SWTOTW, Week 14, 2019, Part 1/2, Ugnaught

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Regarding the purple smock / bib discolouration, one thing I find striking is that I have not yet seen a purple one carded. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and therefore the fact that I personally have never seen one does not of course mean that they definitely don't exist. However, it is curious and it also lends at least a little weight to my own personal hypothesis that the discolouration of some smocks from blue to purple is probably due to oxidation of the dye, since if a figure is still sealed on its card (even if there is a tiny slit / gap at the foot of the bubble), very little gas exchange can occur and hence the blue smock is exposed to very little oxygen and hence oxidation of the dye will be extremely limited.

However, take the figure off the card, and bingo! As much oxygen as you like can flood all over the smock and react with the dye, if that particular dye is one which readily oxidizes.
Interesting, it's only been recently that I've even began to consider buying MOC. I shall need to keep a closer eye on this and see if your hypothesis is indeed correct.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Here are my blue bib and purple bib variants. I did have a minty purple but sold him off when I picked up my blue but variant, instantly regretted it and picked up another nice but not quite so good variant.

The debate around whether the purple bib is a variant is an interesting one and fits well with your discoloured toys post Lars. You can see on my purple bib that there is a small patch that hasn't turned purple yet demonstrating that it was once much bluer in appearance.

That said, I'd be interested to determine if it is one particular factory's cape that is prone to degrading, or whether it is just environmental factors. Unfortunately I can't even hazard a guess with mine as I swapped my bibs around as I upgraded and can't remember what they were to start with :?

Thanks mate for sharing your ugnaughts, I think they look great :D I agree the purple bib is interesting for the discoloured toys post :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Dr_Ball_MD said:
As usual, a couple of loosies.

16037867103_c1b51f98a0_z.jpg
16656744942_efda6c0eae_z.jpg

another great lot of ugnaughts, thanks mate for sharing them, they look great 8)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
and a few more cardbacks

P1180497.JPG

P1180498.JPG

P1180499.JPG

P1180500.JPG

P1180501.JPG

P1180502.JPG

P1180504.JPG

P1180505.JPG
Yet another fabulous assortment of figures and cardbacks, Lars. And for what it's worth, you have also posted a picture of my all-time favourite card back, the Kenner 41E (http://theswca.com/images-speci/cardbacks/pages/esb41e.htm). I just love that blue (you might notice that many of my own figures are photographed against a similar blue, which is the colour I chose to paint that cabinet), and I love the memory of how exciting it was as a child to see a picture of an AT-AT on the back of this card for the very first time :)

Thanks for sharing!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
and a few more cardbacks

P1180497.JPG

P1180498.JPG

P1180499.JPG

P1180500.JPG

P1180501.JPG

P1180502.JPG

P1180504.JPG

P1180505.JPG
Yet another fabulous assortment of figures and cardbacks, Lars. And for what it's worth, you have also posted a picture of my all-time favourite card back, the Kenner 41E (http://theswca.com/images-speci/cardbacks/pages/esb41e.htm). I just love that blue (you might notice that many of my own figures are photographed against a similar blue, which is the colour I chose to paint that cabinet), and I love the memory of how exciting it was as a child to see a picture of an AT-AT on the back of this card for the very first time :)

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks mate for the kind words :D Yes the blue background is cool, I have just received 3 cardbacks with blue 41 cardback that I did not have in my collection :D Yes I have seen your blue background, memory is very importen and cool that you also have choosen that paint to your cabinet :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom