Star Wars: Droids - What's the appeal?

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
I think once you have a complete run of the 93 or whatever it is I think its natural to look for something to collect next. If it wasn't for the prices I'd buy them.

I was the perfect age for the cartoons. Ewoks was an alright run of the mill throwaway cartoon but as a 7/8 year old Droids used to really frustrate me - I just wanted to see blasters and lightsabers and cool space battles, not seed guns! However I watched all of Droids last year on Youtube and I actually enjoyed it. I think I appreciate the plight of R2 and 3PO more as an adult!

starshipriot

Jedi Master
I like the toys but the cartoon was pretty wank. Stormtroopers didnt even have guns in it, just stupid sticks. And ewoks was entirely too magic, it was like my little pony or something.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Not a fan of them personally. I think I vaguely remember the cartoons as a kid, but they weren't among my favourite shows. Most of the characters don't look like Star Wars figures, and the cardbacks are rubbish too.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Contrary to pretty much all other opinion posted so far, I really like them. I have good memories of the Droids cartoons and actually still find them kind of funny when I've taken the time to watch them again. 3-PO and R2 were great caricatures of the original characters. Sure loads wrong with them, but then again you can pick holes in anything if you want.
The toys are for me at least are a move-on and of course they don't match the other series (SW, ESB and ROTJ) because they are based on a cartoon... if they looked realistic or had matching packaging they would be bizarre to say the least.
They clearly weren't a success though as they didn't do second runs, so they clearly weren't popular, but I do wish they were cheaper these days!

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I didn't think the Droids or Ewoks cartoons were televised in the UK, so I've learned something! I cant believe I never saw even one.

I understand why people collect the figures but they are not for me, the visual aesthetic is just way too babyish and doesn't match up with the movie line. However I will always be thankful to the Droids line for the A-Wing Fighter!

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Unfortunately I have no memory or have ever seen any of the cartoons, so I won't be collecting them anytime soon .
However definitely the whole Star Wars bubble driving value up and collectors who have finished there focus or run its another vintage Star Wars focus

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom