Header image

Recarding figures for display. Your thoughts...

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
TWOFOOT
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Recarding figures for display. Your thoughts...

Postby TWOFOOT » Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 pm

So I really want a set of palatoy 12backs. I'm NEVER going to be able to afford it. Lol. So I'm considering buying a cardback kit so I can display them in all of their intended glory.
Now some people frown apon this and some people think it looks good. So I'm after your general thoughts on the subject.
Not about me recarding my figures as such, but your general thoughts about the subject. :)
This can only lead me down a dark path....... Again. Lol

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Recarding figures for display. Your thoughts...

Postby lejackal » Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 pm

They will cost more than fake cardbacks but you could get reseals or cut bubble examples for a fraction of the MOC price

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Original cards with bubble sliced are another option, pop them in a toploader and they display really well, and it's vintage all the way. Still costly with 12 backs but nowhere near Moc prices.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm

My God, there was a time on this forum when that would have triggered pages of negative comments and probably a ban from a MOD for the OP.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Sadly, having seen one up close, I can confirm that the print quality of the recarding kits really isn't very good. I suppose you can say that they're better than nothing if you want to display your figures on cards, but if you know what an original card should look like, I think you might find yourself always disappointed whenever you look at a recard.

I think the alternative suggestion of collecting a set of vintage cardbacks is a very good one. True, it's no longer a cheap enterprise, but it is still perfectly achievable within many (perhaps most?) collectors' budgets these days, unlike buying a full set of Palitoy 12 back MOCs which are now out of the financial reach of most collectors.

TWOFOOT
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TWOFOOT » Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Grant_C wrote:My God, there was a time on this forum when that would have triggered pages of negative comments and probably a ban from a MOD for the OP.

Pmsl. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was waiting for the abuse. Lol.

But on a serious note. If anyone knows of any split bubble or resealed palatoy 12backs. Then please let me know. :)

TWOFOOT
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TWOFOOT » Thu May 10, 2018 8:56 pm

I had a few 12 backs (kennor) in my original collection I wished I'd of kept (bangs head against the wall). Who'd of thought how much they were going to go up in price. :(

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Thu May 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Not for me at all, but as long as all origional parts are used I think it’s a good thing and a tipe of restoration. Which is a positive.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tigerham » Thu May 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Personally, if MOC's like 12bk Palitoy's are out of budget reach then I don't see why not display them on the cardback kits. At the end of the day it's down to the individual and doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, surely, as one would be collecting for themselves and no other.

Not everyone can afford certain MOC's and although I would have to agree with Jeremy, that the cardback kit prints do not compare to the quality of the originals, they still would show what the designs would be like.

I have two custom cards that I made myself (with bubbles I purchsed online) as I have expereince with print and design so has helped to achieve a close enough match. One was of a cardback that never existed and the other was of one that I probably will never get round to owning for a couple of reasons, cost being one of them and rarity the other.

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm

They look nice, but in hand they don’t feel right... and certainly not authentic.

If you put nice loose figures in them, you’ll never be able to have those figs in hand again! Encased in repro!

Plus if you ever want to sell any of them you will have to rip them off the cards anyway as they are value killers - (potential buyers/bidders tend to assume any weapons /accessories are repro).

If anything, I think I might be more tempted to put a slight beat up set minus accessories in the cardbacks for a bit of display fun , alongside your mintier loose.

I understand why some people are dead against em... Personally I’m mehhh about them. Not for me though.

Taffius
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Taffius » Thu May 10, 2018 10:24 pm

I like the GW acrylic cases where you display a cardback and then have figure separate at the front encased.

Best of both worlds then and protection for both. Easily removable and displayable together.

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Taffius wrote:I like the GW acrylic cases where you display a cardback and then have figure separate at the front encased.

Best of both worlds then and protection for both. Easily removable and displayable together.

Not seen those before - great idea though

TWOFOOT
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TWOFOOT » Thu May 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Taffius wrote:I like the GW acrylic cases where you display a cardback and then have figure separate at the front encased.

Do you have a link to these cases? Cheers

Leemcl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Leemcl » Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 pm

I’ve yet to see a repro Cardback that was a particularly close match to the real thing. Generally the print seems to be off, especially on the reverse.

An option might be to get a cut bubble Cardback and putting a new bubble on the card. I have done this with a couple of RoTJ figures I simply did not want to spend on. These being Madine and Yoda. I VERY CAREFULLY attached the new bubble on to the plastic left behind, so as not to affect the Cardback, the bubble though is not great - see example picture. My Yoda was better but I can’t find it now ( I have too much of this stuff )

Pretty effective - but I would accept that it would / may take a long time to get cut bubble Palitoy first 12 !
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (213.01 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am

TWOFOOT wrote:

Do you have a link to these cases? Cheers

These are what you’re after
https://www.gwacrylic.co.uk/product-page/loose-cardback-and-loose-figure-display-case
These would be my suggestion as well, could work out expensive though!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”