Martin's wall-mounted custom display case

Darthin

Padawan
Inspired by a blog I can't remember the name of, I decided to display my loose figure collection in a custom glass frame, made by simply connecting two IKEA Ribba frames (deep version) by top-mounted hinges. It displays nicely, and takes up very little space which is a rare commodity in my house;)
I decided to do the ROTJ line first, which is why I chose to use two deep frames as Gam Guard and the Rancor keeper are too bulky to fit within the depth of a single frame (ex the Rebo band which will have to have their own case made). I cut out a piece of foamcard as backing, onto which I glued blue cardboard to emulate the blister background colour from the vintage cardbacks. Then I carefully aligned the figures and used thin, transparent elastic thread to fix the figures in place, with their weapons likewise mounted beside each figure:

20140127_223313_zps0cca35eb.jpg

Case opened, with a foam strip added to prevent dust
20140127_223355_zps1c7a2f3f.jpg

Close-up of how I fixed each figure and weapon:
20140127_223419_zps67601ea2.jpg

Am about to mount it onto the wall today, and intend to do the same for the SW and ESB runs.

Oh, and here's a delayed Xmas gift from the missus which arrived yesterday:
20140125_172509_zpsfbea2f38.jpg

Good times ;)

Martin

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
Great to see this solution without using too much space, walls are great for displaying! :D

thenightmarcher

Padawan
Awesome display! My collection has been bagged up for far too long & is crying out for a place on the wall that they can call their own. I don't have room for glass cabinets, so this is a great solution, perfectly executed.

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
Excellent idea Martin :D the display looks great.

One question thou, did you use archival materials? Like the foam & the cardboard is it acid free? Just something I'm curious about as if I copy your great display idea I don't want my figures to discolor or have any kind of degradation. Just something to think about.

Cheers

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Great idea and well displayed, would love to see a pic of them hanging on the wall when you've got the empire and new hope sets done too, imagining it would look amazing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom