The Phantom Menace in 3D 9/2/12 -Anybody gonna watch it?

lee gray

Sith Lord
I saw it yesterday and couldnt believe how unnoticeable the 3D was, I was lifting up my glasses at certain points and it looked exactly the same, if you are going to see things coming out the screen you will be disappointed as it rarely happened, for most part it was just the background that looked on a different level and then only just.

If it had been filmed in 3D then it would have been good I think but adding it on like this really made no difference...still fun at times though.

plantman

Sith Lord
lee gray said:
I saw it yesterday and couldnt believe how unnoticeable the 3D was, I was lifting up my glasses at certain points and it looked exactly the same, if you are going to see things coming out the screen you will be disappointed as it rarely happened, for most part it was just the background that looked on a different level and then only just.

If it had been filmed in 3D then it would have been good I think but adding it on like this really made no difference...still fun at times though.

This is exactly what i mean, they are proper screwing people out of extra monney for sod all.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
As much as I don't enjoy the prequels on any level a little bit of me hopes they succeed if only as an excuse to see the original trilogy at the cinema again.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
plantman said:
lee gray said:

This is exactly what i mean, they are proper screwing people out of extra monney for sod all.

I'm with Andy on this one.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
BlueDog said:
As much as I don't enjoy the prequels on any level a little bit of me hopes they succeed if only as an excuse to see the original trilogy at the cinema again.
and those would be the only ones I am going to go see for that exact reason....hell my first time watching episode 2 in the theatre ....I almost fell asleep....my kids included. :D

plantman

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
BlueDog said:
and those would be the only ones I am going to go see for that exact reason....hell my first time watching episode 2 in the theatre ....I almost fell asleep....my kids included. :D

I honestly cant fully remember any of 1,2,3 i found them all shite.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Like it or not- they've put a load of work into it.

Watching The Phantom Edit 1.1 with comentary for the 1st time.

Wow- u have to admit he's done a great job. I've always believed theres a good star wars film hidden in this film. We'll never have it but The Phantom Edit blunts alot of the daggers.

Jez

Sith Lord
I watched it last night with my son;

I went expecting to be disappointed because of the previous threads (and the fact that i've already seen it in 2d!). In places i was actually pleasantly surprised.
Much like the 3D film Avatar, viewers shouldn't go there expecting the 3D effects to come out of the screen towards the audience. The screen seemed to have a great deal more depth, with characters and scenery cleverly levelled.
You could call it subtle 3D.
The more obvious effects were characters such as the Battle Droids, which really stood out. This worked as Lucas was clearly able to completely reshoot some of his CGI stuff in 3D, this makes me concerned though, that the original Trilogy which doesn't rely on CGI will have loads more tinkering or will be a damp squib.
Whilst at times i was impressed with the 3D efffects (often catching myself looking under my glasses to see how fuzzy things were without them, fairly fuzzy). I did find that at times the images were moving so fast that my eyes couldn't focus in time and a percentage of the background images were often blurred.
I was sat in the middle of the cinema ( which was at 1/4 capacity at 6.pm) and my eyes sight is 20/20.

Overall, an enjoyable experience.
Being sat next to my son (Dressed as Obi Wan), when John Williams and his crew did their thing and the credits went up was a memory for me to cherish. I asked him what his favourite part was, his answer....?
...All of it Dad!
I'm happy i went.

timbo72

Sith Lord
Im also in two minds on this, i didnt really enjoy TPM apart from the duel with Darth Maul. The other thing is these films were not made with 3d in mind, it's just been added in like a cheap after thought to milk some more cash !!!!

Last thought, just give me the original trilogy with no added extra effects as this also takes away from the films i went to see as a kid

God i sound old and bitter.......Rant over :D

Paul-itoy

Jedi Knight
CharlieCharlie has it nailed. None of the 3D was projected out of the screen. All they have managed to do is add depth. It is also very noticable that the original CGI stuff is better than the original live action. A lot of the backgrounds are now blurred to add focus on the foreground. It's all OK, but by no means brilliant. And at £19.30 for one adult, one child and two pairs of specs the only other one i'll probably bother with is EPIV. My sons first big screen Star Wars movie though, so he was happy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom