The forum is silent

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi guys I think the forum is very silent at the moment, what can we do to get some more noise around here ? :)

Any idea of what is going on :unsure:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm afraid the rather inexplicable rise of Facebook is largely responsible. Personally, I've never seen the appeal of it and regard forums like this as superior in every conceivable way, but Zuckerberg has suckered most of the world into using 'his' creation, so here's where we find ourselves.

If people want this forum to continue to exist - as I do - then they have to use it!

Jeremy

Last edited:

lejackal

Grand Master
I far prefer the forum format BUT as soon as the sales went the masses went. I'm certain a large number still use this place as a resource but they are not here to interact, they're here for information.

Start talking about football, the premier league thread is normally active with one or the other of us crying about our teams latest calamity

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Agreed. Never used Facebook and never will. I think it has really affected the market in many ways, and Ebay is dying a slow death - but that's their own doing.

Facebook is a completely different animal though. From what I hear it is full of bullies and Billy Big bollocks showing off with their big wallets.

I truly believe we will never see the hobby rise as high as it did over the past 10 years. More people are cutting their losses now and the true meaning of collecting is long gone.

Very sad- I miss the old days.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Much prefer it on here to FB, for all the reasons you've all mentioned above. It's a shame that people move to FB, because it's quieter on here these days- if all those people stayed and contributed on here still, it would still be thriving. Carl's right about the sales- think it's a massive factor.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yep, you cannot beat this forum for knowledge and information and it's got a completely different vibe from the fb groups. Just the other day I decided to really reduce the time I spend online on my mob - social media is just so ****in toxic.

I'd check my mob first thing in the morning and as soon as I woke up, scrolling through nonsense like a zombie right up to the point of falling asleep and wonder why I was getting pissed off at little things - non stop negativity and I was hooked on it. Watching a video about a woman holding a parking space by standing in it, some Karen kicking off in a shop, a few road rage clips.

Then there's this place - just feels so much better, familiar, positive, proper community feeling. So now I get off my arse, walk through to the spare room and go onto the forum on my PC so it's an actual thing not just a a random mob scroll. Feels more like a hobby, like it use to be on here - wow when you think back to how busy this forum was 5 years ago.

Fingers crossed more and more people will circle back here and generate more activity.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
In a nutshell, Colin! I've recently deactivated my FB, because of the aimless scrolling, FOMO and utter bullshit from so many people- even my friends! Awful that so many people spend their days like that. Who says Happy Birthday to their son/daughter/other half on Facebook, when they live in the same house? The whole thing is ridiculous!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
In a nutshell, Colin! I've recently deactivated my FB, because of the aimless scrolling, FOMO and utter bullshit from so many people- even my friends! Awful that so many people spend their days like that. Who says Happy Birthday to their son/daughter/other half on Facebook, when they live in the same house? The whole thing is ridiculous!
As someone who's never used Facebook, you really don't make me feel like I'm missing out! :ROFLMAO:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Yep, you cannot beat this forum for knowledge and information and it's got a completely different vibe from the fb groups. Just the other day I decided to really reduce the time I spend online on my mob - social media is just so ****in toxic.

I'd check my mob first thing in the morning and as soon as I woke up, scrolling through nonsense like a zombie right up to the point of falling asleep and wonder why I was getting pissed off at little things - non stop negativity and I was hooked on it. Watching a video about a woman holding a parking space by standing in it, some Karen kicking off in a shop, a few road rage clips.

Then there's this place - just feels so much better, familiar, positive, proper community feeling. So now I get off my arse, walk through to the spare room and go onto the forum on my PC so it's an actual thing not just a a random mob scroll. Feels more like a hobby, like it use to be on here - wow when you think back to how busy this forum was 5 years ago.

Fingers crossed more and more people will circle back here and generate more activity.
Yes the forum was much more busy 5 years ago. In 2012 when I joined new items came for sale every day on the forum and many items sold fast. Just looking at jedi_masters new sales thread on the forum with yoda figures. I am surprised all is not sold yet :oops: But great to see one is allready sold (y)

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Much prefer it on here to FB, for all the reasons you've all mentioned above. It's a shame that people move to FB, because it's quieter on here these days- if all those people stayed and contributed on here still, it would still be thriving. Carl's right about the sales- think it's a massive factor.

I would agree with you both. The amount of sales that goes through fb is probably more than ebay, and I must admit one group does have a lot of nice items which are snapped up no sooner than been listed, although it's a sales page more than a group. Swfuk was the first source found when I started collecting again, and I always check in on it.

lejackal

Grand Master
The big FB groups (echo & Jabbas primarily) have a lot of sales, but quite a lot of really good stuff goes through the dealer ran groups, all built off the back of sales on here and the aforementioned facebook groups. And once the dealers have their own private groups to sell from with thousands of members actively fighting for items the price goes up, and up, and up. Rinse and repeat

TX-20

Hello there. I'm new. I just stumbled across the forum and its great saw this post on the side and thought i'd make an account and say hello! Found some info I was searching for that I couldn't find anywhere else on the internet... sadly I think much of the old internet is lost or deleted and anything left needs archival. And yeah I agree with you all on FB even though I admit it's useful sometimes but I only use it for the Star Wars hobby strictly. Theres still a place in the world for internet forums like this one!

Palifan

Sith Lord
Well at least some of us are still going on here and agree with all of the above points, such a great place to hangout on here and you can actually find an old topic, unlike FB that buries every posting after an hour.

Ian

Pomse2001

Grand Master
The big FB groups (echo & Jabbas primarily) have a lot of sales, but quite a lot of really good stuff goes through the dealer ran groups, all built off the back of sales on here and the aforementioned facebook groups. And once the dealers have their own private groups to sell from with thousands of members actively fighting for items the price goes up, and up, and up. Rinse and repeat
It sounds very bad, I miss more and more the good old days where you could get most things for less than $30 it has becoming a money machine, I really like it more when it was worth not very much. Ok I know my collection would also me worth less, but I do not collect because of the value.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hello there. I'm new. I just stumbled across the forum and its great saw this post on the side and thought i'd make an account and say hello! Found some info I was searching for that I couldn't find anywhere else on the internet... sadly I think much of the old internet is lost or deleted and anything left needs archival. And yeah I agree with you all on FB even though I admit it's useful sometimes but I only use it for the Star Wars hobby strictly. Theres still a place in the world for internet forums like this one!
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the support. Hope to see you more here on the forum (y)

sith-smith

Grand Master
While FB has its uses - and admittedly it is a lot easier/quicker to buy/sell on there - it lacks the depth and quality of discussion that we have had on this site. I wonder though if that's what people/new collectors want?

Latest posts

Top Bottom