Am I being a ***t?

PGowdy

Grand Master
chazb73 said:
We've had this debate recently.

I don't think you are being a twat at all.

I think it was Pete that raised the point in the last thread that OK £5 for one figure - it could come to that but it turns up in a shitty envelope with a 2nd class ****ing stamp on it - cost a quid or less.

This happens often with me and pisses me off - "Pen ink!!! what the ****!

Funny I have been charging exactly what it costs for ages to post and I only have a 4.7 for P&P !!! :lol: ****'s sake

I'm so ashamed of you right now. :cry:

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Just out of info, guy has seen my argument and removed his silly combined post bullshit. Its for economy 2nd class NON signed. So clearly he's okay to charge unless you get pissy like I did. Three figs should not shoot up costs when they will easily fit into the same sized package as one. Thats bollox no matter how many ways you try and justify it.

Some of the comments in response have made me chuckle though.

chazb73

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
chazb73 said:
We've had this debate recently.

I don't think you are being a twat at all.

I think it was Pete that raised the point in the last thread that OK £5 for one figure - it could come to that but it turns up in a shitty envelope with a 2nd class ****ing stamp on it - cost a quid or less.

This happens often with me and pisses me off - "Pen ink!!! what the ****!

Funny I have been charging exactly what it costs for ages to post and I only have a 4.7 for P&P !!! :lol: ****'s sake

I'm so ashamed of you right now. :cry:

Sorry buddy :oops:

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Just to conclude.

Items turned up finally today..

I had emailed him regards to where my super duper packaged items when I had heard nothing of despatch or nothing had arrived. I then got a story about how he was moving house yadda yadda. To placate me he added another item. Which was cool..

further days passed and today, irony of all ironies, the carded figures arrived in the most beaten up gaffa taped box you could imagine.. with a special delivery next day sticker costing the guy £8+.. pretty much making him a loss..

wow.. what a transaction.. all he had to do was email me and say, "I'm moving house, do you mind if i send in a couple of weeks"..

theslider

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
People always seem to forget that 3, 4, 5, 6 even 10 figures can be posted in a large padded envelope and therefore recorded postage is much less than a small/medium package.
You wouldn't catch me paying no £6 postage for a couple figures. **** off.
Some guy recently charged me £5 to post about 8 Lego figures. I told him that sounded too much but he ignored me. Then package arrived 2nd class, recorded, £2.40. He got negged.

I can see both sides of the argument here, but presumably you were happy to pay the final auction price + £5 postage Pete? Even if you asked him beforehand and didn't get a response, you were still happy to pay that TOTAL price for those lego figures! If postage is extortionate or just even high then just don't bid!

Personally I always put it as SHIPPING and HANDLING.

If sellers make a bit of money out of P&P charges and they aren't taking the piss then it's fine by me.

PGowdy

Grand Master
theslider said:
PGowdy said:
People always seem to forget that 3, 4, 5, 6 even 10 figures can be posted in a large padded envelope and therefore recorded postage is much less than a small/medium package.
Some guy recently charged me £5 to post about 8 Lego figures. I told him that sounded too much but he ignored me. Then package arrived 2nd class, recorded, £2.40. He got negged.

I can see both sides of the argument here, but presumably you were happy to pay the final auction price + £5 postage Pete? Even if you asked him beforehand and didn't get a response, you were still happy to pay that TOTAL price for those lego figures! If postage is extortionate or just even high then just don't bid!

If sellers make a bit of money out of P&P charges and they aren't taking the piss then it's fine by me.

I respectfully disagree. With the postage at £5 you have to assume it will be packed well and sent recorded. I'm not sure what postage costs so i have to assume the seller is being honest. When the package arrives in a homemade envelope sealed with brown tape and a 2.40p postage cost you know the seller is taking the piss. But what you're saying is that's ok because i agreed to pay what i thought was the correct quoted postage costs.

Also, bare in mind that i DIDN"T agree to pay £5 postage WHEN i 'won' the items. They were listed with £1.50 postage each. I asked for combined postage and the guy ignored me. After several requests over 3 days he finally sent an invoice with £5 postage. I thought, that's a piss-take but i'm gonna pay it and give him the benefit of the doubt but if it turns out he's trying to rip me off then i'll have something to say about it.
What part of that is acceptable. I can't see it personally. There are no "two sides" of intentionally and dishonestly overcharging for postage.

So what if someone lives in Spain and i charge them £10 postage for an item. I know full well it only costs £3.50 to send an item from here to there but i can take advantage of the fact that they probably don't know that and use the old "well, yes, i did intentionally overcharge on the postage and you could only possibly know that once your package has arrived but you saw the postage price, if you didn't like it you should have paid it" Utter utter bullshit. It just doesn't wash. Sorry.

theslider

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
theslider said:
PGowdy said:

I respectfully disagree. With the postage at £5 you have to assume it will be packed well and sent recorded. I'm not sure what postage costs so i have to assume the seller is being honest. When the package arrives in a homemade envelope sealed with brown tape and a 2.40p postage cost you know the seller is taking the piss. But what you're saying is that's ok because i agreed to pay what i thought was the correct quoted postage costs.

Also, bare in mind that i DIDN"T agree to pay £5 postage WHEN i 'won' the items. They were listed with £1.50 postage each. I asked for combined postage and the guy ignored me. After several requests over 3 days he finally sent an invoice with £5 postage. I thought, that's a piss-take but i'm gonna pay it and give him the benefit of the doubt but if it turns out he's trying to rip me off then i'll have something to say about it.
What part of that is acceptable. I can't see it personally. There are no "two sides" of intentionally and dishonestly overcharging for postage.

So what if someone lives in Spain and i charge them £10 postage for an item. I know full well it only costs £3.50 to send an item from here to there but i can take advantage of the fact that they probably don't know that and use the old "well, yes, i did intentionally overcharge on the postage and you could only possibly know that once your package has arrived but you saw the postage price, if you didn't like it you should have paid it" Utter utter bullshit. It just doesn't wash. Sorry.

Woah! Don't be disingenuous Pete!

PGowdy said:
I post several 100 items a month so i know what it costs to post things

Then say:

PGowdy said:
I'm not sure what postage costs

Now, what you say about that transaction sheds some light on it! You never said it was 8 different auctions for figures and you never said they were for a combined auction! Totally agree with you on that account.

BUT

With regards to your Spain analogy. If they see that auction and it has £10 postage, they win it for £2.00, that is the price they want to pay. Yes a little underhand and not that great - but the main gist I am looking at is in the UK when people should have a vague idea of how much it costs to send things (a lot harder now because of the RM constantly changing prices).

And again where you say that it's bullshit that if you agreed to it then you shouldn't pay for it, most of the time it's people trying to claw back the money that eBay and Paypal take from them. You before stating that P&P is just that and can't be altered was almost like towing the party line, from such an eBay hater as you Pete was surprising!

PGowdy

Grand Master
theslider said:
Woah! Don't be disingenuous Pete!

PGowdy said:
I post several 100 items a month so i know what it costs to post things

Then say:

PGowdy said:
I'm not sure what postage costs

Now, what you say about that transaction sheds some light on it! You never said it was 8 different auctions for figures and you never said they were for a combined auction! Totally agree with you on that account.

BUT

With regards to your Spain analogy. If they see that auction and it has £10 postage, they win it for £2.00, that is the price they want to pay. Yes a little underhand and not that great - but the main gist I am looking at is in the UK when people should have a vague idea of how much it costs to send things (a lot harder now because of the RM constantly changing prices).

And again where you say that it's bullshit that if you agreed to it then you shouldn't pay for it, most of the time it's people trying to claw back the money that eBay and Paypal take from them. You before stating that P&P is just that and can't be altered was almost like towing the party line, from such an eBay hater as you Pete was surprising!

The 2 "agreements" to pay for an item are separate. You keep throwing the postage cost in with the cost of the item and saying "that's what you agreed to pay for the item. That is wrong. You agree to pay £2 for item. And the postage was quoted as costing £10 so you pay that on the provisor that it does actually cost £10 not because the seller thinks it's ok to massively overcharge you to take extra money off you that he justifies by saying 'well ebay are screwing me so i should be allowed to screw you'. That is so wrong to me. If the sellers feel they are not getting a good enough deal out of it they should raise the price of their item. Not state that postage costs more than it does. That seems inherently dishonest to me and using the system to screw the buyer out of a few more quid.
I'm actually shocked that so many people are defending intentional, significant overcharging on postage for the sole purpose of profiting from possibly, naive buyers.
It states in the sale that 'x' amount is the cost of postage and packing. To intentionally charge significantly more than that in order to profit is wrong to me. I don't see any other angle.

mumbo

Sith Lord
This one grinds my gears too and if I feel that I've been ripped off on postage then I'll happily tell the seller and await their response, a favourable one that resolves the issue closes the matter but if they advise me tough luck and give me some bullshit story then they get a negative, simple.

I appreciate packaging costs come into the equation but not time, most people are personal sellers not business' so I shouldn't be paying for their time. As for covering the 10% fees that are now being taken on postage fair enough. IMO you shouldn't be factoring in the selling fees or compensating for the possibility that your item may not sell at your desired price and perhaps that is where some sellers get greedy in order to maximise their own profit.

Ok so when you buy an item you are agreeing to pay the postage costs stated but when the item turns up and it's cost considerably less than you've paid then you have a right to feel aggrieved and it's not always possible to judge the cost of postage until the item has arrived. I've had items where I've thought the postage was steep but at a price that is viable yet when it has arrived the materials have been recycled and I've over-estimated the cost. If the seller is an honest one then they will refund some of the difference as has happened on occasions and as likewise I have done myself. If I miscalculate my own postage costs when selling and it ends up costing me more than I expected that is my fault and I learn from it (although clearly not as it's happened a few times :roll: )

I have 4.9 stars on my postage and packaging and always take a lot of care and effort when sending items and I expect the same service in return but unfortunately not everyone operates in the same way.

This will always divide opinion and I think it coms down to your ethos.

PGowdy

Grand Master
mumbo said:
This one grinds my gears too and if I feel that I've been ripped off on postage then I'll happily tell the seller and await their response, a favourable one that resolves the issue closes the matter but if they advise me tough luck and give me some bullshit story then they get a negative, simple.

I appreciate packaging costs come into the equation but not time, most people are personal sellers not business' so I shouldn't be paying for their time. As for covering the 10% fees that are now being taken on postage fair enough. IMO you shouldn't be factoring in the selling fees or compensating for the possibility that your item may not sell at your desired price and perhaps that is where some sellers get greedy in order to maximise their own profit.

In fairness a seller including extra to cover the 10% that ebay thieve is fair to me and i wouldn't begrudge that at all. How are they meant to post my item fig i haven't given them enough?? That one goes both ways. That to me is a genuine cost of packaging.
But, just to reiterate, that's not what we're talking about here. We are talking about buyers adding on significant amount for the pure purpose of making money out of the buyer. No 'cost' imagined or actual are being considered in this scenario. It's purely making money by charging people too much for postage (dispute you legal agreement with ebay and the buyer to charge only "actual" postage and packaging costs).

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Just to clarify on my original post, I won several items from the same seller with the promise of combined postage. What I didn't expect was an unrealistic amount which I then fought for a lower price because of the following

I'm perfectly aware of
1. royal mail sizes and charges
2. the price of boxes, tape, etc
3. other couriers prices

I assume sellers have the nous to find those bits of information out and offer some sort of intelligence when it comes to deciding on the postage cost. Don't just lump on postage because your item you list in an auction doesnt make £5k.. it only makes £1.20.

I have to admit sometimes I am a total ****, win the auction knowing that I will fight the ridiculous postage charge using the unmentioned fear of the neg. That might make me a **** but next time maybe they will think again and I wear my cloak and mask with pride that I am fighting the good fight against postage bandits.. (cue dramatic slightly camp music).

theslider

Sith Lord
I'm not talking about agreements to pay for two different things - I am on about the total price a buyer is willing to pay. People should factor that in when bidding. For example I would much rather by from a seller who was selling a CD for 99p plus £5.00 postage rather than someone with £5.99 and free postage, even if the postage from the seller only costs a quid say. That means the seller getting more money than eBay & Paypal, which is quite alright by me.

I *do* disagree with exorbitant postage charges when they're just taking the piss.

Mumbo: Completely disagree. If they're a business then that's their business you shouldn't be paying for their time. For Joe Public who may have to spend his lunch hour queuing in the Post Office then I think that is fair.

But as others have said, if you don't like the P&P charges DON'T ****ING BID!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom