Header image

Why is prices going up ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why is prices going up ?

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 pm

SublevelStudios wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
CaptainAntilles wrote:it seems to be loose figures that are going up the most , i got a luke poncho moc for £100 , i went to look for a loose 1 and theyre going for £130 - £140 on ebay , also got a romba moc for £70 and im seeing loose rombas at £75 - £85 .

That is crazy if moc is cheaper than a loose :shock:

And what will that inevitably lead to...?

I do not hope some will open moc because they can earn more money on selling loose figures :(

Mini99
Regular
Regular

Postby Mini99 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:43 pm

CaptainAntilles wrote:it seems to be loose figures that are going up the most , i got a luke poncho moc for £100 , i went to look for a loose 1 and theyre going for £130 - £140 on ebay , also got a romba moc for £70 and im seeing loose rombas at £75 - £85 .

I just don't understand this...madness :shock:

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:53 pm

There going up because your buying all the variants Lars :lol:
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:Why is prices going up and up on the vintage star wars ?

I was also thinking, that we still find childhood lots so there should be more and more star wars on the market. But still prices is going up and up.

Maybe the people who are discovering all these childhood lots are just hoarding them and calling them variants? :lol: :lol:

Just having fun of course but it's true to say that at least in your case, none of the amazing loft finds you've made in recent years have ever made their way to the market because they are all in your collection :D
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 am

Michael Sith wrote:There going up because your buying all the variants Lars :lol:

Never thought about that, but you are maybe right. There are more variant collectors today, than some years ago :oops:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 am

Joe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:Why is prices going up and up on the vintage star wars ?

I was also thinking, that we still find childhood lots so there should be more and more star wars on the market. But still prices is going up and up.

Maybe the people who are discovering all these childhood lots are just hoarding them and calling them variants? :lol: :lol:

Just having fun of course but it's true to say that at least in your case, none of the amazing loft finds you've made in recent years have ever made their way to the market because they are all in your collection :D

:lol: I only keep about ½ or less of the items I find in childhood lots so I give some to the market, I have sold and traded 2 AT-AT walkers with box and some figures not long ago :D But still not all figures are easy to sell I still have 20+ anakin figures for sale £10 each I have only sold 1 the last 12 months and the funny thing is I see other members selling them for more money on the forum :lol: Joe I can help you with some Anakin figures, I am pretty sure this will be your new focus :wink: They are all from tri-logo cards, your favorite cards :D

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 am

People don't generally want the played with stuff - they want mint unused items, so for each childhood collection found there are maybe one or two items which fit that bill - so the demand still isnt filled. IMO.
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:23 am

maxf wrote:People don't generally want the played with stuff - they want mint unused items, so for each childhood collection found there are maybe one or two items which fit that bill - so the demand still isnt filled. IMO.

But we see damaged figures and uncomplete figures sell for crazy money :shock: Last night I saw luke jedi missing the cloak sell for £65 and he had a damaged nose :shock: it was just a normal kenner figure :shock: and a luke farmboy with yellow arms and a broken saber sell for £20 on ebay :shock:

I can also confirm sometimes there is many beautiful figures in childhood lots with stiff arms and legs, but I agree there is also always damaged figures in a lot.

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 am

Pomse2001 wrote:
But we see damaged figures and uncomplete figures sell for crazy money .

I have no idea what's going on there - just impatience I'd guess, but really dont know.
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

SOJ
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SOJ » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 am

I think it all comes down to supply and demand, prices were on starting to get on the heavy side before TFA but as 2016 progressed prices escalated until now. But what is telling is the number of people selling up. Cases in point pop-up R2. Recent sales of this figure going for £300 to £400 has led to more people selling theirs. The amount is too tempting for them. What worrying is they are all selling.

How many times have we seen people "I've been out of collecting for a while and can't believe the price of things now" ,you've never heard them say "wow haven't prices fallen". Even before TFA. We all need to accept prices have increased. Networking and doing favours and deals, scouring eBay and attending events like FF are the way to go if you want reasonably priced items. Facebook is mainly for those who want it handed to them on a plate and have plenty of funds.
i see your schwartz is as big as mine

CaptainAntilles
Regular
Regular

Postby CaptainAntilles » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 am

another thing iv noticed is the wild fluctuations of prices

iv been trying to get an A-wing pilot and was watching/bidding on 7 or 8 the last few days . 1 complete went for £150 a few without weapons were hitting £65-£70 some in poor condition and a couple at £50-£60 . in the end i won 1 in decent condition no weapon for £31

its crazy
I met him in a swamp down in Dagoba
Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda
S-O-D-A, soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "yoda"
Y-O-D-A, Yoda
yo yo yo yoda

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 am

maxf wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
But we see damaged figures and uncomplete figures sell for crazy money .

I have no idea what's going on there - just impatience I'd guess, but really dont know.

I also do not know what is going on, but maybe as some say, there is many more buyers today that I will pay big cash for not mint figures :shock:
Or maybe it is because there is more variant collectors as me :? or maybe some is buying to make a profit :?

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 am

CaptainAntilles wrote:another thing iv noticed is the wild fluctuations of prices

iv been trying to get an A-wing pilot and was watching/bidding on 7 or 8 the last few days . 1 complete went for £150 a few without weapons were hitting £65-£70 some in poor condition and a couple at £50-£60 . in the end i won 1 in decent condition no weapon for £31

its crazy

That is a lot of money some are paying for those pilots, I am glad you were lucky to find one for a much better price.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:04 am

SOJ wrote:I think it all comes down to supply and demand, prices were on starting to get on the heavy side before TFA but as 2016 progressed prices escalated until now. But what is telling is the number of people selling up. Cases in point pop-up R2. Recent sales of this figure going for £300 to £400 has led to more people selling theirs. The amount is too tempting for them. What worrying is they are all selling.

How many times have we seen people "I've been out of collecting for a while and can't believe the price of things now" ,you've never heard them say "wow haven't prices fallen". Even before TFA. We all need to accept prices have increased. Networking and doing favours and deals, scouring eBay and attending events like FF are the way to go if you want reasonably priced items. Facebook is mainly for those who want it handed to them on a plate and have plenty of funds.

I am beginning to think are we beginning to be see that there is not the big difference in prices between some variants of the same figure today :?
Maybe some PBP, Lili Ledy, POCH or meccano figures cost today the same as a kenner figure :? I agree prices have only been going up since TFA, but I remember yak face was going up and came down a little bit again :)

Wreck-It Ralph
Regular
Regular

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:26 am

Has Disney taking over the Star Wars Franchise had any effect on price rises?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”