Is it just me or is this a crazy price?

Palifan

Sith Lord
I could well be out of touch with prices for items like this but after reading this thread I'm not even quite sure what to class this figure as - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20250

This seems like one hell of a price to me :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-Palitoy-1980-Grey-Limb-Hoth-Stormtrooper-Loose-/301575260528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4637494970&nma=true&si=toktIvav0Rbo2au4RJ%252BM%252FY7PSAs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ian

Jediknight3263827

Jedi Master
madness, if this had yellow limbs then no one would want him :lol: but at the end of the day it is the same thing discoloration.
i guess a lot of collectors are classing the grey limbs as a variant and not as discoloration .
does kind of look cool though :)

EDIT: woo hoo im finally a Jedi Knight :lol:

Joe

Grand Master
Well, I know one thing..Mark must be happy with his £165 :lol: :lol:

One born every minute :mrgreen:

itfciain

Grand Master
I think it was quite a 'clever' description - made people think it was more of a prototype than just discolouration

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Horrible, £165 for a discoloured, dinged up beater... doesnt even have a gun!

And you are right, the description about it being possibly some sort of Palitoy Prototype, whilst not a lie is certainly manipulative.

Whoever paid £165 for this got royally screwed.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
There's yet to be a definitive answer to the whole grey limb Hoth Trooper debate, so Mark was just covering all the bases with the description.

I don't believe these were prototypes or 1st shots, what I do believe is that these were a batch that had faulty plastics and were discraded by Palitoy. For whatever reason, these found their way onto the open market, possibly through the staff shop which is why you'll never see a carded one (yet!)

I believe these to be an oddity rather than a true variant as they were never for sale to the general public, and as a Palitoy item I can see why it reached to high price it went for.

When I was asked for a valuation on it before it went on ebay I said about £60 but would not be surprised if it topped the £100 mark. £165 is an amazing price though. Too high for me, still hoping I'll find one in the wild for much less.

It's a cool looking figure though :)

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
There's no factual evidence that I can see that suggests this figure is anything other than a horribly discoloured production figure. Like the 1000s of others discoloured beaters that are out there.

When I started out collecting I found an 8DB in a job lot with a deep orange torso and white limbs. Naively I thought wow this must be really valuable. We all want to stumble upon that 'special' find, that rare variant, engineering pilot, first shot. There's an appropriately titled sticky thread on rebelscum filled with such figures and that is where this degraded Hoth Trooper belongs - "discolouration aka prototypes and variations".

£165 what a coup for the seller. Personally i'd value it at a fiver. £4.50 for the cape and 50p for the figure.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
These particular troopers are from a specific batch not a general release figure that's had a reaction to too much sunlight.

They never made it to sale and I would not class these as a general discoloured figure. Now if you were to find evidence of a carded one, that changes things.

As a collector of SW Palitoy items, I'd love to own one.

snaggletooth

Jedi Master
I guess it all comes down to personal taste, I would say they are errors and why they discolor the way they do, there exactly the same as the production figures minus the right amount of anti discolor agent that where added to the plastic. They would have been produced originally to put on cards so IMO they are just discolored figures and the reason they discolour so badly is why they never made it on to any cards, if that is the case.

snaggletooth

Jedi Master
They could have also been made with a different plastic all together originally and why hey discolour the way they do, this factory was making paint and plastic variants from the start and for the same figures COOs

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
SublevelStudios said:
not a general release figure

They never made it to sale

Do these statements make anyone else a bit uncomfortable? We're entitled to our own opinions but we are not entitled to our own facts.

300,000,000 Star Wars figures were produced and by all accounts they were rushed to market in a fairly frantic way to satisfy demand with very little quality control. Tens of thousands, probably 100s of thousands of discoloured figures exist (and yes, they began life on cards). Like all discoloured figure these specific Hoth Troopers didnt begin life with grey limbs, the transition photo proves that they turned grey over the years so the notion that they were singled out as 'defective' by Palitoy quality control doesn't seem likely - particularly when you consider that they went so far as to fit the figure with a cape, which suggests they were still white at this time. The further notion that they were recognised as 'defective' and so sold through the Palitoy shop to employees would also seem like a terrible insult to the employees! They had figures by the bucket full, 1000s upon 1000s upon 1000s, they were not a precious commodity so why would they be so shoddy as to offer their own staff the very worst rejects of the batch!

I haven't seen a carded version of my orange torso 8DB beater either, but that doesn't mean it was a special figure from a special batch that was held in a special drawer and later released to market in a special way. I don't want to argue but I just wanted to point out some of the flaws in this line of thinking. By presenting statements of opinion as fact we risk spreading misinformation and also have contributed to a fellow enthusiast parting with £165 of his hard earned for what is most likely a worthless beater. Again, please check this thread in RS, as it can provide valuable context to this discussion: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t965344/

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
SublevelStudios said:
not a general release figure

They never made it to sale

Do these statements make anyone else a bit uncomfortable? We're entitled to our own opinions but we are not entitled to our own facts.

300,000,000 Star Wars figures were produced and by all accounts they were rushed to market in a fairly frantic way to satisfy demand with very little quality control. Tens of thousands, probably 100s of thousands of discoloured figures exist (and yes, they began life on cards). Like all discoloured figure these specific Hoth Troopers didnt begin life with grey limbs, the transition photo proves that they turned grey over the years so the notion that they were singled out as 'defective' by Palitoy quality control doesn't seem likely - particularly when you consider that they went so far as to fit the figure with a cape, which suggests they were still white at this time. The further notion that they were recognised as 'defective' and so sold through the Palitoy shop to employees would also seem like a terrible insult to the employees! They had figures by the bucket full, 1000s upon 1000s upon 1000s, they were not a precious commodity so why would they be so shoddy as to offer their own staff the very worst rejects of the batch!

I haven't seen a carded version of my orange torso 8DB beater either, but that doesn't mean it was a special figure from a special batch that was held in a special drawer and later released to market in a special way. I don't want to argue but I just wanted to point out some of the flaws in this line of thinking. By presenting statements of opinion as fact we risk spreading misinformation and also have contributed to a fellow enthusiast parting with £165 of his hard earned for what is most likely a worthless beater. Again, please check this thread in RS, as it can provide valuable context to this discussion: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t965344/

Here we go.

Don't go to the trouble of typing all that out and then say you don't want to argue, that's exactly what you're looking to do.

And you forgot to copy and paste this 'There's yet to be a definitive answer to the whole grey limb Hoth Trooper debate'.

You're clearly upset because I don't agree with you on this, it was not my intention to make anyone feel 'uncomfortable'.

If you value this figure at a fiver then fine, I know people who wouldn't give the steam of their piss for a Yak Face but there you go.

I'm not stating anything as fact, the facts are not known as I previously posted, I am basing my opinion on some of the evidence presented, having known about these troopers for nearly 25 years and some of the prices that have been paid in the past.

If you choose to take some of my thinking onboard then fine, if not, no problem, they'll be another opinion along in 5 minutes.

Mr. Bob A. Feet

Jedi Knight
Saw it on Ebay, laughed and moved on!...Some interesting looking Polish bootlegs on at the moment as well as a few "production" molds but being a bit of a novice I'm staying well clear of anything I haven't a scooby on and well they're not my bag anyways...

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Honestly, genuinely not looking to argue... but debate, with intellect and without name calling that I enjoy!

Sub, if you re-read your first post in this thread it is worded as opinion, however your second post in the thread is presented as a statement of fact. Just a matter of wording, thanks for clearing up your stance, we're all good here!

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Honestly, genuinely not looking to argue... but debate, with intellect and without name calling that I enjoy!

Sub, if you re-read your first post in this thread it is worded as opinion, however your second post in the thread is presented as a statement of fact. Just a matter of wording, thanks for clearing up your stance, we're all good here!

Okay, I might have worded my second post slightly better, granted.

Peace, love and all that bollocks... ;)

have been following this thread for a while but just to say it was
my trooper that sold. it came out of a job lot of play worn items 30 figs
and a few ships ect from hansons auctions a few months back. the lot
had 2 grey limb troopers which was even more suprising! I don't think
they are discoloured myself just a factory fault/error. Ive seen lots of hoth
troopers In my 30years of collecting but this is the very first time I have
come across a grey limb. but crazy price I don't think so people buy vcj and
yaks for far more and they are both easy to get!

sparkysx

Sith Lord
They are discoloured, personal opinion is not important, you can see white remaining on the limbs. This is well documented.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom