whether I liked it or not, simply to keep the collection 'complete', which is madness!). And I opened and displayed those figures. It made the whole collecting experience fun again.

In your case, I would recommend taking some time to think about what you really want to do. Don't rush into any decisions you might later regret, but after some serious thought, try to decide what it is that you enjoy about your collection and collecting. If you can identify those areas, hopefully you can continue to enjoy this hobby for years to come. But I would strongly advise against continuing with a hobby as expensive as this one can be if you're not deriving any enjoyment out of it. It's supposed to be fun, not hard work :-)

Very wise words :D

Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue May 01, 2018 12:24 pm

I sold a extensive collection 14 years ago with many rare Palitoy items (30 Back Fett & IG88) and Kenner (Vlix, Telescopic Ben,Vader & Luke) plus many others. I did not regret it as I put the money to good use and started a property investment company which I still have today. Although I did not regret the sale I did miss the collection so decided to start re-collecting last year. Thankfully I have been able to re-buy everything I want except the 30 Back Fett.

If I were you I would not sell anything rare or anything that would be difficult to replace without properly thinking it through which includes discussing it with those closest to you. Then try to imagine how you would feel not owning that piece anymore. If you do not currently display your items then maybe this is something you should do as for me seeing my collection was much more enjoyable than storing them in cardboard boxes. I think the most important question you have to ask yourself is will I feel better or worse when it is gone.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Tue May 01, 2018 1:09 pm

I don't think you'd be missing much on RS anyway!

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 pm

The deciding factor is why you collected in the first place, think about that and get back to that reasoning, if you have been
Drawn in to collecting past what you wanted in the first place, then has it become more of a case of something going a bit out of control and habit forming.

As others have said, if you let things go then don't look back as life is too short, put the cash towards something that makes you and yours smile again, and remember if you sell on to a collector you are making that person smile and giving them some joy so your onto a winner all roun, spreading the SW love :D

The very best of luck whatever you decide, no regrets just look forwards :D
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:48 pm

didnt collect for years, arrived here a few years ago, looking to sell what i had, some wise words from the guys and now i have built up a collection that takes me right back to my childhood which makes me smile every time i walk in the room.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”