Fake hardcopy prototypes discovered.

Joseph_Y

Padawan
Misunderstandings aside, Todd always seems to have issues with US collectors, esp people who's main posting base is RS, when we show up here on SWF. Angry that he got ousted from RS?(get mad at the mods if thats the case). Maybe afraid that someone will throw a piece from his past back in his face? In my opinion, IF he were truly sorry about his scamming past, he'd do everything in his power to find the fake pieces he sold and explain the situation to the current owners and reimburse them. But... That's is another discussion for another thread of its own.

What I do care about about in this thread is that someone would derail a thread that's here to inform and help people to find out if the items they bought from Scott are real or fake. This scam is into the hundreds of thousands of dollars and the more people that get the word that his items may not be as advertised the better, it'll keep them from getting passed along later on down the road. Please don't mud this down with bullshit. Contact Chris G, contact Tom Derby and get your pieces that trace back to Scott checked out.

Cheers
Joe

sith jawa

Padawan
Unfortunately, I think we are at the point where some prototypes (not all) should be graded by CIB. I am NOT the biggest fan of AFA, but I am very grateful my first shot had been graded. Hardcopies are another story and I am sure there will be plenty of debate on that subject. Provence and education is paramount in this hobby and we are all learning new things each day. Just a humble opinion...

Bill McBride

Padawan
I agree with Jason, and as I said before, it really comes down to educating yourself about what we choose to collect.
In this case, I'm actually surprised it went on as long as it did, and so many people just took these pieces at face value.

I mentioned before that one of the true hallmarks of any HC piece, is the fine detail that the figure or piece will show. These
are made directly from molds where were taken off the wax sculpts. So every step "down" from the sculpt, you will lose some
detail. (sculpt to HC, HC to protomolds/FS, and so on). I posted this on RS as an example of what I'm talking about:

HCVaderMacro.jpg

This is a Top Toys Vader HC from my collection. As you can see from the close up, even the fine details are razor sharp. It's not
as refined as it's Kenner brothers, but considering these were made off production grade figures, the details and crispness really
stand out even more. Simply put, an authentic HC figure, part, weapon, etc should have no slop, or blurred details, period. It's not
uncommon to see unpainted pieces with an air-pocket here and there, but the level of detail should be consistent.
I recommended a simple test to another member here; compare the HC piece/figure to the production piece.
The HC should be slightly larger in size, and should easily be 2-3x's more detailed. These are things that are purely visual examinations,
and you don't have to have decades of experience to spot problems for yourself.

Bill

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I never new I had so m any people secretly watching me over the past few decades....strange. Actually I do still have an active account on RS, I just really dont go there to much anymore. My issues are only with a select few RS members, neither of which are any of you. Please refrain from flaming as this is just a straight forward honest statement and I am trying to keep Weasels job easy. :wink:

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
I've been reading this thread along with the thread over on RS and it's a right shitter for anyone caught up in it all.

Just glad I collect MOC's and none of this variation/pre-production stuff some of you guys do,it's a ****in' nightmare.

I'm no expert at spotting fakes but I'm pretty certain I'd be able to spot a fake MOC if I ever came across one.

That doesn't mean I want to be tested mind. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom