When did you.......

lejackal

Grand Master
stop buying any old vintage and actually figure out what you like and want to stick with?

As I'm sure most of you know by now I spend a lot of time buying up any old crap, try it, keep it for a while, sell it and buy something else.

Now after over three years I am ( I think ) developing a better idea of what does it for me, what I actually want to keep.

I've been picking up stuff I had in childhood more and more and now it's sticking.

How long did it take you?
What flicks your switch?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Probably about 10 years ago when I moved into my own place and realised what a random load of stuff I had and not just Star Wars. I still had all my toys from childhood He-Man, Ghostbusters, Thundercats and small amount of Transformers. I sold everything that wasn't Star Wars and put the money towards finishing the loose run.

Then I just brought random MOCs, then decided to go for the 12 backs and then one day read the debut card article on 12back.com and decided to focus on a complete debut run. That was about 6 years ago I think. I have brought the odd boxed item since then but have stuck to it quite well. Because of the recent price rises I have decided to go for a card back side focus as well which is like collecting loose figures 10 years ago.

hellhippie

Jedi Master
about 10 years ago I finally decided that my collection needed to be gone through to find at least good examples of loose figures , especially common stuff . got rid of my paint rubs and knicked up stuff unless it was rare and pricey .

im basically focused on foreign variants . basically .

glad I did as I prices are ridiculous for the quality items

subzero

Sith Lord
Iv'e always only bought what I really wanted from day one really, I never buy anything unless I love it or it's nostalgic.

My entire vintage collection of other toys ( excluding SW ) only consists of things I had as a kid, but as for my SW collection I make an exception as there are a ton of figures in my collection I never had as a kid, but I only buy them today if I really like them. I'm very picky with what I want and there is about half of the entire vintage figure line that i'll never buy unless I start to love the look of certain ones some day.

Iv'e been this way since I started buying things for nostalgia back in around 2001, and every item I buy has to be in as mint condition as possible, apart from my loose SW figure set everything else in my vintage collection has to either be still sealed or mint boxed, i'm a bit of an awkward **** like that. :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I don't think I will ever stop unless I don't have money :lol: But I only buy what I want and then I buy childhood lots and sell or trade the items in the lots that I do not need, but I always keep most of it :D

But I must also admit, that I have had thoughts about my star wars 90s and 00s stuff. I once collected them but maybe 8 years ago my focus changed to variants and then there have not been money for my 90s and 00s focus. I have not looked at it for maybe 8 years, I have no time for it and I do not fell the same for it as I fell for the vintage. So I must admit I have thought about selling most or all of my 90s and 00s stuff and use the money for vintage star wars :? It did not make it better that I found a case full of 90s and 00s figures in zip locks mint that have only been removed from moc for display that I did not know I had. I also found a bag with 35 vintage figures with and some weapons :oops:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I love all of it, from shitty beaters to multi thousand MOCs. The only reason I ever sell stuff is if I need the money, or run out of space. These days I sell much less. I still get just as excited about seeing a £30 Jedi MOC as I did 25 years ago, because that's what I was buying back then. I think newer collectors burn out much quicker because nothing is spectacular any more, you see ultra rare stuff on Facebook every day.

Taffius

Sith Lord
I am restarting and aint got a clue on where I want to go never mind when and how to stop to focus apart from get as many loose as possible with original weapons (where possible :lol: ) as I can.

The nostalgia is key. Large loose collection the goal!

lejackal

Grand Master
I've only ever bought what I wanted, I just don't always want it when it arrives or shortly afterwards :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I have managed to get away from random purchasing, my problem/benefit though is getting an item researching it then going down that avenue.
Baggies are a massive draw for me and hopefully 2018 will allow me to add to the Baggie collection ( MP as well)

There are so many avenues in collecting vintage it's hard to get away from the genuine buzz you get with each new item you add to your collection. Slowly setting up display areas and enjoying it immensely, will never tire of it I know that for a fact!

Reseals and beater Mocs have a massive draw for me, not just from a financial perspective, but the fact that you are saving items. I get a massive buzz when I see a nice moc that is damaged, it's affordable for a meagre budget and with the aid of a toploader you can display it with pride.

I don't think I will ever truly define my collecting ( as I collect vintage tmnt/motion/thundercats etc with my lad, so loads to entice there.

Vintage SW will always win over for me though

Crumm

Padawan
I have only just started and am trying to obtain only what I really want from the outset. Every purchase will be a figure in the best condition I can afford because I don't really have massive amounts of expendable cash to splurge on hobbies. I really want to get my purchases right first time if I can.

Having said that I bought a repro Imperial Blaster that was advertised as real...Rather miffed to say the least.

During my mint loose collection run I don't think I will be spending on frivolous "items of interest". Just on building the collection really.

Taffius

Sith Lord
Taffius said:
I am restarting and aint got a clue on where I want to go never mind when and how to stop to focus apart from get as many loose as possible with original weapons (where possible :lol: ) as I can.

The nostalgia is key. Large loose collection the goal!

Loose collection goal = just got my first cardback! MOCs next!!! :lol:

grinchy

Sith Lord
I've been collecting about ten years now, my loose set is still not complete and I'm finding myself priced out of the market at the moment
So i needed something to add to the collection and focused on minirigs with there boxes, which are readily available and not to pricey, something about the box art really takes me back, i'm working my way through them.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Never. :lol:
Even this time around, after thinking long and hard what do I want to collect, I still see things and think "oh that's nice, I would like that because..."
More focused than last time, but hey a little diversity never hurts, and keeps things fresh!

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
I like all vintage star wars merchandise, I never knew when to stop. I tried to buy everything in a particular range, but some toys evaded me like the the POTF Skiff.

choffialoopa

Padawan
I am all over the place :S

On this forum a few times daily, just lingering and absorbing wisdom.
On Ebay every night searching for stuff.

Worst mistake ever to fall in love with this forum and collecting again... :lol:

Bought a Carrie fisher signed photo yesterday and a blue-ray movie collection signed by Peter, Kenny and David. Requried a lot of research to feel confident they were the real deal. Had to watch an agonicing amount of homemade comic con 2013 London videos to make sure David Prowse was there as Wikipedia stated otherwise...

Also bough a funny suitcase name tag with a C3PO pointing a finger at you with the quote. "These bags don't belong to you" 1£ =))

spoons

Grand Master
I still buy random things that take my fancy but I've got pretty good self-control. Started being more discriminating around 10 years ago with the Han Hoth focus

I do get very tempted by tri logos these days but that's a road I don't want to travel :)

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
I stopped a few years ago, missed some good stuff at car boot sales etc. Kicking myself looking back now :evil:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom