Kenner Rancor MISB

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Hi guys I need some advice fast about this one.

I sold my Kenner Rancor MISB last week on ebay and they buyer has come back to me saying that has been re-sealed at the bottom. He claims that part of the reason he can tell is because it is missing the bottom insert??? This would mean that the guy has opened the tape! Plus, as far as I knew; Kenner Rancors have one four sided insert. There isnt normally a bottom insert is there???

I checked the box all round at the time of listing and I was happy that it was all legit. No tampering.

Im now very concerned that he has opened a sealed box.

My point is this, if he thought the box was resealed why did he not contact me then? Why on earth would he open it and check the contents? I would never do that? If I was buying the item and I thought it was resealed I would have said there and then. I certainly wouldnt have opened it.

The ebay item number was: 170573516640

Please someone get back tome and tell me what you would do. I feel like Im being screwed on this one.

Many thanks, Chris.

PGowdy

Grand Master
In my opinion if he has opened the box then he's shot himself i the foot and i would tell him i can't issue any kind of refund if the item has been tampered with, which it has. If he genuinely thought it was a reseal and wanted a refund shouldn't he be returning it to you as it was received?? Ridiculous that he opened it and now expects you to do something about it.
Personally i'd tell him where to go. But then i suppose you might get negative feedback so it's a tricky one. Tho i think ebay may side with you here.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
This is exactly what Im thinking Pete. This is the problem with e-bay. As soon as someone questions your judgement, no matter how certain you are about something; you feel almost obliged to bend over backwards to avoid being Negged!

It takes the piss as far as Im concerned. He should never have opened it whatever he thought.

I would always take something back if I thought I was wrong. Ive even taken things back when I know the buyer has got it wrong. But this is different, he has opened it and looked inside!

Im in a seemingly no win situation here.

Chris.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
I asked im why he did not contact me straight away and why he instead opened the seal and he replied with this:

"I have not even opened any seals. The 2 bottom flaps are loose and 1 can be pushed in to see the contents. The tape on the bottom is not discoloured and looks a lot newer than the top seal. I can't see too much inside, other than theres no bottom insert and the rancor is moving around, so not securely placed inside. Understand my point here. I paid a lot of money expecting misb and its not. Don't take the arsehole with me. You would be the same if it was you.

Dave."

PGowdy

Grand Master
Exactly, i mean, not that i'm suggesting he has but your strongest argument here is that if this guy buys a sealed boxed item what's to stop him swapping it for an opened one and returning it. It's absurd to say that he can open an item, sealed OR resealed and then ask for a refund.
All i would say to him is that it was your understanding that the item was 'factory sealed' and if your were to be proven otherwise you would need to have the item returned in exactly the same condition it was sent in so you could asses. If for some reason he was wrong about the item, but it had no been opened, you could not resell it and would lose out.

I really do think ebay would side with you here as i think he would have to prove that the item was missold (so to speak) and now that he's tampered with it, that is impossible.
It's like buying a bag of crisps and trying to get a refund cos "there were no crisps inside" only, you've opened the pack...
No dice.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Exactly Pete! Common sense prevails. Check the response I got!

Maybe I should report it to ebay?

PGowdy

Grand Master
Ok, my last message was written before i read the one with his reply.

It seemed to me like he had made it sound as if he has opened the box as he said he "could see inside" !!
Also, there's no reason for him to be rude. Especially since you're the one he needs to be nice to to get his refund. !?
I guess if the box is exactly as he received it and his poking about hasn't damaged it then you'll have to give him a refund.

Unfortunately i know nothing about boxed stuff so don't know what this inside insert is and whether he may have a point or not.
Cue Emiel... ?

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Sorry to hear about this Chris! :(

Just had a quick look on ebay & found this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-80-S-STAR-WARS-ROTJ-RANCOR-MONSTER-BOXED-KENNER-/260696692028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb2bbd53c

If you check the last photo,you can clearly see that there is only 3 sides to this insert(no bottom part)where as my insert has 4 sides(including the bottom part).I can only assume that Rancors had 2 different inserts(3 & 4 sides).

I would post this question on all the other forums mate & see if anyone can confirm if they did come with 2 types of insert!

Hope this helps,

Mark.

Edit:possibly the Rancor has been put in the wrong way on the one you sold Chris & the other flap is at the top of the box where the tape is sealed instead of the bottom.I've sent you a PM with some pics mate! :)

airjedijamie

Jedi Knight
not being funny but just say no refund as you have sold it like new sealed let him give you bad feedback the ring ebay to get it removed i had it a while a got a girl sold me a sealed boba fett and sent it to me and it was a pie of **** so i asked for the refund after everthing she left me bad feedback so i complaned to ebay about her and they took it off

geordie

Padawan
My rancor is in the different box to the one shown in the above picture, it has a four sided insert without a top or bottom, the rancor is not tied to the insert either and has no holes or marks where it had been,

I think the guy is taking the piss and may have switched the box? would you recognise it again chris?
I sold an xbox few month ago and im sure the buyer switched items then sent it back saying it was broken, but would have been hard/impossible to prove as i never took note of the numbers on the back

As for neg ... its kind of a blackmail thing to me where the buyer has you by the balls, i have over 200 positives on my ebay and 1 neg. for a couple of quids worth of kiddies clothes, PO lost the item and i stupidly threw away proof of posting as it was so low in value, i refunded straight away and apologised ( also offered another item for free ) bitch still negged me, helpfull seller she kindly put !!!

Ebay its a ****ing minefield, good luck getting this sorted mate

Andy

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Thanks for all your responses guys. Those pic are really helpful Emiel! I will offer him the pics and see what he says.

Im losing my christmas cheer over this bullshit! :evil:

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Hey Mark, I sent him this message and here is his reply.

Dave, Im not "Taking the Arsehole" with you. Your initial message set the tone for my reply. What you have to understand here is that your evidence for saying that the box has been resealed is rather weak. The Rancor was not always packed with a bottom insert. I can send pictures of the inserts from other examples to an email address if you wish. Also, the fact that the tape on the bottom looks fresher is also not surprising as this has not been exposed to the same amount of sunlight as the top of the box therefore it will normally be less yellow. The fact that you hve prodded the bottom in to take a peak has not helped your case.
Regardless of this, I consider myself a fair and very honest seller as do the 700+ people who have dealt with me on here not to mention the countless collectors I have dealt with on forums. I have never knowingly sold resealed items and to make out that I would is actually insulting Dave. I am a longstanding collector and only have the interests of the hobby at heart.
The item was bought from America from a respected dealer and was bought as MISB. I checked it and was happy with it and had no reason to doubt that it was MISB.
Despite this, I want all of my customers to be happy I will offer a full refund on the following conditions:
The item must be returned to me in the same (or as close to the sane) condition as it arrived to you. You must pay the return postage via the same service I used. This is standard practice.

I hope this is ok by you.

Regards, Chris.

His Reply:

I haven't opened or damaged the packaging at all. The flap at the bottom of the box was loose on arrival. I am not trying to insult you, just trying to make sure the rancor is 100%. I am not saying that you have knowingly sold a resealed item. Altough there are wankers on ebay who would. I am happy with the info you have provided. Thanks for getting back to me.

Dave.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Ive not heard back from him since this message Mark and he hasnt left me feedback yet but I would presume from that message that he has changed his mind and is now keeping it.

What do you reckon?

Chris.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Ditto mate. Really didnt like the way he wrote to me in the first place basically accusing me of selling him an item that "must have known to be resealed" then 3 messages later says "Im not accusing you of knowingly selling a re-seal."

A bit off IMO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom