New to Star Wars Collecting

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's a recent completed auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331707953311

Luke Farmboy is almost always one of the more expensive figures on any cardback, so this certainly shows you it's achievable.

craig51

Padawan
edd_jedi said:
Yes definitely, with patience you should be able to do it for probably 2 or 3k (5k if graded.) 15k would probably get you a set of Star Wars 12 backs, but to put it in perspective I put together a set for 1.5k in 2011, that's how much prices have gone through the roof for SW 12 backs!

£5k would get me ESB 12 backs in ok condition? Thats interesting.
Star Wars does appeal to me, I just need to mentally prepare myself of £15k sitting in 12 bits of plastic. Its funny as Ihave spent more on individual star trek props, but this just scares me slightly. Dont know why, just seems to for some reason.

I am at work right now and ebay is blocked, but I will check out the links above tonight.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I would take a step back before diving in mate, 15k is more than a lot of collectors spend in a decade. I reckon you could complete a 12 back ungraded Kenner run for about 4k if you weren't fussy about condition. All the best whatever you go for anyway. :)

craig51

Padawan
theforceuk said:
I would take a step back before diving in mate, 15k is more than a lot of collectors spend in a decade. I reckon you could complete a 12 back ungraded Kenner run for about 4k if you weren't fussy about condition. All the best whatever you go for anyway. :)

Is that for star wars or ESB?

i still need to decide on the whole graded thing.I do know I want MOC, mint being almost perfect, but i dont mind price stickers or punched holes.

The vechiles are different, as long as they come with the box, if its loose then thats cool as I would want them on display next to by figures which I will probally put in individual cases anyway!

maxf

Jedi Master
the Mint in MOC, generally refers to the figure, not the card - so a MOC can be in poor shape, as long as it's sealed.

craig51

Padawan
maxf said:
the Mint in MOC, generally refers to the figure, not the card - so a MOC can be in poor shape, as long as it's sealed.

ah ok. I would defo want the card to be in a reasonable state, so not crushed or ripped etc.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Some definite bargains can be had by buying first 12 characters on 20 back cards (Kenner). Then you've got the nice Star Wars full logo and if you can tag the 20a's and 20b's then there's no Offer on them either. I've never checked but I'd have thought collecting them on 20's would be about the same as collecting them on ESB cards.

Edit: And welcome to the forums!! :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
craig51 said:
theforceuk said:

Is that for star wars or ESB?

i still need to decide on the whole graded thing.I do know I want MOC, mint being almost perfect, but i dont mind price stickers or punched holes.

The vechiles are different, as long as they come with the box, if its loose then thats cool as I would want them on display next to by figures which I will probally put in individual cases anyway!

12 back's only have Star Wars logo on the front and some good advice on the 20 backs, although the offerless 20 backs are hard to come by, so if your only interested in what the front looks like then the 21 backs are a good idea as well.

This is a good guide for cardbacks -

http://www.12back.com/features/cardbacks/cardbacks.php3

craig51

Padawan
Oh man, now even more choices.

And thanks for all the links too.

I think I have narrowed it down to a 12 back, Star Wars or ESB, ungraded , but not against graded, with a decent condition card .

I think I need to start the search soon. That's the next pitfall. I still need to know what's crazy and what isn't. I would want to get the expensive ones bought first.

Apart from eBay and here, do we have any good, trusted Facebook links etc?

Ps

Records, what on earth are these and how do I avoid,

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
craig51 said:
Oh man, now even more choices.

And thanks for all the links too.

I think I have narrowed it down to a 12 back, Star Wars or ESB, ungraded , but not against graded, with a decent condition card .

I think I need to start the search soon. That's the next pitfall. I still need to know what's crazy and what isn't. I would want to get the expensive ones bought first.

Apart from eBay and here, do we have any good, trusted Facebook links etc?

Ps

Records, what on earth are these and how do I avoid,

Recard or reseal is a MOC that has been opened and then resealed, not always with original parts. I personally don't collect them, but many long term collectors do and their is not a lot wrong with them apart from the chumps that try to sell them as factory sealed examples. Again this forum is a great place to post a link to something your interested in or ready to hit the BIN button on. My advice to you is have fun looking for something you want and post a link on here to get advice on price, authenticity and condition.

I can't really comment on Facebook as I don't really use it for the hobby, again many do and I'm sure I miss out, so perhaps others can advise. Many members on here have pages on Facebook which are good sources of information and smoke out the clowns.

I bought a stormtrooper 41 back afa 85 $350 Luke 41 back afa 80 $400 darth Vader 65 back afa 85 $350 so that's $1100 for a quarter of the 12 in brilliant condition so I'm not sure why the mention of 15k , you could complete the first 12 in brilliant condition on a combination of esb or rotj for under $4000 easily , if your not sure yet , then don't bother spending big bucks until you are sure , all the best .

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi Craig, welcome to the forum. There is most of the time moc and boxes for sale on the forum. There is a lot of guides to look at for what there is to hunt. Do you only want on of each item or do you also want variants ?

Good luck with the hunt :wink:

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Great advice from everyone here just one thing to remember is that the fun is in the hunt. Slapping 15K on the table to a dealer and walking away with a full set of 12 backs won't feel half as good as ticking them off 1 by 1.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Just to clarify a couple of terms for Craig.

MOC = mint figure on card.

MOMC = mint figure on mint card

Many people incorrectly assume MOC means the card in mint as well. While it would be heavily criticized, technically a card could be ripped in half and creased to hell with a crushed and yellow bubble, but as long as that figure is still sealed to the part of the card behind it and not removable, it's a MOC.

You said you are looking for "reasonable" condition. Since only you know what you're looking for, consider looking at AFA75 graded figures. Most 75's are still in good shape, but with maybe a crease on the card or corner ding on a bubble. If those flaws are acceptable to you, the grading will erase (most) doubts of authenticity, and 75's don't carry the stupid extra premium higher grades do. If anything, you might even score some deals, and many AFA buyers aren't overly interested in anything under 80/85, despite cards that often times are barely different than the higher graded ones.

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom