Painting vintage Star Wars toys: a journey

Billimore

Padawan
Back in the day, I used to collect vintage Star Wars toys, but in 2007 I had to sell up to pay for an unexpected tax bill. As you might imagine, I was bereft without my collection - and unable to afford to amass a new collection!

I work freelance as an art educator through Southampton City Art Gallery and as an Outreach teacher for Hampshire Futures teaching visual art and IT. As a trained artist (BA in Fine Art and a Masters Degree in European Fine Art) I hit upon the idea to document in watercolour the entire Kenner Star Wars toy range 1977 - 1989... thus I could have my very own collection of SW toys (albeit on paper in 2D form).

Surprisingly for me, this project / adventure really took off. I posted a couple of examples of my artwork on a couple of SW Facebook sites and to my amazement I was inundated with requests for commissions. At this time, I also discovered a wide and vibrant community of fellow collectors, fans, retro geeks and toy art customizers.

I have been drawing and painting vintage Star Wars toys since 2013 and I yet I have only scratched the surface of my goal. The journey continues!

Recently, I have started selling a few limited edition Giclée prints of the paintings. Here's a link to my art blog http://ali-watercolours.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/home.html
KennerCanadaVCJawaR2web.jpg

Feeback and suggestions are always welcome.

I am always up to take on art commissions, so message me if you like what I do and have an idea for a art piece. Thanks!

Billimore

Padawan
New painting: Vintage Star Wars ROTJ MOC Darth Vader

Attachments

• MOC-DarthVaderROTJweb.jpg
    MOC-DarthVaderROTJweb.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 76

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Ali

That's a beauty, your work is superb 8) hellof a lot of work obviously in these, but the end results are fantastic.

Billimore

Padawan
Thanks for the positive feedback - the Vader MOC was a bit tricky, but I think it has come out OK. The digital scan has drained colour from the Anakin sticker... note to self, I need a better scanner :) :D.

Any suggestion as to what to paint next is always welcome. I was thinking about painting a original 12 back Princess Leia MOC.

If anyone wants a hand-painted bespoke original vintage star wars still-life toy watercolour - commissions starting at £40 (A4 paper size) and up (depending on size and complexity).

I also create limited prints of my work. I have had very good feedback that dissemination of limited prints have raised the profile and resell value of the original work.

I can't claim that I am reaping a hefty reward for the financial return, but at my own indulgence, I would like to think that maybe they will be collected, cherished, shared, swapped and sold. - See more at: http://ali-watercolours.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/welcome-to-my-watercolour-and-graphite.html#sthash.tlkt5xGc.dpuf

mumbo

Sith Lord
Love your work Ali and am the proud owner of a commissioned piece for my collecting focus.

If anyone has a focus I would recommend getting in touch with Ali to commission some artwork which would add a cool factor to your display 8)

IMG_2078_zps1dcea71e.jpg

Billimore

Padawan
:D Thanks guys.

I have yet to try and paint a Diecast SW toy, definitely one for the list.

Hey mumbo, thanks for the endorsement! How's the Jedi Luke focus going?

mumbo

Sith Lord
Billimore said:
:D Thanks guys.

I have yet to try and paint a Diecast SW toy, definitely one for the list.

Hey mumbo, thanks for the endorsement! How's the Jedi Luke focus going?

All good Ali, still looking for anything with that picture...... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14401

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom