unluckiest HMV voucher/gift card purchase on ebay?

Joe

Grand Master
I just came here to post about blockbusters after reading that prediction! Jeez :( Not good at all.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Got an email from Argos just now with a very worrying subject line!

"1000s more prices reduced - Hurry, when it's gone, it's gone"

:eek:

Jason

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Blockbusters went bust last year in USA so it was on the cards.

It's mad to think that 12 years ago places like jessops, HMV, Kodak etc would have been worth getting shares in.

Markets change to fast these days.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
itfciain said:
fuzzybuzzytoys said:
My money is on Blockbusters ... who on earht goes there these days with Love Fil, NetFlix and cheap dvds killing them stone dead surely

100% agree - think they have done well to get this far to be honest - I think it's only the games rentals that is keeping them in business

Another one sure to go soon is Little Chef - never see anyone stopped outside these anymore

We popped into a Little Chef on the way to you when we were on holiday and it was packed. Some of them have had make overs recently and are actually a hell of a lot better than they used to be. Some have not been touched since the 80's so are dieing a slow death.

Not surprised Blockbusters is next, as Jamie said Lovefilm and Netflix has killed there customer base. Before long there will be no high street, just housing, supermarkets and the internet.

theslider

Sith Lord
I think Argos will be safe - for a while anyway; they've just posted good profits for the last quarter. Eventually I can see them become more an online store with collection points out of towns.

WHSmiths is the one I fear for next, I get all my stationary from the one in the Arndale in Manchester and it's like a ghost town most of the time.

HMV were just badly managed IMO; they needed more focus on what they were best at - music - and not trying to sell MP3 players and headphones which have smaller margains anyway. If they'd stuck to their core business AND got into downloading/streaming in 2007 they'd be in rude health.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
theslider said:
I think Argos will be safe - for a while anyway; they've just posted good profits for the last quarter. Eventually I can see them become more an online store with collection points out of towns.

WHSmiths is the one I fear for next, I get all my stationary from the one in the Arndale in Manchester and it's like a ghost town most of the time.

HMV were just badly managed IMO; they needed more focus on what they were best at - music - and not trying to sell MP3 players and headphones which have smaller margains anyway. If they'd stuck to their core business AND got into downloading/streaming in 2007 they'd be in rude health.

Argos always seems to be busy, they have been and still are slightly different to most high street shops

TBH I'm surprised WH Smiths is still trading - very expensive and you can get everything cheaper elsewhere. There is one in a small market town near to me how it keeps going I don't know??? - although I think it might be due to the fact that there is no competition in 15-20 mile radius, but the ones in town/city centres with high rates etc surely must be struggling

PGowdy

Grand Master
Yeah i must say i don't get why people are suggesting Argos. Seems like the sort of place that will thrive in this kind of economy. Argos sells things people want at reasonable prices. HMV and Blockbuster sell things that no one is buying anymore. Not from shops anyway. I'm shocked they've lasted as long as they have.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Argos have a pile of cash a good online strategy so won't be going under any time soon:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2013/jan/17/cash-pile-time-reinvent-argos

WHSmiths have already adapted. The CD's and DVDs are already gone and they stock mostly goods that aren't bought online or downloaded electronically these days:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/damianreece/9802108/HMV-failed-because-innovators-succeeded.html

Jason

Richard_H

Grand Master
WhSmiths will survive through airports and train stations. May disappear from high streets. Morrisons is my big shout!
And I think tesco will buy a town, like MK and it will be the first supermarket owned town

PGowdy

Grand Master
Wow, did not see that coming.

Better jump on this one then...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-One-Pound-Gift-Voucher-Note-/150983199261?pt=UK_Tickets_Trave_Vouchers_Coupons_LE&hash=item23274cca1d

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom