BBC Docu-Drama 'THREADS' (1983)

elcroz

Padawan
I heard about this movie about 10 years ago or so from some older friends whilst discussing 'scary movies' they suggested a BBC production called Threads.
I duly went about getting the DVD - watched it late on a Sunday night with 'Err indoors and both got seriously freaked out. We have never experienced anything like it, we sat in silence for a good 10 minutes after the credits. Yep it left a deep scar that film.

As bleak and harrowing as the movie was - I'm pleased I saw it. It opened my eyes to what could easily have happened on numerous occasions back then and what could still possibly happen one day.

I was 4 years old back in 1983 so would not have seen Threads but I have read that it was shown to school children in class! Were you one of those poor pupils? Did you stay up and watch it all those years ago?

Please share your stories...

x-pack

Grand Master
Never heard of it. Don't even know what genre Threads is. Is it scary as in horror scary, or harrowing psychological scary?

mumbo

Sith Lord
:lol:

scary/horror movies do nothing for me whatsoever but I do recall a school programme that we watched which freaked me out, The Boy From Space

[youtube]5zIbEoGRt-Q[/youtube]

[youtube]ifqn0vursW8[/youtube]

actually having just watched it again it still freaks me out :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I remember watching something about a nuclear bomb being dropped in the UK when I was at school. Not sure if it was threads? Rember a grown women wetting herself when the siren goes off. :?

elcroz

Padawan
Apologies, I should have made a brief mention of what Threads was for those who have not (yet) seen it.
It was a film made by the BBC showing the escalation, the bombing and shows the post apocalyptic world 10 years after the Russians dropped the bombs on the UK.
The film was made and centered around Sheffield.

The scene with the woman wetting herself: That was Threads and poor you for watching this at school! Especially if you were at a socially aware age during the Cold War.

The boy from space. That was well freaky. I remember it well. Not quite as creepy there was another show made for schools around that time called 'Dark Towers'.
Boy from Space was totally creepy. That also left an impression on me.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
I have a copy of Threads, but have yet to watch it. I know it's about a nuclear blast and the ramifications.

When I discovered it, it was considered more "disturbing" than "scary".

Ian

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Threads and a US version really ****ed me up as a kid.. I was mortified by the concept of a nuclear attack and I used to plan which country to run away to. Norway always appeared the best place.

i remember we had leaflets through the door on how to build a blast shelter years earlier, my dad dug an engine pit in the garage which could double up if, as he reckoned, they would nuke kineton....

yes kids, in the 80s the threat of a nuclear attack was deemed reality

http://www.atomica.co.uk/main.htm

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It's interesting this, think I need to watch it again. I'm guessing I was about 12 when I watched it, so around about 1992. Never really bothered me at the time, but I didn't take a lot of stuff seriously at that age.

I was talking to someone about Schindler's list the other day and they watched it when they were 13 at school, I was saying how bad it was and he was saying how he didn't think it was that bad! :eek: :?

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
I saw it when it was first shown, would of been about 15 then. Truly terrifying, even more so when it could of actually happened. Also saw the 60's BBC film 'The War Game' around the same time. My friends and I wore our CND badges after that, we were convinced Nuclear War was going to happen. Mind you, I'm glad I wasn't around for the Cuban missle crisis, that must of been a very scary thirteen days.

x-pack

Grand Master
Well i'm not ****ing watching that then! Tales of the Unexpected used to freak me out enough! I can do without some scary **** about people pissing their pants and nuclear horrors :shock:

sith-smith

Grand Master
I was around 11 when Threads came out.

I remember having nightmares around that sort of time because there were so many things on TV about nuclear war.

I can even remember some documentary telling people how to survive a nuclear attack.

My dad's arguments was always that the best place to be in a nuclear war is directly under the bomb as it hits.

I had a messed up childhood!! :shock:

elcroz

Padawan
naughtyjedi said:
Threads and a US version really ****ed me up as a kid.. I was mortified by the concept of a nuclear attack and I used to plan which country to run away to. Norway always appeared the best place.

i remember we had leaflets through the door on how to build a blast shelter years earlier, my dad dug an engine pit in the garage which could double up if, as he reckoned, they would nuke kineton....

yes kids, in the 80s the threat of a nuclear attack was deemed reality

http://www.atomica.co.uk/main.htm
I tracked down the US version a few years ago it was called "The Day After" - admittedly it was depressing and bleak movie but I thought it was cheerful compared to Threads.
There is an interesting side note regarding 'the Day After':

"I ran the tape of the movie ABC is running on the air on Nov. 20," Reagan wrote in his diary on Oct. 10, 1983. "It's called The Day After. It has Lawrence, Kansas wiped out in a nuclear war with Russia. It is powerfully done, all $7 million worth."
"It's very effective and left me greatly depressed … My own reaction was one of our having to do all we can to have a deterrent and to see there is never a nuclear war."

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I heard about 'Threads' ages ago but I've never watched it. It's probably not Christmas viewing(!) but I'll be getting and watching it soon. Thanks for reminder.

I remember watching 'When the Wind Blows' and being affected by it. I would've been around 13-14 but even then hadn't fully appreciated what it would mean to be caught up in a nuclear war. Watching WtWB changed that completely, and the attitude to survival of the couple in the film makes you realise how people misunderstood the effect of a nuclear blast.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
sith-smith said:
My dad's arguments was always that the best place to be in a nuclear war is directly under the bomb as it hits.

my dad similar.. i reckoned 'running the other way' was better.. crazy bastards

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
DarthStanley said:
Wasn't there someone playing with some vintage SW figures,not seen it for years but remember Boba Fett being one of them? 8)

I was thinking this as well, sure their's a thread in off topic where you can watch it.

I've bumped the thread in off topic, it's on page 1. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom