Header image

At what age does it drop off?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: At what age does it drop off?

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 pm

This is a topic I love :) I guess it's because if you crack this then you've cracked the entire collectibles market. I don't view SW as a source of income (exactly the opposite, actually) but I do buy and sell general collectibles: from medical instruments to board games.

As you quite rightly say, Scott, it's the nostalgia kick and Vintage SW is only really relevant to our generation. Sure you'll get the outliers of collectors in their teens and in their 60s, but the core is as old as the films, give or take 5 years. Yeah there is bound to be a SW market forever, but this old stuff only really means something to us. Parallels can be drawn with any other collectibles market you care to name. Antiques are a little different and have a market of their own. This is linked to tastes and fashion. Remember briwn Victorian furniture? A decent dining table and chairs would have cost you £1,500 10-15 years ago. Now you're talking £300. Same with all sorts of antique stuff. The market there is cyclical.

I'm a firm believer that when we're dead this stuff will be worth 20% of what it is now. It's one reason I can't bring myself to spend thousands on MOCs anymore but really hunt for bargains. No, I'm not buying as an investment but if I'm spending my kid's inheritance then I really don't want to lumber them her with a load of toys that she has zero interest in and are a pain to sell. I collect for me but I don't want it to be selfish, if you see what I mean.

We'll see collectors come and go, as with any hobby. We'll see prices rise and fall, as with any hobby. We'll the manufacturers reinventing the wheel (again and again and again in Hasbro's case) as with every hobby. But I don't think we'll see a solid decline in the market for 20 years. That's when the grown up us decide we need to really start thinking about our kids and grand kids. That's when we downsize (not give up) and sell off stuff. That's when supply outstrips demand.

Still, if the sell-off is linked to retirement age then the sell off won't occur until until our bloody 90s at this rate :lol:

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Ah of course yes with antiques I didn't think of that, it's mostly about fashion and having 'that rare piece' that looks nice and can be shown off to others etc which is what fuels most of that market. That happens too with collectable toys to display and show off with but for the majority of it it is for nostalgia.

Priorities too, iv'e seen several comments from sellers about needing the cash for a mortgage deposit etc.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Cardbackkid
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Cardbackkid » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:56 pm

I think vintage Star Wars will see its end in the next ten years , I'm a bit younger than most vintage collectors I was born in 88 so missed all the toys in the shops but growing up in the early 90’s my dad took me and my two brothers to carboots every Sunday and we amassed a huge collection 250+ figures half a dozen atats , scout walkers , falcons you name it we had it lol unfortunately it was all sold off when we moved house in 97 but I think I'm one of the few of the younger generation that vintage Star Wars actually means something to , when my dads generation has passed I don't think there will be the demand for the stuff maybe just a small group of younger collectors my age that will continue to collect ? My dad has already got to the point where he's selling off his collection and putting the money towards the grandchildren.

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Very interesting. I guess you have to factor in life's other expenses and where priorities lie. With that I reckon this is a golden time to collect, yes the prices are insane but there's a massive buzz across the internet for vintage SW.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:51 pm

I agree that eventually interest (and prices) are bound to tail off, but I do suspect it won't be until the 35-55 year olds currently collecting (I'm 45, for what it's worth) start selling up to 'downsize' their lives / declutter, pay for their own care or help their own kids and grandchildren. But with new films coming out regularly, I can't see Star Wars popularity in general, and the interest in Vintage in particular diminishing for quite some time yet, so I reckon the 10-15 year estimate may be pretty good.

As for me? I have no plans on selling my stuff. Like most of us I suspect, I collect basically for the nostalgia. Just remember though, they don't make nostalgia like they used to ;-)

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 pm

My dad put all my toys in the loft through the mid -late 80's.
My interest in Star Wars remained, but only the original films.
I lived in Tokyo for years and it was there, because of the huge collectors market, that I began to have an interest in stuff from my childhood.
There is vintage stuff in many hobby shops in Tokyo and a lot of memories came flooding back.
SW, MUSCLE, Transformers, MOTU, Action Man, all sorts of stuff.
Revenge of the Sith was released and there was a huge campaign in Japan at that the and the promotions were incredible.
It was at thus point that I slowly got into collecting SW.

I came back to England in 2012 and fished stuff out of the loft...gradually.
The memories and nostalgia. It was great.
Of all my childhood toys, SW is the only thing I've begun collecting.
I don't want to complete a full run and i keep my own toys separate from new buys.
I've got a small focus on the main rebels, loose, but this has branched out to anything I like if its a bargain.
I don't know when it might end for me... I guess its my first wave as a collector, but it does take up quite a bit of my time and dedication of going to toy fairs, reading about vintage, and being on the forums.

I don't know what i might do with ally new purchases in the future.
But I can't see me selling off my childhood stuff.
Apart from the movies, there is a lot of memories attached.
My parents aren't around anymore. They bought me this stuff:
I have the Bossk that my dad tried to fix after stepping on him and breaking his head off.
All the figures with fabric accessories are in mint condition as I didn't play with them so much because my little dog used to like to snatch them and hold onto them, ERG and Squid Head his two favourites.
I've got the box full of weapons that my mum filled and banned me from playing with the weapons in case my dog or cat swallowed them.
All the cardbacks with circles on the back or names missing.
So many memories with these toys that they became more than just toys or collectibles.
Admittedly I'm very sentimental and it would be impossible for me to get rid of them.

I guess the huge amount of cash involved that a decision is made when getting to a certain age: pieces of plastic or a deposit on a house or a new hot hatch?

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:34 pm

That must have been amazing to come back home after all those years to unearth what's basically a time capsule of your childhood.

I think i'd be too emotional to even want to go up there and start looking at it all :cry: :cry:

Great read!

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm

subzero wrote:That must have been amazing to come back home after all those years to unearth what's basically a time capsule of your childhood.

I think i'd be too emotional to even want to go up there and start looking at it all :cry: :cry:

Great read!

Thanks mate.
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff, I post it now and again in the "Other Vintage Collections" thread.

I have to let some stuff go, but it's hard to.
Ideally I'd like to just keep SW stuff only.
I don't really have family heirlooms, or a watch that's been passed down for generations, nothing like that.
I just have photos and toys.

Collecting has two parts for me: preserving what I had from my childhood and buying more stuff.

I don't think age comes into it. I think its about necessity and sentiment.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:56 pm

tobedesu wrote:
subzero wrote:That must have been amazing to come back home after all those years to unearth what's basically a time capsule of your childhood.

Great read!

Thanks mate.
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff, I post it now and again in the "Other Vintage Collections" thread.

I have to let some stuff go, but it's hard to.
Ideally I'd like to just keep SW stuff only.
I don't really have family heirlooms, or a watch that's been passed down for generations, nothing like that.
I just have photos and toys.

Collecting has two parts for me: preserving what I had from my childhood and buying more stuff.

I don't think age comes into it. I think its about necessity and sentiment.

Cool i'll have a browse in the other vintage, haven't been there yet.

I'm the same I like to preserve history and I love the pop culture of my time, kind of a way of holding onto the past I suppose.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:37 pm

I think Jez's dropped off when he hit 48. I'll have to check.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Mine dropped when I was 13 :lol:

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Richard_H wrote:I think Jez's dropped off when he hit 48. I'll have to check.

That has just filled my mind with some images that no one should have to experience... :(
I really think you should keep your private kinks to yourselves ... :wink:

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm deeply nostalgic about the toys of my childhood (obviously including star wars) but also bmx bikes, 80's trainers and sportswear, the places we lived, the people I knew, and can spend hours searching ebay for items that even my brother who lived through it all with me couldnt care less about. I don't know what it is, or why, but as I get older my nostalgia sort of follows me about 25 - 30 years behind. As an example, I'm currently looking for 80's swatch watches I used to own or friends of mine owned.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 pm

I feel there is cause for optimism. Star Wars is a bonafide phenomenon and I think there are strong and valid reasons to believe it will endure way beyond other examples. Britons toy soldiers were mentioned, and that is like comparing a puddle to the Pacific. The highest grossing movies of all time, huge pop culture consciousness, iconic and instantly recognisable characters, video games, books, toys, and every type of merchandise and tie-in you can imagine. The vintage toy line does not exist in isolation like the Britons toy solider line... it exists as 'part' of the global juggernaut that is Star Wars.

Providing that civilisation progresses without a dreadful apocalypse of some kind then we can look ahead and predict the future using reasoned guesswork.

Short term 5 years - We will have at least 3 new Star Wars movies in this time and a major theme park attraction. There is every reason to believe that more vintage collectors will continue to come out of the woodwork, probably more from that 35-45 age bracket, but hopefully some younger ones too.

Medium term 30 years - The bulk of the current collectors will now be aged 65 to 75 years old. My dad is this age, he's retired and he has never been more active in his hobby then he is now. Given that human life expectancy and better health during old age can also be expected to improve over the next 30 years then there is no reason why all of us lot and many more too cant still be enjoying the hobby more than ever in our retirement. In other words i'll see you boys at Celebration at 2047!

Long term 200 years - Not many cultural works can endure for 200 years, but 200 years past in 1817 Jane Austen's books and Beethoven's music were created. If you were to pick one movie from your lifetime that had the best odds of staying culturally relevant and still known of and discussed in the year 2217 then surely you'd have to pick Star Wars. Works that are 'popular' tend to endure better than those that are artistically elitist - look at Shakespeare. Star Wars also has the historical interest of proximity to the Moon landing, the interest of having many further films in the series (there could well be dozens of SW films 200 years hence), and also of being sci-fi. 200 years from now if scientific progress continues apace, then humans will be co-existing with droids as they do in SW and we hopefully will be a genuine space faring species, at least within our own solar system. In short, if I were a guy living in 2217 I know that I'd still love a Hildebrandt Star Wars poster or to have a vintage X-Wing on my office shelf!

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 pm

There are some things from my childhood that I have no interest in. Transformers, ZX Spectrum.... none at all.

Some things I had a mild interest in - I own 3 He-man loose figures and will probably get another 10 over the next x years.

Some things that I am, always will be and always have been passionate about - Star Wars, Guns n' Roses and LOTR especially The Silmarillion.

I have wondered if I'll be online in 10 years, going to cons etc or if by then would it have become a young man's game as the older people like Jez and Iain have sold on and moved off to their retirement communities. I guess only time will tell.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”