The John Kellerman Book

Joe

Grand Master
JohnA said:
The book sellers are making more profit than John ever did.

John

I know there are several sellers on ebay with boxes of John's book and just float them out there every few weeks each time making over $100, it makes me sick that they make 3 times the original price when there are people that desperately want one but for whatever reason missed the boat the first time round and these guys are sitting on hundreds of copies..

I also can't say enough nice things about John Kellerman, I recently purchased a proof from him and he was a gentleman through and through, part of me wishes that if anyone was selling this book for over $100 it was John himself so at least he did make a profit and not these scum bag ebay sellers :(

Peter

Padawan
JohnA said:
Peter said:
Does anyone know why this book had such a limited run??

The secondary market price is ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0972378006/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used WTF

http://www.brianstoys.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=OSSWVINTAGEFIGURESBYKELLERMAN

It just does not make sense. The author obviously worked very hard on this publication, so you would think they would flood the market with them so they could make more money and satisfy demand...

Surely they must have known the demand for this book would be massive. Why would they fuel the secondary market like this. Just rips off genuine collectors...

Do you realize that John self-published this book? I've heard of others that self-published and it cost something like $30,000 out of pocket. That's no small chunk of change. It took John something like 5 years to sell through his inventory. He even offered it for discounts through Amazon, Forbidden Planet, and others. He busted his ass for years trying to sell through but people just were not buying it fast enough and when all was said and done I think he just about broke even. Years of researching, writing, photographing, a HUGE expense out of pocket followed by 5 long years (and mind you John is 70 years old) and he made not a dime of profit. I understand you want a book but please know the facts before saying stuff about fueling secondary markets and ripping genuine collectors off. The book sellers are making more profit than John ever did.

John

Yeah ok no need to get funny about it. I don't know the fella i was only asking a question. Thank god you have got all the answers. Any chance you could answer my other question??

spoons

Grand Master
Peter said:
[

Surely they must have known the demand for this book would be massive. Why would they fuel the secondary market like this. Just rips off genuine collectors...

Hi Peter, the thing is the demand isn't massive. These sellers shift a few books now and then but it wont make or break them depending on how many shift. If John had printed a second run he'd still be sitting on most of them.

Peter

Padawan
spoons said:
Peter said:
[

Hi Peter, the thing is the demand isn't massive. These sellers shift a few books now and then but it wont make or break them depending on how many shift. If John had printed a second run he'd still be sitting on most of them.

To be honest i don't have a clue about publishing. I thought an author wrote a book and a publisher done the rest. I did not know it was all done by John. I feel for the guy i really do. I wasn't trying to open a can of worms here, i just wondered why i could not buy this book at a reasonable price.

spoons

Grand Master
Peter said:
To be honest i don't have a clue about publishing. I thought an author wrote a book and a publisher done the rest. I did not know it was all done by John. I feel for the guy i really do. I wasn't trying to open a can of worms here, i just wondered why i could not buy this book at a reasonable price.

Publishing houses would be the same really, they wouldn't bother doing another reprint just to shift 100 or so copies as it works out too expensive. If you go on RS the matrices are all available as a download

It is bad about the booksellers huge mark up but it's just business - there will be some floating about in real bookshops if you keep your eyes peeled. Grant found a few a while back at cover price.

JohnA

Padawan
Peter said:
Yeah ok no need to get funny about it. I don't know the fella i was only asking a question. Thank god you have got all the answers. Any chance you could answer my other question??

Peter,

I wasn't trying to be funny. He's a friend of mine and I know him since before he even published it. I met him years back when he was still writing it. I was just giving you his side, which you obviously didn't know about. I just hate to see people comment about stuff like you did without knowing all the details and when it's a friend I do take it to heart. Many times people are quick to comment but don't give credit for all he did. This was a labor of love and has become one of the hobby bible's for carded figure collecting. All I was saying was people need to see his side.

I wish I could help everybody find one for a good price. As mentioned, some sellers bought up stock when he was running low and just put them out one at a time. Watch the forums on Rebelscum. Sometimes people offer their copies up fairly cheap from time to time. Good luck finding it. It's a great book.

John

Grant

Sith Lord
Last year I managed to come across 3 copies of this great book at a local Toy/comic store in my town for £30 each. With some research im sure there will be other copies out there at good prices. Just to reiterate what JohnA said, This is a great book and if you have interest in carded figures or proofs etc then this IS THE book for you. Out of all the collectors books I own this is the best one.

Peace

Grant. :D

plantman

Sith Lord
I dont think we can blame people for selling the books at high prices,

Look at what we pay for a once bargain bucket $2 figure nowadays, at the end of the day high quality stuff starts to demand high prices, and the book is probably the best you can get. :)

Peter

Padawan
Peter,

I wasn't trying to be funny. He's a friend of mine and I know him since before he even published it. I met him years back when he was still writing it. I was just giving you his side, which you obviously didn't know about. I just hate to see people comment about stuff like you did without knowing all the details and when it's a friend I do take it to heart. Many times people are quick to comment but don't give credit for all he did. This was a labor of love and has become one of the hobby bible's for carded figure collecting. All I was saying was people need to see his side.

I wish I could help everybody find one for a good price. As mentioned, some sellers bought up stock when he was running low and just put them out one at a time. Watch the forums on Rebelscum. Sometimes people offer their copies up fairly cheap from time to time. Good luck finding it. It's a great book.

John[/quote]

John

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry if my original post offended you in any way. You are quite right i did not know all the facts and i apologise if my post came across badly it was not meant too..

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
I originally thought the same as Peter & had no idea that Mr Kellerman published his book entirely on his own at his own expense so thanks John for explaining the situation! :D

Its just a shame that others are reaping the financial rewards now rather than the author himself but i'm sure Mr Kellerman is undoubtedly proud that all his hard work & effort in creating his book has paid off & that it is now regarded as THE bible in MOC collecting & i'm pretty sure he is more happy with the knowledge that something he created is so universally respected than have a big pile of cash! :D

Mark.

P.S.I don't have this book yet & as i'm a MIB vehicle/playset collector,does the book have vehicles,playsets etc or is it just for action figures,proofs etc? :?

Joe

Grand Master
I am still looking for the book at a price I am happy to pay but have only got myself to blame for not picking it up the first time round.

If anyone comes across a shop like Grant did and its cost price or a little higher (but not ebay prices) then please put my name down for one!

Grant

Sith Lord
Mantooth36 said:
I originally thought the same as Peter & had no idea that Mr Kellerman published his book entirely on his own at his own expense so thanks John for explaining the situation! :D

Its just a shame that others are reaping the financial rewards now rather than the author himself but i'm sure Mr Kellerman is undoubtedly proud that all his hard work & effort in creating his book has paid off & that it is now regarded as THE bible in MOC collecting & i'm pretty sure he is more happy with the knowledge that something he created is so universally respected than have a big pile of cash! :D

Mark.

P.S.I don't have this book yet & as i'm a MIB vehicle/playset collector,does the book have vehicles,playsets etc or is it just for action figures,proofs etc? :?

Mate Its more about carded figures and cardbacks and proofs than playsets and vehicles.

Thank you

Grant.

plantman

Sith Lord
To get one now people are paying top prices, so the knock on effect is, if they sell it they want to at least make their money back.

let me see if i can put it through our scanner and pdf any parts you might want?

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mate Its more about carded figures and cardbacks and proofs than playsets and vehicles.

Thank you

Grant.[/quote]

Cheers Grant,i didn't think it contained playsets & vehicles! :(

Mark.

burnsy

Sith Lord
Bollux said:
I would love the book and wish I had taken Grant up on his offer last year ! :cry:

I was one of the lucky ones to get a copy from Grant last year which I will always
be eternally grateful for as I got it for the published price (Thanks fella 8) )

It is a great book and it's a joy to look through even if you don't collect carded figures.

Can't recommend getting a copy enough.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom