Episode 1 script - revised sample: "The Blue Droid"

Wald

Padawan
This is unarguably one of the best/most effective edits that Phantom Editor has done, and I must admit; like most of his edits, it plays really well.
The popular blue astromech droid is not referred to by name when he's introduced - until later, when he meets 3PO.

So, inspired by The Phantom Edit, here's a revised sample of the script.
Strike-through represents irrelevant content, underline represents revised content (relevant information only). Enjoy.;)

INT NABOO SPACECRAFT - QUEENS CHAMBERS

QUI-GON, OBI-WAN, CAPTAIN PANAKA, and the LITTLE BLUE DROID stand before QUEEN AMIDALA and her THREE HANDMAIDENS, PADME, EIRTAE and RABE.

CAPT. PANAKA: ...An extremely well put together little droid. Without a doubt, it saved the ship, as well as our lives.

AMIDALA: It is to be commended...what is its number?

The LITTLE BLUE DROID lets out a series of bleeps. CAPTAIN PANAKA leans over and scrapes some dirt off of the side of the DROID and read the number:

CAPT. PANAKA: R2-D2, Your Highness.

AMIDALA: Thank you, Artoo Detoo... Padme!

PADME bows before the QUEEN.

AMIDALA: (Cont'd) Clean this droid up the best you can. It deserves our gratitude... (to Panaka) Continue, Captain.

CAPTAIN PANAKA looks nervously to OBI-WAN and QUI-GON.

QUI-GON: Your Highness, with your permission we're heading for a remote planet called Tatooine. It is a system far beyond the reach of the Trade Federation.

CAPTAIN PANAKA: I do not agree with the Jedi on this.

QUI-GON: You must trust my judgment, Your Highness.

AMIDALA and PADME exchange looks.

INT NABOO SPACECRAFT - MAIN AREA

PADME sits in the Main Area, cleaning R2-D2, the brave little Astro Droid. JAR JAR pops out of an open door.

JAR JAR: Hidoe!

PADME jumps. The Gungan is embarrassed that he frightened them.

JAR JAR: (Cont'd) Sorry. Whosa are yousa?

PADME: I'm Padme.

JAR JAR steps into the room.

JAR JAR: Mesa Ja Ja Binksss...

ARTOO wines a little as PADME looks up from the droid.

PADME: You're a GUNGAN, aren't you?

JAR JAR: Ah-huh.

PADME: How did you end up here with us?

JAR JAR: My no know... mesa day starten pitty okeyday witda brisky morning munchen. Den boom.... getten berry skeered, un grabbed dat Jedi, and before mesa knowen it... pow! Mesa here. (he shrugs)... getten berry berry skeered.

ARTOO BEEPS a sympathetic beep.

EXT SPACE (FX)

The Naboo cruiser speeds off towards the planet TATOOINE.

INT NABOO SPACECRAFT - COCKPIT

OBI-WAN, QUI-GON, and CAPTAIN PANAKA watch over RIC OLIE'S shoulder. A large yellow planet appears directly ahead. RIC OLIE searches his scopes.

OBI-WAN: That's it. Tatooine... There's a settlement.

QUI-GON: Land near the outskirts. We don't want to attract any attention.

EXT TATOOINE - SPACE (FX)

The ship heads toward the planet of Tatooine.

EXT TATOOINE - DESERT - NABOO SPACECRAFT - DAY (FX)

The Naboo spacecraft lands in the desert in a swirl of dust. The spaceport of Mos Espa is seen in the distance.

INT NABOO SPACECRAFT - ENGINE ROOM

OBI-WAN is hoisting the hyperdrive out of a floor panel.

OBI-WAN: The hyperdrive generator's gone, Master.

QUI-GON: That'll complicate things. Be wary... I sense a disturbance in the Force.

OBI-WAN: I feel it also, Master.

QUI-GON: Don't let them send ant transmissions.

EXT TATOOINE - DESERT - SPACESHIP - DAY

They start their trek across the desert toward the city of Mos Espa. In the distance, a strange looking caravan makes its way toward the spaceport.

JAR JAR: Dis sun doen murder ta mesa skin.

From the spaceship, CAPTAIN PANAKA and PADME run toward them.

CAPT. PANAKA: Wait!

QUI-GON stops as they catch up. PADME is dresses in rough peasant's garb.

CAPT. PANAKA: (Cont'd) Wait. Her Highness commands you to take her handmaiden with you.

QUI-GON: No more commands from Her Highness today, Captain. This spaceport is not going to be pleasant...

CAPT. PANAKA: The Queen wishes it. She is curious about this planet.

QUI-GON: This is not a good idea. Stay close to me.

He gives PADME a stern look.

EXT MOS ESPA - STREET - DAY

The little GROUP walks down the main street of Mos Espa. They pass dangerous looking citizens of all types. PADME looks around in awe at this exotic environment.

QUI-GON: ...moisture farms for the most part. Some indigenous tribes and scavengers. The few spaceports like this one are havens for those who do not wish to be found...

PADME: ... like us.

JAR JAR is in a constant state of panic.

JAR JAR: Dissen berry berry bad. (steps in ooze) Ooooh... icky... icky... goo.

The BLUE DROID whistles along, with perfect confidence.

EXT MOS ESPA - JUNK DEALER PLAZA - DAY

The GROUP comes to a little plaza surrounded by several junk spaceship dealers.

QUI-GON: We'll try one of the smaller dealers.

They head for a little junk shop that has a huge pile of broken spaceships stacked up behind it.

INT WATTO'S JUNK SHOP - DAY

QUI-GON, JAR JAR, PADME, and the BLUE DROID enter the dingy junk shop and are greeted by WATTO, a pudgy blue alien who flies on short little wings like a hummingbird.

WATTO: (subtitled) Guta naloya. (Good day to you.)

WATTO flies over to the visitors.

WATTO: (cont'd)(subtitled) Ha chuba da nala? (What do you want?)

QUI-GON: I need parts for a J-type 327 Nubian.

WATTO: Ah yes, ah yes. Nubian. We have lots of that. (subtitled) Peedenk! Naba dee unko (Boy, get in here! Now!)

QUI-GON: My droid here has a readout of what I need.

A disheveled boy, ANAKIN SKYWALKER, runs in from the junk yard. He is about nine years old, very dirty, and dressed in rags.

WATTO turns to ANAKIN.

WATTO: (subtitled) Coona tee-tocky malia? (What took you so long?)

ANAKIN: (subtitled) Mel tassa cho-passa... (I was cleaning the bin like you...)

WATTO: (subtitled) Chut-Chut! Ganda doe wallya. Me dwana no bata. (Watch the store. I've got some selling to do here.) (to Gui-Gon) Soooo, let me take - a thee out back. Ni you'll find what you need.

The BLUE DROID and QUI-GON follow WATTO toward the junk yard, leaving JAR JAR with PADME and the young boy ANAKIN. JAR JAR picks up a gizmo, trying to figure out its purpose. QUI-GON takes the part out of his hand and puts it back.

QUI-GON: Don't touch anything.

JAR JAR makes a rude face to QUI-GON's back and sticks out his long tongue. ANAKIN sits on the counter, pretending to clean a part, staring at PADME. She is the most beautiful creature he has ever seen in his life. PADME is a little embarrassed by his stare, but she musters up an amused smile. Finally, he gets the courage to speak.

ANAKIN: Are you an angel?

PADME: What?

ANAKIN: An angel. I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They are the most beautiful creatures in the universe. They live on the Moons of Iego I think.

PADME looks at him, not knowing what to say.

PADME: You're a funny little boy. How do you know so much.

ANAKIN: I listen to all the traders and starpilots that come by here. I'm a pilot, you know, and some day I'm gonna fly away from this place.

PADME: You're a pilot?

ANAKIN: All my life.

PADME: How long have you been here?

ANAKIN: Since I was very little, three, I think. My Mom and I were sold to Gardulla the Hutt, but she lost us, betting on the Podraces.

PADME: You're ... a slave?

ANAKIN looks at PADME defiantly.

ANAKIN: I am a person! My name is Anakin.

PADME: I'm sorry. I don't fully understand. (looking around) This is a strange place to me.

ANAKIN studies her intently.

JAR JAR pushes the nose on what appears to be a LITTLE DROID, and it instantly comes to life, grows legs and arms, and starts marching around, knocking over everything. JAR JAR hold on but can't stop it.

ANAKIN: Hey...

JAR JAR: Wha?

ANAKIN: Hit the nose!

JAR JAR: Oh!

JAR JAR hits the nose, and the DROID collapses back into its original state. ANAKIN and PADME laugh.

EXT WATTO'S JUNK YARD - BEHIND SHOP - DAY

WATTO flies along as QUI-GON walks through the junk yard.

WATTO: ... a T-14 hyperdrive generator!! Thee in luck, I'm the only one hereabouts who has one... but thee might as well buy a new ship. It would be cheaper, I think... Saying of which, how's thee going to pay for all this?

QUI-GON: I have 20,000 Republic dataries.

WATTO: Republic credits?!? Republic credits are no good out here. I need something more real...

QUI-GON: I don't have anything else. (raising his hand) But credits will do fine.

WATTO: No they won'ta.

QUI-GON, using his mind power, waves his hand again.

QUI-GON: Credits will do fine.

WATTO: No, they won'ta. What you think you're some kinda Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks don'ta work on me-only money. No money, no parts! No deal! And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I promise you that.

INT WATTO'S JUNK SHOP - DAY

ANAKIN and PADME are still talking.

ANAKIN: ... wouldn't have lasted long if I weren't so good at fixing things.

JAR JAR pulls a part out of a stack of parts to inspect it, and they all come tumbling down. He struggles to catch them, only to knock more down. ANAKIN and PADME are oblivious.

QUI-GON hurries into the shop, followed by the BLUE DROID.

QUI-GON: We're leaving. Jar Jar?

The stuff JAR JAR is juggling crashes to the ground. PADME gives ANAKIN a loving look.

PADME: I'm glad to have met you.

PADME turns, and ANAKIN looks sad as he watches her leave.

ANAKIN: I was glad to meet you too.

JAR JAR and the BLUE DROID leave the shop.

WATTO enters the shop, shaking his head.

WATTO: (subtitled) Ootmians! Tinka me chasa hopoe ma booty na nolia. (Outlanders! They think they can hassle anybody.)

ANAKIN: (subtitled) La lova num botaffa. (They seemed nice to me.)

WATTO: (subtitled) Fweepa niaga. Tolpa da bunky dunko. (Who asked you!... get back to work.)

ANAKIN lets out a "yipee" and runs out the back.

INT NABOO SPACECRAFT - COCKPIT

OBI-WAN is in the cockpit of the Naboo craft.

QUI-GON: ... and you're sure there's nothing left on board?

OBI-WAN: (V.O) A few containers of supplies, the Queen's wardrobe, maybe. But not enough for you to barter with. Not in the amounts you're talking about.

QUI-GON: All right. I'm sure another solution will present itself. I'll check back later.

QUI-GON puts his comlink away and starts out into the main street. JAR JAR grabs his arm.

JAR JAR: Noah gain... Noah gain da beings hereabouts cawazy. Wesa be robbed un crunched.

QUI-GON: Not likely. We have nothing of value, that's our problem.

EXT MOS ESPA - STREET - MARKET - DAY

QUI-GON, PADME, JAR JAR, and the BLUE DROID move out into the street. JAR JAR is walking behind the others. They walk by an outdoor cafe filled with a rough gang of aliens, one of which is especially ugly, SEBULBA, a spider-like creature. JAR JAR stops for a moment in front of a stall selling dead frogs hanging on a wire. He looks around to see if anyone is looking, then sticks out his tongue, and gets hold of one, pulling it into his mouth. Unfortunately, the frog is tied tightly to the wire. The vendor suddenly appears.

VENDOR: (subtitled) Ay, ay. Yawoba wonga? (They! thief! Are you going to pay for that?)

JAR JAR turns his head in surprise.

VENDOR: Uga wupiupi wep. (It costs seven wupiupi.

JAR JAR opens his mouth and the frog snaps away., ricochets around the market, and lands in Sebulba's soup, splashing him. As JAR JAR moves away from the VENDOR, SEBULBA jumps up on the table and grabs the hapless Gungan.

SEBULBA: Chuba!!

JAR JAR: Ooops.

JAR JAR starts to whistle as he walks away.

Angry, SEBULBA gets up an hops over to JAR JAR and kicks him.

SEBULBA: (subtitled) Ni chuba ni?? (Is this yours??)

SEBULBA holds the frog up to the Gungan threateningly.

JAR JAR: Who, mesa?

SEBULBA grabs JAR JAR by the neck. QUI-GON looks around for JAR JAR and sees him in a fight.

JAR JAR turns to see ANAKNI pushing his way next to him. The boy stands up to SEBULBA in a very self-assured way.

ANAKIN: (subtitled) Chesko Sebulba... Cha pooka uman geesa... Matesa ratico ponipa chop chowa. (Careful, Sebulba... He's a big time outlander... I'd hate to see you diced before we race again.)

SEBULBA stops his assault on JAR JAR and turns to ANAKIN.

SEBULBA: (subtitled) Nic me chouwa wimo noke maka noke. (Next time we race, boy, it will be the end of you!) Una noto wo shag, me wompity du pom pom. (If you weren't a slave, I'd squash you now.)

SEBULBA turns away.

ANAKIN: (subtitled) Eh, chee bana do mullee ra. (Yeah, it'd be a pity if you had to pay for me.)

QUI-GON, PADME and the BLUE DROID arrive.

ANAKIN: (Cont'd) Hi!

QUI-GON: Hi there.

ANAKIN: Your buddy here was about to be turned into orange goo. He picked a fight with a Dug. An especially dangerous Dug called Sebulba.

JAR JAR: Mesa haten crunchen. Dat's da last ting mesa wanten.

QUI-GON: Nevertheless, the boy is right ... you were heading for trouble... Thanks, my young friend.

PADME looks at ANAKIN and smiles; he smiles back. They start walking down the crowded street.

JAR JAR: But... but... mesa doen nutteen!

The group walks away and SEBULBA chews on the frog.

EXT TATOOINE - DESERT - SPACESHIP - DAY

OBI-WAN stands in front of the Naboo spacecraft as the wind picks up and begins to whip at his robe. CAPTAIN PANAKA exits the ship and joins him.

OBI-WAN: This storm will slow them down.

CAPT. PANAKA: It looks pretty bad.

CAPTAIN PANAKA's comlink sounds off.

CAPT. PANAKA: (Cont'd) Panaka?

RIC OLIE: (V.O.) We're receiving a message from home.

CAPT. PANAKA: We'll be right there.

EXT MOS ESPA - STREET - FRUIT STAND - DAY

ANAKIN and the GROUP stop at a fruit stand run by a jolly, but very poor, old lady named JIRA.

ANAKIN: Here, you'll like these pallies... Here.

QUI-GON: Thank you.

QUI-GON takes them puting them in a little pouch under his poncho, revealing for a moment, his lightsaber.

JIRA: Oh, my bones are aching ... storm's coming up, Annie. You'd better get home quick.

ANAKIN: (to QUI-GON) Do you have shelter?

QUI-GON: We'll head back to our ship.

ANAKIN: Is it far?

PADME: It's on the outskirts.

ANAKIN: You'll never reach the outskirts in time... sandstorms are very, very dangerous. Come on! I'll take you to my place.

The GROUP follows ANAKIN as he rushes down the windy street. The BLUE DROID wistles along the way.

EXT MOS ESPA - SLAVE QUARTERS - STREET - SANDSTORM - DAY

The wind is blowing hard as QUI-GON, JAR JAR, and PADME follow ANAKIN down the street and into a slave hovel.

INT ANAKIN'S HOVEL - MAIN ROOM - DAY

QUI-GON, JAR JAR, The BLUE DROID, and PADME enter a small living space.

ANAKIN: Mom! Mom! I'm home.

JAR JAR: Dissen cozy.

Anakin's mother, SHMI SKYWALKER, a warm, friendly woman of forty, enters from her work area and is startled to see the room full of people.

ANAKIN: These are my friends, Mom.

JAR JAR: Hidoe!

ARTOO lets out a little beep.

QUI-GON: I'm Qui-Gon Jinn.

ANAKIN: I'm building a droid. You wanna see?

QUI-GON: Your son was kind enough to offer us shelter.

ANAKIN: Come on! I'll show you Threepio!

ANAKIN leads PADME into the other room. The BLUE DROID follows, beeping all the way.

INT ANAKIN'S HOVEL - BEDROOM - DAY

The BLUE DROID rolls through the doorway as ANAKIN shows off his DROID, which is lying on his workbench. There is one eye in the head; the body, arms, and legs have no outer coverings.

ANAKIN: Isn't he great?! He's not finished yet.

PADME: He's wonderful!

The BLUE DROID continues to lets out a few warbles.

ANAKIN: You really like him? He's a protocol droid ... to help Mom. Watch!

ANAKIN pushes a button, and the DROID sits up.

THREEPIO: Oh, oh. Where is everybody?

Anakin reaches over and grabs an eye and puts it in one of the sockets.

THREEPIO: Oh, hello, I am See-Threepio, Human Cyborg Relations. How might I serve you?

PADME: He's perfect.

THREEPIO: Oh, perfect.

ANAKIN: When the storm is over, I'll show you my racer.

THREEPIO starts to walk away as ANAKIN contines talking to PADME.

ANAKIN: (cont'd) I'm building a Podracer!

PADME smiles at his enthusiasm. THREEPIO: I'm not sure this floor is entirely stable. Oh, hello. I don't believe we've been introduced.

The BLUE DROID lets out a flurry of beeps and whistles.

THREEPIO: Artoo-Detoo. A pleasure to meet you. I am See-Threepio, Human Cyborg Relations.

ARTOO lets out another series of beeps and whistles.

THREEPIO: I beg your pardon .... what do you mean, naked?

ARTOO beeps.

THREEPIO: (Cont'd) My parts are showing? My goodness.

ARTOO releases a laugh-like twitter.

(We know the rest.):)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom