Minimum cost of a 12bk beater run.

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
As the title would suggest what would the minimum cost be to pull together a full set of 12bk Beater MOCs?

I'll never be able to afford a run of Minty MOCs and was wondering if a run of beaters was within my reach.

Will interesting to hear people's opinion on this.

itfciain

Grand Master
I guess your definition of 'beater' will affect the price - if you happy with partial reseals or cracked/badly dented bubbles then I would expect that you could pick up a lot of them for around the 100-150 mark - but you may have to be patient - damaged cards and slightly dented bubbles and you are probably averaging 200 each

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
itfciain said:
I guess your definition of 'beater' will affect the price - if you happy with partial reseals or cracked/badly dented bubbles then I would expect that you could pick up a lot of them for around the 100-150 mark - but you may have to be patient - damaged cards and slightly dented bubbles and you are probably averaging 200 each

I'll second that.

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
I think I can effectively kiss goodby to owning even a beater 12bk run. :(

Are 20/21's more realistically priced?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
This is an interesting subject, I have asked myself the same question. I think most vintage Star Wars collectors given untapped funds would want a set of mint 12 backs, myself included. The thing is, would you really want to drop that sort of cash (2k+) on a set with beat up cards and dented bubbles? I don't think I would. I might gradually go for a set of first 12 on Jedi cards but even that's not exactly cheap. I've got 4 of them. I may not ever own 12 backs but I still massively enjoy collecting items that are within my budget :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Sadly the prices have sky rocketed over the last couple of years, I put together this set back in 2011 for just over a grand and although not mint they were all far from beaters, most C7-C8.

Tip - keep an eye out for AFA 70 and below MOCs. People avoid them like the plague, and they are often plenty nice enough for display (a crack or single vein can reduce the grade to 60!) while looking for a Jawa ungraded ones were going for £125-£150, I picked up an AFA 70 which had a dent on the top of the bubble and a little edge wear for £60 and cracked it out the case :)

12backs.jpg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Sadly the prices have sky rocketed over the last couple of years, I put together this set back in 2011 for just over a grand and although not mint they were all far from beaters, most C7-C8.

Tip - keep an eye out for AFA 70 and below MOCs. People avoid them like the plague, and they are often plenty nice enough for display (a crack or single vein can reduce the grade to 60!) while looking for a Jawa ungraded ones were going for £125-£150, I picked up an AFA 70 which had a dent on the top of the bubble and a little edge wear for £60 and cracked it out the case :)

Yeah great tip this is how I completed my 12 back run going for lower graded ones. Still ended up paying £350 for AFA 60 Han Solo! :roll:

benny100

Sith Lord
I'd pick up any 12 back card in your budget, a few beat up 12 backs will give you something to trade up when the time comes. I'm not sure their prices will drop but can't see afa70-80's increasing either.

SOJ

Sith Lord
If you've got a spare £3k........

Vintage Star Wars 12 back figures moc carded in packets
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-star-wars-12-back-figures-moc-carded-in-w/1085849152

wrighty

Sith Lord
Not a beater set but quite a nice set!! http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271650045948

Palifan

Sith Lord
The set I had was much better than the one above with a Large Head Han at AFA 80 and I struggled to get just over 2K for them a few years ago (maybe 4-5). Just shows how much these things have gone up in value. That said though I was happy enough at the time and they went to a good home so no regrets from me. I even put a resealed Kenner set together afterwards just because I love those played with figures so much :lol:

Ian

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Are 20/21's more realistically priced?[/quote]

The first eight debut 20 backs are starting to push high hundred's of £'s but the other 12 aren't as bad. Beaters a lot cheaper, but not much of them about at the moment though. Good idea to go for 20/21 backs though as they still look the same from the front!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Debut Kenner 20 backs have commanded a premium for a fair while as they r not easy to find! I was happy to settle for 21 backs as they were offerless and so much nicer than the 20 backs with offers on the front :D Also they were a lot easier and cheaper to find when I was collecting Kenner :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom