How to value and sell my vintage SW collection (including loose vinyl cape jawa).

rkp75

Youngling
Hi

I'm new to the forum. I would like some advice on how to sell my collection. I have a vintage collection from the 80s. I got back into collecting for a while around 2000-2004 (both vintage and prequel) and then nothing really since. I'm sure my story is similar to countless others, in that the collection is currently gathering dust in my now elderly parents loft. The dream was to live in a property with enough space to display everything as it deserves, but that is simply never going to happen, so I think it best to sell up and hopefully help other collectors, while making some money.

I don't currently have a complete list or any photos, but I have everything from the 80s separate from anything purchased later on, therefore preserving the integrity of the vintage collection. I am therefore 100% sure that my vinyl cape jawa is original (I believe it came with the droid factory) along with all of the more common OT figures (many are complete, but all are loose and in played with condition). I also have Yak face, Anakin Skywalker and Han in Carbonite from the 80's. The rest of the Last 17 and Blue Snaggletooth were purchased from eBay between 2000-2004, so even though I believe they are original, it is possible that they won't be.

I have many of the original vehicles and playsets, again in variable condition, some with boxes, but I doubt they would be in tip top condition after so long... highlights may be a boxed Sy Snootles and the Max Rebo Band and the Dagobah playset with box. Sadly the Death Star and Droid Factory are no more.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the specific pieces mentioned could be sold for privately and is the only way of proving their authenticity by having them graded, even though I am 100% sure the items were purchased in the 80s? If grading is the only way, how do I go about this?

Many Thanks

rkp75

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
You're in the right place, but you will definitely need clear pics of everything for accurate valuation. It's worth the time and effort. Sounds like a great collection...

rkp75

Youngling
Thanks, but like I said, I don't have direct access to the collection right now.
Is it worth my time? How much could a pretty decent loose, genuine vinyl cape jawa be sold for?
How about a good condition Max Rebo Band in an average box. What's the ballpark for that?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
VCJ = £1200 +
Rebo Band = £100 +

Collecting is all dependent upon condition.
As Cazza has said, without pictures no one can give you an idea of value and if you want to sell it's the only way forward.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Nestorkicker

Condition matters!
Vinyl Cape Jawa could be £500 or £1300 depends on the cape, paint and joints.
Selling every single figure on its own will get you the most profit but also costs a lot of time. A Lot of awnsering question, taking pics, packing boxes, refund funds for unsatisfied buyers,...
Selling as a bulk saves you a lot of time, but you have to renounce on Profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Just a friendly reminder to everyone that this is strickly a valuation thread and not a sales thread.

Absolutely don't entertain any PM only offers- there's a lot of people out to make a quick buck. Take your time cleaning, matching accessories, taking pics, cataloging and researching prices (this thread is as good a place as any). This will maximise profit and I'm sure you'll enjoy looking through it all.

I would always recommend keeping a couple of your favourite childhood pieces, as well 😊 So many people let them go and really regret it, later down the line.

supergoose

Padawan
Supporter
I would always recommend keeping a couple of your favourite childhood pieces, as well 😊 So many people let them go and really regret it, later down the line.

Well said, always amazes me when people let go of their entire childhood collection especially items that really aren't worth that much :cry:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree with all of the above. I would add however (in answer to your question) that no, grading is most definitely NOT the only way of proving an item's authenticity. Most graders usually get most things right most of the time, however graders have made plenty of mistakes over the years too, so it isn't and never can be a guarantee of authenticity, or even quality, simply because an item is graded.

At the end of the day having an item graded is simply paying for someone else's opinion. Grading is very popular with some collectors, but by no means all. There are plenty of collectors who prefer ungraded items. Grading items also costs both time and money, as there is usually a wait to get your items back again, plus unless you can take and collect the items to the graders yourself, you are also entrusting your items to the delivery companies used, risking damage. That said, graded items usually sell for more than their ungraded counterparts, so you will need to weigh things up and decide what's right for you.

If all you're concerned about is proving authenticity, then grading isn't required. This very forum can help you with that, but again, clear, good quality photos are essential.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy

rkp75

Youngling
Thanks so much for all of your responses - you've all given me lots to think about.

As a further question - is there much market for unopened boxed items from the prequel era?

Are there any figures/diorama scenes which are particularly valuable (monetarily of course, I'm sure we can all appreciate their value in other ways)?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks so much for all of your responses - you've all given me lots to think about.

As a further question - is there much market for unopened boxed items from the prequel era?

Are there any figures/diorama scenes which are particularly valuable (monetarily of course, I'm sure we can all appreciate their value in other ways)?
Yes and no.

EBay sold prices will be your best help for these items. But remember to look at SOLD prices not ASKING prices or you will get a very distorted picture.

There are collectors for everything!
And the "modern" items have a following, even on here, me included.

rkp75

Youngling
Yes and no.

EBay sold prices will be your best help for these items. But remember to look at SOLD prices not ASKING prices or you will get a very distorted picture.

There are collectors for everything!
And the "modern" items have a following, even on here, me included.
Thanks for this - I have to admit I found this site because eBay was full of such mixed information. So many items are listed as "buy now", it is very hard to get a handle of what the market is really like. I completely understand why job lots are offered/sold but again it is very difficult to gauge what individual pieces may be worth.

JediJman

Youngling
There is an app called Star Wars Tracker that might be useful to you. It has most carded and loose figures tracked by prices sold across multiple sites. You can easily see the max pricing for items in mint condition or the min price for items that are well used or worn. I typically use this with the average price to get a good starting point for each item. You can used eBay completed auction prices too to verify the range, but keep in mind that you would lose 10-20% of Ebay winnings by paying fees. Best bet is to sell in a forum like this or a Facebook collecting group. There are "Deal or No Deal" groups that work just like an auction and if the price doesn't get to what you want you don't have to sell.

rkp75

Youngling
There is an app called Star Wars Tracker that might be useful to you. It has most carded and loose figures tracked by prices sold across multiple sites. You can easily see the max pricing for items in mint condition or the min price for items that are well used or worn. I typically use this with the average price to get a good starting point for each item. You can used eBay completed auction prices too to verify the range, but keep in mind that you would lose 10-20% of Ebay winnings by paying fees. Best bet is to sell in a forum like this or a Facebook collecting group. There are "Deal or No Deal" groups that work just like an auction and if the price doesn't get to what you want you don't have to sell.
This is very useful - thank you very much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom