Do you use a program for your star wars collection ?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I am thinking about adding pictures and text in a pdf file of all my star wars items. So I better have an idea about which variants etc. etc. I have.

Any one know about a good free program that can do that ?

and what do you do ?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I keep a yearly list of pictures, with price paid, when bought from from whom.
And a picture album of everything I ever owned.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
years ago I used frontpage, it was an easy program to work with to add text pictures and boxes. It is hard to find a replacement program.

Maybe pdf is not the correct for me :unsure:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
years ago I used frontpage, it was an easy program to work with to add text pictures and boxes. It is hard to find a replacement program.

Maybe pdf is not the correct for me :unsure:
The reason I don't use a PDF is I don't use a computer, only an Ipad or phone and to use PDFs it would cost me.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I tried using Star Wars Tracker, but I found it so confusing I gave up. I appreciate the effort the owner has put into creating it, but I couldn't get my head around it. So I'm sticking to a spreadsheet.

For video games I use Price Charting which I find nice and simple.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I tried using Star Wars Tracker, but I found it so confusing I gave up. I appreciate the effort the owner has put into creating it, but I couldn't get my head around it. So I'm sticking to a spreadsheet.

For video games I use Price Charting which I find nice and simple.

Thanks, I guess spreadsheet are like excel. I tried years ago to use excel for keeping pictures and text with info about my stuff, but it was easier and looked better in frontpage.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I keep the photos separately in folders. I would love it if somebody made something like Discogs or Price Charting for toys, but I'm not aware of one

supergoose

Padawan
Supporter
I've always used Excel. It's great for keeping track of what you have, what you are hunting for, what's currently on it's way to you etc. But it's also great for doing dynamic stuff / changing colours based on certain text being present helping how it's displayed to you and it's great for having live links to either locations / files / images on your computer or links to subject specific sites etc. for quick info reference. Love it :cool:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I've always used Excel. It's great for keeping track of what you have, what you are hunting for, what's currently on it's way to you etc. But it's also great for doing dynamic stuff / changing colours based on certain text being present helping how it's displayed to you and it's great for having live links to either locations / files / images on your computer or links to subject specific sites etc. for quick info reference. Love it :cool:
any pictures of how you do it ?

Hare are screenshot of how I did it in frontpage, if I hit a picture with the mouse then it opens the picture to full screen, this is how I knew what I had in my collection. But frontpage is very old and I need to find something new where I can do the same or even better. I was thinking no need for hit the picture to make it big a big picture from the beginning would also be great. That was why I thought about pdf file, but damn it is not easy to make a pdf file with the program I have tried so far.

Skærmbillede 2024-03-06 172123.png

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Looks like you are after something more "visual" so Excel is perhaps not the weapon of choice here. Maybe a different web design package ? Or powerpoint or some desktop publishing tool ? :unsure:
I have just googled powerpoint, maybe that can do it :unsure:, I have looked for a different web design package but all I find are not programs to download so I can do and keep it on c drive and do the work on c drive. All I find are on the internet where I need to lock in etc. etc. and upload.

Fido

Youngling
I use Excel to track my collection. I keep track of what I'm saving for, how much I have paid, shipping costs, who and where I bought it from, who I wont buy from again, where to find it in my storage and so on. No photos though, but reading through this thread has put the idea in my head.

I use Calibre on and off for managing my ebook and ecomic collections. This app manages pdfs, epub and cdr files which are basically a collection of images. I'm not sure how easy it is to create these types of file but I image if you can group a handful of photos together in this way and import them into Calibre then you can add you own meta data to sort and filter on. It might be a good way to track your collection and have access to the photos at the same time. I think I'll check it out.

https://calibre-ebook.com/about

Fido

Youngling
I use Excel to track my collection. I keep track of what I'm saving for, how much I have paid, shipping costs, who and where I bought it from, who I wont buy from again, where to find it in my storage and so on. No photos though, but reading through this thread has put the idea in my head.

I use Calibre on and off for managing my ebook and ecomic collections. This app manages pdfs, epub and cdr files which are basically a collection of images. I'm not sure how easy it is to create these types of file but I image if you can group a handful of photos together in this way and import them into Calibre then you can add you own meta data to sort and filter on. It might be a good way to track your collection and have access to the photos at the same time. I think I'll check it out.

https://calibre-ebook.com/about
okay so using Calibre worked pretty well.

Here you can see where I have created my custom columns and imported two pdf files I had created.
Capture.JPG

To create the pdf files I put some photos of each item in a folder and used the Windows print to pdf. After loading the pdf into Calibre I can click the row in the app and it will open the pdf containing the photos.
Capture.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom