Old Toy Shop discovery story

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Starzone said:
Many people tried to buy this stock going back many years, the owner would never sell it though for any price.

I have dealt with these difficult type of people in the past and always wonder why they would be reluctant to sell even though you are offering much more than the average Joe public would offer for individual pieces. I think they become emotionally attached to their stock.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Amazing though that it stayed securely locked with all the stock intact :shock:[/quote]

To be fair that shop window didn't particularly suggest there would be anything great inside.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Stories like this are incredible. So much is turning up at the moment it's hard to keep track!!

Is there any idea what the bulk of those near 600 figures would be?

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
I'd expect a mixed palitoy/kenner ROTJ given what we can see in that photo.

Jason

Do we think Vectis might sell full boxes or will they split them or even some of both i.e. Full boxes and split? It will be interesting how they sell with them especially with people knowing there are nearly 800 figures out there.

momike

Jedi Master
From what I've been told everyone knew about this shop for 20+ years, apparently the old woman was very stubon and would never sell to any of the dealers who came sniffing around

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
If people are thinking there are a lot of Klaatu's around at the moment I can pretty much guarantee there will be ALOT more in a few weeks :lol:

I'm not sure whether it would be something Vectis would do, but it would be great to get the actual mixes per case documented - Kenner/Palitoy split, Figures per box etc. Obviously this assumes that the cases are pretty much untampered with.

Even if they don't, we'll know by the end of the auctions what the total numbers were. I'm going to keep track of them anyway, it would be great to see the final splits for first 12, ESBs, etc as opposed to pure ROTJ characters and see how that compares to my befuddled memories in the toy shop thread :lol:

I'm guessing that Vectis will almost certainly batch them up. One, it'll take too long to sell so many individually even over a couple of auctions. But more importantly, once the 40th Klaatu or Ewok comes up they'll be going for peanuts or not even selling. To avoid that they can probably batch up something rare, like a first 12, then two or three semi-rares, then half a dozen common ROTJ's. That would help keep up the interest for some of the uninteresting stuff and help get the best price for the seller.

However they do it, Palitoy ROTJ prices will surely fall in the short term at least until the supply drops off again which is good for us all as collectors, and it might make them available for people who hadn't considered collecting MOC's in the past due to price. 800 cards is a lot to get through however you dish them up.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
If people are thinking there are a lot of Klaatu's around at the moment I can pretty much guarantee there will be ALOT more in a few weeks :lol:

I'm not sure whether it would be something Vectis would do, but it would be great to get the actual mixes per case documented - Kenner/Palitoy split, Figures per box etc. Obviously this assumes that the cases are pretty much untampered with.

Even if they don't, we'll know by the end of the auctions what the total numbers were. I'm going to keep track of them anyway, it would be great to see the final splits for first 12, ESBs, etc as opposed to pure ROTJ characters and see how that compares to my befuddled memories in the toy shop thread :lol:

I'm guessing that Vectis will almost certainly batch them up. One, it'll take too long to sell so many individually even over a couple of auctions. But more importantly, once the 40th Klaatu or Ewok comes up they'll be going for peanuts or not even selling. To avoid that they can probably batch up something rare, like a first 12, then two or three semi-rares, then half a dozen common ROTJ's. That would help keep up the interest for some of the uninteresting stuff and help get the best price for the seller.

However they do it, Palitoy ROTJ prices will surely fall in the short term at least until the supply drops off again which is good for us all as collectors, and it might make them available for people who hadn't considered collecting MOC's in the past due to price. 800 cards is a lot to get through however you dish them up.

I think you're correct with the batching.
I also hope Vectis are watching this thread and responsible enough to know to take accurate photographs.

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
ponchobelt said:
Hollywell is down the road from me! Shucks wish i knew it was there when it was open. Still i wouldnt think to ask if they rotj figures in 2009! Nuts :shock:

It's not far from me either, why couldn't I have found it? :shock:

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Just a thought, but what if the cases are all figure specific like the one I have as thats a 96 figure case & its all just a single figure, could mean there are only 6/7 figures & we can already see at least Vader & 3p0 are in the lot, that would be a ball ache

Mr. Bob A. Feet

Jedi Knight
Frunkstar said:
Just a thought, but what if the cases are all figure specific like the one I have as thats a 96 figure case & its all just a single figure, could mean there are only 6/7 figures & we can already see at least Vader & 3p0 are in the lot, that would be a ball ache

I doubt it to such a small shop? well would seem odd to me anyway but let's hope not unless they're 96 Bobas and I might actually be able to get one!...

walkie

Sith Lord
Frunkstar said:

There also appears to be a lot of Gammy's & Logray's in the mix. Seems odd how the Vader shown loose has a clear bubble but the boxed Gammy's are yellowed ??

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
walkie said:
Frunkstar said:

There also appears to be a lot of Gammy's & Logray's in the mix. Seems odd how the Vader shown loose has a clear bubble but the boxed Gammy's are yellowed ??

Looks like the GG's are Kenner. Personal opinion backed up by nothing whatsoever, but I always think Kenner plastics yellow more than Palitoy. The Ewoks are Palitoy and yellow though :roll:

There should be a much higher proportion of ROTJ figures - 60%+ I reckon.

What's on the far left? DSD/3PO? The feet look shiny.

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
walkie said:
Frunkstar said:

There is a mix of Kenners and Palitoys that's why the bubbles are different colours. Clearly Palitoy were sending out mixed boxes at the time. It will be fascinating to see the distribution of figures per box. I would imagine most will be the common types say £20-£30 figures, but potentially there could be Kenner or Palitoy Boba Fetts in there (maybe a couple in each box). Kenner Fetts go for a lot now but if Palitoy they could command a princely sum especially as we know the provenance and are not TTs.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great story ,

I bet there are still hidden gems out there , I remember where I was a kid there were 4 toy shops in our small town , all of them closed up in the 80's and 90's .

What did they do with their stock ?

Maybe we need a toy hunt

Steve

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom