Trash Monster! Figure or novelty?!?!

Fonzy82

Youngling
Hi Folks,

While working my way through collecting the original 96 figure line (not there just yet)!

I've picked up a few figures that aren't considered part of the 96 like the max rebo band, jabba/salacious crumb & the probot.

I've recently grabbed a loose trash monster…and it got me wondering is he considered part of the run or an unusual oddity?

Plus is your opinions is there a definitive number of the original full run? As some people include R2 from the Droid factor and Han in Carbonite that came with original Slave 1 on the list?

Odd the things that pop in your head on a Thursday Afternoon haha

Cheers

Dad of Luke

Padawan
Your run can include whatever you want it to include. It's all just fun.

If I was trying to complete that run I rather think I'd be like you and wanting to also include stuff like the Droid Factory R2 and Max Rebo band etc, because I'm a completist.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Firstly, hello!

There are as many figures in a full run as you want there to be ;). I'm a variant collector, and so I personally do count both the Dianoga (aka trash compactor monster) and both 3-legged R2-D2 figures (the Palitoy playset version has a different sticker to the Kenner playset version), but then again, I also count any other visually different variant I can get my hands on. Also, is Jabba a figure? I count him as one, but I don't count the taun-tauns, which some other people do. A 'full run' is a bit of a joke term to me really, given that no-one can agree on what constitutes one, so my advice would be to count (and collect) whatever you personally wish to :).

If it gives you any inspiration, here's my main loose run (in the end, I decided to display 2 variants of each figure for which there are at least 2 visually different variants as a fun way of doing things a bit differently):

Jeremy

Hod10

Padawan
My theory is if they have peg holes then they are an action figure. Anything else is an accessory or a creature or whatever.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Good question…personally I don't count it as a figure, but then again I've got one…
It doesn't matter, collect what makes you happy and sod everyone else…😏

lejackal

Grand Master
200.gif

Every Fx-7 focus collector

Gadders

Padawan
Firstly, hello!

There are as many figures in a full run as you want there to be ;). I'm a variant collector, and so I personally do count both the Dianoga (aka trash compactor monster) and both 3-legged R2-D2 figures (the Palitoy playset version has a different sticker to the Kenner playset version), but then again, I also count any other visually different variant I can get my hands on. Also, is Jabba a figure? I count him as one, but I don't count the taun-tauns, which some other people do. A 'full run' is a bit of a joke term to me really, given that no-one can agree on what constitutes one, so my advice would be to count (and collect) whatever you personally wish to :).

If it gives you any inspiration, here's my main loose run (in the end, I decided to display 2 variants of each figure for which there are at least 2 visually different variants as a fun way of doing things a bit differently):

Jeremy
Wow! Thats a great set of figures, Jeremy. I've been playing the "spot the difference" between each pair of figures :) some are more obvious than others.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Wow! Thats a great set of figures, Jeremy. I've been playing the "spot the difference" between each pair of figures :) some are more obvious than others.
Thank you very much. Yes, some differences are harder to spot than others, but they are there, I promise you! (apart from the Luke Stormtrooper, which is just a different COO until I finally track down a lighter haired version). However, those photos are also slightly out of date as I have managed to get a few better variants since taking them that have increased the visual differences between a few more of the figures shown. I'll have to update the thread with new photos at some stage.

Fonzy82

Youngling
I think its easy to become a completist collecting the original line, its like a bug. There just so well designed and each figure is so unique.

I originally planned to only get the 10ish figures i had as a child, as He-man was king when i grew up.

Then you think i'll just add maybe the ones i like the look of like fett, snowtrooper, yak…then next thing you have half the original run and you think either i stop now or go all in haha.

Thats a really nice collection with all the variants. I like the idea of variants but its so expensive getting just to where i am now. I wish i'd started 10 years ago when it was cheaper.

Gadders

Padawan
Just collect what you like, but don't feel like you have to have a complete run (however you define complete).
I've got 95 out of the 96 MOC now, just missing Yak. Took me a while, but I'm now content with what i have and whilst it would be nice to get a Yak, it doesn't really matter to me if I get one or not. (wish I'd picked one up in the mid 90s when i was collecting, same for a VCJ - hindsight is a wonderful thing)

poncho

Grand Master
My theory is if they have peg holes then they are an action figure. Anything else is an accessory or a creature or whatev h

My theory is if they have peg holes then they are an action figure. Anything else is an accessory or a creature or whatever.
Fx7 has no holes! But he still sits on a display stand in my collection lol

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I wouldn't say he's considered part of the figure "run" but still a cool part of the line. I sold mine a while back because I had no love for it. I think the 96 thing comes from the figures released individually on cards. Rebo band, blue Snag etc we're not but they are still figures much like the others (to me). When you think that three different versions of R2 are thought of as three different figures in the line but different versions of other figures like cloth and vinyl Jawa are not it's all down to interpretation really..! I collect major variants in my loose run, I think there's 124 and counting altogether.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom