Grab a random piece the tell the story

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
theforceuk said:
To spend £100 when your 14 on a MOC is dedication.

Yes I had a reasonable collection of MOCs at the time (30ish) but the vast majority were trilogo and Jedi cards that cost me £10-30 each. So this one was a big step, and the only Star Wars card I owned until after the millennium. I also stuck to a strict £100 max budget until well in to the 2000s :lol:

You put me to shame, at that age I was spending a phew £s on loose beaters and car boots and second hand shops!

Thanks Lars the pictures are very cherished!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:
I have a love for baggies ( Frank...Frunkstar I hold you solely to blame !)

Have a number of baggies in my collection

I was then so lucky that Frank found through his extensive contacts an opportunity to get my hansds on a 4 pack mail away box in rough state with my love of bringing items back to life I grasped with both hands and was so fortunate to get the item gifted :shock:

I proceeded to repair and and get the mail away packaging box back to a display state with starch and ironing and then proceeded to source the correct baggies and leaflet for the piece

Was a labour of love and makes me smile every time I look at it, just need to display in a way that befits it's status now.

The forum and the members on here basically are a testament to what you can achieve on a budget that not only enables you to add apiece to your collection that you are passionate about, but also brings back components from all sources theta you then end up with a piece of "history" that is back in the game

This is what I love about SW vintage collecting it's the patience and the support from members with a like minded passion for collecting that fulfils your passions

Hard work, searching, discussing, buying and trading until you get a piece in your collection that you are so pleased with and makes you smile for you, not for its intrinsic value or rarity, but just for your benefit.

I now have a 15 pack mail away that I'm working on and again with the help and support of Frank I'm on a new project

Any way her is the 4 pack Mailer in all its glory, hope you like it as much as I do, and again it's a piece that's been brought back to life

Love it

Thanks michael for that great story :D I first learned about this mail away box when I started to collect in the early 00. It was not someting that you could get in denmark when I was a kid :(

Pomse2001

Grand Master
MrGudz said:
This is the pride and joy of my collection. Both box and toy have seen better days.

DB502C4F-2D98-49FB-AEBD-C9A6F03A6A00.jpegB161CC79-1268-45D4-8C87-C98B39699BF3.jpeg

This was my Christmas present from 1982 or 83. I always remember on Christmas Eve, hearing the front door opening and my Dad going outside. Ten minutes later I watched him struggling across the road with an AT-AT Walker and a Millenium Falcon for my brother (it's battered remains are still in the my spare room). It was that night I discovered Father Christmas wasn't real as well :lol: This represents everything about my childhood and I wouldn't part with it for the world. It's also a connection with my parents who have now both passed on. I was very fortunate to get nice presents as my parents didn't have a great deal of money. You just didn't realise these things at the time.
Looking back, I've lost count how many times in the past I've attacked it with a Snowspeeder run and pushing it sideways for the satisfying crashing noise it would make on the floor. It makes me cringe now how I used to treat it as a child!!
Reading through this great thread it's so special to have those memories and in my case something tabgable I can still see and touch to bring those times flooding back again.

Great story mate from your childhood. I understand why you would never sell or trade it with such a great story this walker has :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Dr_Ball_MD said:
After finishing my loose run of figures, I decided to go for a focus. I chose Zuckuss as he was the first figure I had bought for me as a kid in 1982.

I have a few Zuckuss items now but bought this to remind me of my first ever figure on an Empire card, fresh from Tesco.

Thanks mate for sharing your story, I wish I remembered my first star wars figure, I think I was so young when I got my first so that is why I do not remember it.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Got to be this one for me (sorry it's packed away so using an old photo.) Bought in around 1995 from a local toy dealer in Poole, Dorset. Luke X-Wing or "Orange Luke" was my favourite figure as a kid, so getting one on a Kenner SW card was one of my very first collecting goals. It cost £100 and aged only 14 at the time I had to save up for weeks to buy it, I paid in instalments and remember how chuffed I was when I finally took it home.

My collection has been quite 'fluid' over the years, I regularly sell to fund other purchases, but this MOC was one I hung on to... Until it was stolen in a robbery in 2007. You all know the story by now (there's old threads about it if you don't) but in summary 5 years after the burlgary, forum hero Joe caught the perpetrator selling some of my other figures, and I eventually got it back. It was probably the MOC I was most gutted to lose in the theft because I'd had it such a long time. I was over the moon to be reuinted with it, and it's not going anywhere again :)

luke_xwing1.jpg

bbc-news-theft.png

Great story edd and great that you got it back :D . I think I remember the story, was it not something about a friend of your brother or something like that, that had stolen the items ? Did you get any of the other star wars items and the computers back ? The things you did not get back, have they ever showed up again in other collections ? :(

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Great story edd and great that you got it back :D . I think I remember the story, was it not something about a friend of your brother or something like that, that had stolen the items ? Did you get any of the other star wars items and the computers back ? The things you did not get back, have they ever showed up again in other collections ? :(

Yes it was one of my brothers friends who he knew from playing pool. He must have shown them to him at some point. Most of the 'non Star Wars' items taken belonged to my parents as it was their house, but I also had a record bag full of vinyl taken that was never recovered. By the time he was caught 5 years later he only had about 10 of the 70ish MOCs left, so the other 60 are out there somewhere, but I don't look for them any more (I always said I would never try and get them back from people who bought them in good faith.)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Pomse2001 said:

Yes it was one of my brothers friends who he knew from playing pool. He must have shown them to him at some point. Most of the 'non Star Wars' items taken belonged to my parents as it was their house, but I also had a record bag full of vinyl taken that was never recovered. By the time he was caught 5 years later he only had about 10 of the 70ish MOCs left, so the other 60 are out there somewhere, but I don't look for them any more (I always said I would never try and get them back from people who bought them in good faith.)

Thanks edd for the update :D Did he go to jail for it ? I was just thinking if you found some of them, maybe the new owner would sell them back to you :wink: But I guess since you do not look for them then you do not miss them anymore, I guess you got some money from the insurance company ?

Palifan

Sith Lord
Dr_Ball_MD said:
theforceuk said:
Yes cracking Zuckuss, lets see your focus!

It's not huge but there's a link in my signature, I have quite a bit of modern 4-LOM as well but not pictured.

Great collection and I don't think I've seen your flickr page before so it's nice to see how well laid out they are.

Ian

jayums

Jedi Master
Nita Nitro said:
My random piece is my original copy of the Return of the Jedi novel, picked up in the '83/4, I believe. My gran told me to pick something whilst we were out shopping and I chose the novel. I loved the cover artwork and the prologue and that was enough for me to not choose a figure, or some other item that I would normally have chosen as a 7/8 year old. It's a well thumbed book but I still love it :)

I had that novel ! Had some nice colour photos from the film inside, unless I'm mistaken.

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I had that novel ! Had some nice colour photos from the film inside, unless I'm mistaken.
[/quote]

It does... it's hard to remember just how good it was to have the pictures from the movie in a book like that, especially when there was not the immediate access to the film itself that we have nowadays. It's something I still like in a movie adaptation to this day :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom