Header image

So I bought an AT-AT Walker on eBay...

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So I bought an AT-AT Walker on eBay...

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:26 am

It's a Kenner ROTJ version. Reasonable enough price IMO so took a punt.

Arrived today, and the AT AT is mint, and box and inserts look aged. It has instructions, sticker sheet, guns and batteries, nice non yellowy guns, and a Kenner bag with all the goodies etc

The box has kaybee price sticker, old yellow tape etc... but it also has a flap that reads : printed by 'R smith and crew'.

Alarm bells ring reproduction etc etc !! but the box looks aged and authentic, sharp print etc

I was wondering if any of you chaps (who unlike me know arses from elbows!) could tell me if this is legit or otherwise?

Not being entirely lazy; did a search myself but to no avail... I've seen some guys on here with monster at at walker collections, so hoping someone can help!

Will post pics if needs be.

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: So I bought an AT-AT Walker on eBay...

Postby lejackal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 am

Would love to add pics to the KayBee library if you wouldn't mind sharing. No idea on the printing though I'm afraid.

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:19 am

lejackal wrote:Would love to add pics to the KayBee library if you wouldn't mind sharing. No idea on the printing though I'm afraid.

Actually I lied... It's not a price sticker, but is a bright yellow kaybee 'this items needs a alkaline battery - ask the store clerk' sticker.

Let me know if that's still of any I nterest and will post pics this avo.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:36 am

Post some pics - in truth I'd be much more worried about the "non yellowy guns" than by the entire box being repro.

Yellowy chin guns are good. Bit like when you see Palitoy Death Star canopies being sold on Ebay and the seller is like "ooh these are crystal clear". Time to run a mile!

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 am

jayums wrote:
lejackal wrote:Would love to add pics to the KayBee library if you wouldn't mind sharing. No idea on the printing though I'm afraid.

Actually I lied... It's not a price sticker, but is a bright yellow kaybee 'this items needs a alkaline battery - ask the store clerk' sticker.

Let me know if that's still of any I nterest and will post pics this avo.

Yes please mate, that would be fantastic

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:51 am

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:Post some pics - in truth I'd be much more worried about the "non yellowy guns" than by the entire box being repro.

Yellowy chin guns are good. Bit like when you see Palitoy Death Star canopies being sold on Ebay and the seller is like "ooh these are crystal clear". Time to run a mile!

Will do. I know what you mean!

I didn't pay too much imo and can always get a refund so not unduly worried about it - and perhaps perversely love a good bit of detective work - so will post some pics later and see what you make of it. Ta

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm not too cluded up on boxed items but it looks genuine to me ... and I prefer the jedi box to empire :)

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Looks really nice to me. I notice the instructions are ESB but the box is ROTJ is that normal?

Nice purchase anyway. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Cardbackkid wrote:I'm not too cluded up on boxed items but it looks genuine to me ... and I prefer the jedi box to empire :)

Thanks for the advice. I'd never seen one with a 'printed by stamp' on it so just rang repro alarm bells despite the fact it looks and feels old. Personally I prefer the ESB box (I guess cos it ties in with the movie more - although I seem to remember an AT AT briefly in ROTJ - although maybe that's the special editions?). I might well put it on the sales here in the near future as it was a impulse buy (not my first!) as I'm trying to concentrate on loose collecting and I'm even getting priced out of those at the mo sadly !

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:58 pm

theforceuk wrote:Looks really nice to me. I notice the instructions are ESB but the box is ROTJ is that normal?

Nice purchase anyway. :)

Yes I only just clocked that (duh!) - sure it can't be right??, but it does feel old at least, a bit brittle and aged etc same with the stickers!

Impulse buy without doing my research so was asking for trouble!

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:27 pm

Well I very much doubt that that box originally came with that instruction sheet, but that's hardly a reason to question the authenticity of the box. It's common practice for people to replace missing items with parts and pieces from other incomplete ones in order to make one complete whole one. I would imagine at some point (possibly the seller that sold it to you, but perhaps a previous owner) has added a set of ESB instructions simply to 'complete' the item. I don't think that should ring any alarm bells as it's perfectly clear those instructions almost certainly aren't original to that particular AT-AT, but that aside, the rest looks decidedly vintage to me, so chin up :-). Hopefully as you say, someone with a similar ROJ boxed AT-AT can set your mind at ease regarding the 'Printed by R Smith & Crew', but it certainly looks to me like you have yourself a nice vintage item, so congratulations :-)

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Snaketibe wrote:Well I very much doubt that that box originally came with that instruction sheet, but that's hardly a reason to question the authenticity of the box. It's common practice for people to replace missing items with parts and pieces from other incomplete ones in order to make one complete whole one. I would imagine at some point (possibly the seller that sold it to you, but perhaps a previous owner) has added a set of ESB instructions simply to 'complete' the item. I don't think that should ring any alarm bells as it's perfectly clear those instructions almost certainly aren't original to that particular AT-AT, but that aside, the rest looks decidedly vintage to me, so chin up :-). Hopefully as you say, someone with a similar ROJ boxed AT-AT can set your mind at ease regarding the 'Printed by R Smith & Crew', but it certainly looks to me like you have yourself a nice vintage item, so congratulations :-)

Ta for the advice. Yep it does all feel right; just never seen that particular stamp on my other walker or vehicles, and it just seemed odd! Will see if I can pick up a ROTJ booklet for it!

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen other vintage boxed items over the years with instructions from the previous film. I could be wrong but if the instructions didn't change they may well have just been getting rid of some unused stock when they first released the new box. Just a thought but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find some Jedi ones.

It all looks great though and I'd be very happy with it.

Ian

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Palifan wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen other vintage boxed items over the years with instructions from the previous film. I could be wrong but if the instructions didn't change they may well have just been getting rid of some unused stock when they first released the new box. Just a thought but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find some Jedi ones.

It all looks great though and I'd be very happy with it.

Ian

Cheers Ian. Yes that thought did cross my mind; in fact Im pretty sure I had an ESB falcon that had a Star Wars leaflet with it as a kid.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”