Today on Facebook...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
$550 for a trilogo Han Carbonite, from the seller everybody loves publicly thanking for letting them buy his stuff.

Hahahahahaha

xbomber

Padawan
peekaygee73 said:
There's a facebook group called 'Plastic crack'?! Am I the only who one hates that phrase?
Hate it with a passion. They've had t shirts made up now proudly proclaiming it. Find it distasteful personally.

plantainman

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
Another variant rant. Just saw a post where somebody is asking why his "family 2" Han Bespin has a different head sculpt from another family 2 Han he has.

BECAUSE IT'S ALL MADE UP BULLSHIT! :lol:

Edd, Surely you're in danger here of insinuating stuff like Psybertech's Leia bespin mould research, General Khan's Luke Bespin mould research or Eddie-Dan Gerous' DSC analysis is a load of tosh. Yes, they are 'niche', But that's kind of the point I think & they are very valuable, in-depth guides.

If the guy asking about the Han Bespin head got further intrigued by the responses he gets from his original inquiry and went on to produce an in depth analysis of that one figures moulds and produced a detailed limelight, Then surely that could only be a good thing for the hobby?

There's a place in the hobby for everyone (Well, Everyone who isn't an obvious tit/scammer :lol: ), Beit high end collecting of rare cardbacks or just plain old army building of beaters.

A lot of FB posts annoy me too, But a question about different head moulds appearing on the same family COO is the kind of question I asked on forums 5/6 years ago, and the replies and answers generated in the thread proved invaluable for me. Look back through the forums and you can see experienced SW collectors asking each other the same things well over a decade ago.

I would never want to see someone on FB stopped from talking about mould differences or whatever, I'd just rather see the same question asked on a forum where the information and findings would remain.

I guess I'm in the 'other corner' on this one, so I'm merely airing an alternative viewpoint to the original point. :D

Neil

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
plantainman said:
Edd, Surely you're in danger here of insinuating stuff like Psybertech's Leia bespin mould research, General Khan's Luke Bespin mould research or Eddie-Dan Gerous' DSC analysis is a load of tosh.

Yes that's basically what I'm saying. In fact Psybertech himself says it on his own website:

Since many things can happen during manufacture, there are too many possible minor variations that I could never fully document all of them without having seen hundreds to thousands of examples in my hand.

These are incredibly minor differences that occurred throughout the manufacturing process. None of them were intentional. Nobody at Kenner called them "family groups." This is all nonsense collectors have made up themselves in the last few years as a way of selling £2 beater figures for piles of cash to gullible variant collectors.

I can give you plenty of examples - why do some "PBP" figures show up on Palitoy cards? Because they are not PBP figures, that's why!

It's the equivalent of somebody coming up to me in my job as a web developer and asking "can you move that box 2 pixels higher" and then people analysing it 30 years later. It just happened, no need to write a book about it :)

plantainman

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
I can give you plenty of examples - why do some "PBP" figures show up on Palitoy cards? Because they are not PBP figures, that's why!

There are PBP exclusive figures which only appeared on PBP cards, then there are others that were produced by PBP then distributed to other companies to repackage, e.g. Palitoy, as well as appearing on PBP cards. Either way though, They are still a PBP figure, as that is who produced them.

edd_jedi said:
These are incredibly minor differences that occurred throughout the manufacturing process. None of them were intentional. Nobody at Kenner called them "family groups." This is all nonsense collectors have made up themselves in the last few years as a way of selling £2 beater figures for piles of cash to gullible variant collectors.

I prefer Eddie-Dan Gerous' description of it, As "pretty high level geekery". :D

I disagree people do research into mould families and COO variants for financial gain, I genuinely have the belief it is done for the love of collecting. Perhaps that's too innocent of a view to have, but then that would be more fool me anyway.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
You're right that the people doing the research (or making this stuff up) are not doing it for their own gain, but sadly it is being turned into an excuse to extort money. Example - PBP Luke Bespin as people call it (the one that was on Palitoy Jedi cards.) Toy Toni has hundreds of these and was selling them for £10-15 each for decades. As soon as he found out morons on Facebook are calling them PBP figures, now he's charing £50 for them!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Show me a signed Kenner blueprint highlighting sculpt/COO changes like you see for other things (box designs etc) and I'll start to take them a little more seriously. But the fact is I know they don't exist and probably never did because quite frankly nobody cared.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Oh come on. Very good condition? It has NO accessories, most of the stickers are missing and it's yellowing! Sold in a couple of minutes :roll:

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 16.00.09.png

newswseller

Padawan
I must be doing something wrong, as i can't get anybody to buy my stuff on facebook? couldnt even sell a decent yak face for £150, had to sell it on ebay :?

lejackal

Grand Master
So basically never sell a MOC to any of the members, helpfully there is a list that's public.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170319_0001 (2).png
    wp_ss_20170319_0001 (2).png
    127.2 KB · Views: 204

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
holy **** , am i reading that correctly that the AFA are opening mocs and other sealed products to give them a U grade and stick them in an acrylic case :?:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
CaptainAntilles said:
holy **** , am i reading that correctly that the AFA are opening mocs and other sealed products to give them a U grade and stick them in an acrylic case :?:

That's about it, ridiculous and shockingly damaging to the hobby

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
Michael Sith said:
CaptainAntilles said:

That's about it, ridiculous and shockingly damaging to the hobby

shocking that the AFA are involved in these practices TBH

Latest posts

Top Bottom