Vintage Star Wars compulsion, please help!

Rimmer

Padawan
captainhancock said:
Thanks for the support/enablement. So 4 Lom arrived today. I was putting his coat on correctly when there was a knock at the door. For a moment I froze in genuine panic, I'm a grown man dressing an action figure in a little coat! I decided to shove him under the table cloth before answering!

:mrgreen:

captainhancock

Padawan
I'm not 100% sure how to use the forum yet so forgive me if I don't use the quote function yet. I'll have a look at the terminology, moc etc. that's a good place to start so thanks.

After scanning the forum I'm bummed that the whole fake/reproduction weapons and so on is a real issue. I now regret eating so many blasters as a child. I recall the At-At drivers rifle was particularly tasty.

x-pack

Grand Master
We've all been there. I dropped and Imp Stormy rifle down a crack in the floor boards. The building became derelict and I planned to rescue the gun but unfortunately the place was demolished before I had chance :x

My wife has an idea that the collection is worth a lot, so none of you lot will be buying it for a hundred quid! :wink: She doesn't put two and two together though when I say for example, 'blue snag ..only a fiver' :lol:

x-pack

Grand Master
Bramistuta25 said:
It does crack me up how you guys never tell your other halves exactly what your collection is worth... Unfortunately when you pass on you'd better leave a detailed will or they will be selling it to me for £150!

:lol: ...I'll be haunting you if that happens. It'll be like Poltergeist :x

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Yep I also chewed many guns and figures as a child.

I thought I had a rare 'variant' sand person until i realised i'd just chewed a couple of his horns off.

Perhaps you could start a new thread: what was your favourite star wars items to chew!

IMAG0287_zps529ab3cd.jpg

captainhancock said:
After scanning the forum I'm bummed that the whole fake/reproduction weapons and so on is a real issue. I now regret eating so many blasters as a child. I recall the At-At drivers rifle was particularly tasty.

captainhancock

Padawan
That's funny as hell :D

I remember that most weapons were kind of soft with a satisfyingly chewable quality.

I could offer my services in order to authenticate weapons. Simply send them to me, I'll do a taste test and send em back. I'll swallow any repros to keep them off the market.

walkie

Sith Lord
Bramistuta25 said:
It does crack me up how you guys never tell your other halves exactly what your collection is worth... Unfortunately when you pass on you'd better leave a detailed will or they will be selling it to me for £150!

I tell the wife exactly what its worth, its my money anyway.

I like having my balls intact so i'll go down the detailed will route ;)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
captainhancock said:
That's funny as hell :D

I remember that most weapons were kind of soft with a satisfyingly chewable quality.

I could offer my services in order to authenticate weapons. Simply send them to me, I'll do a taste test and send em back. I'll swallow any repros to keep them off the market.

This is going to sound absolute nuts but I find my teeth are the most reliable way I have of detecting repro weapons. I can tell what sort of plastic it is made of by the feel between my teeth. I haven't yet perfected a way of doing this test at toy fairs and other such events yet though.

Dantooine

Padawan
I'm kind of in the same boat as captainhancock.

I've had a loose figure collection and a few vehicles that I've managed to hold onto through the years. In the summer I broke an ESB glass that I'd had since the early 80's and decided to try and track one down on ebay... That was the start.

So in the last few months I've bought a remote controlled Sandcrawler, boxed Dewback, boxed Landspeeder... And a white Tie Fighter... I must stop but I can't

Part of the reason is that I have some cash at the moment and I was surprised and how cheap certain things were. I'm not a serious collector either, I just want the things I had as a kid, and maybe a couple of things I dreamed of having. The fact that these toys are worth money doesn't matter to me, I'm just after the visual gold that these things bring.

Hanging around this forum isn't the way to kick the habit!

captainhancock

Padawan
I guess everyone starts somewhere. I started with buying a gift. Then repairing my old speeder bike. Then I had to buy a Biker scout. I mean what's the point of a speeder bike with out a rider. Then thinking it would be cool to have to figures I had as a kid. Then, well I've got two bounty hunters I should probably get all the bounty hunters...I'd love to get some moc but that's some hardcore ****. But it would be cool to have one, yeah just one, or maybe two..

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
captainhancock said:
I guess everyone starts somewhere. I started with buying a gift. Then repairing my old speeder bike. Then I had to buy a Biker scout. I mean what's the point of a speeder bike with out a rider. Then thinking it would be cool to have to figures I had as a kid. Then, well I've got two bounty hunters I should probably get all the bounty hunters...I'd love to get some moc but that's some hardcore ****. But it would be cool to have one, yeah just one, or maybe two..

That sounds like a plan mate. Look forward to watching your collection grow :)

Rimmer

Padawan
captainhancock said:

My compulsion started a few months ago after buying my 6 year old a vintage millenium falcon off ebay for his birthday. When it turned up and i opened the packaging it was like opening Pandora's box - my life has not been the same since. So my son never got this falcon as I kept it for myself! he got a POTF2 one instead. A mixture of childhood nostalgia and love of Star Wars is a powerful thing!

2 months later I now have a collection of 80 odd loose figures and vehicles galore. I can't stop! Need to pace myself more but temptation is everywhere....

captainhancock

Padawan
It's a bit like Pringles. Once you pop you can't stop.

I can see it now, sorry son don't touch, that's Daddy's Falcon. Here, this is yours, the crap.. I mean the newer one. Now hand me those Hydro-spanners.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Welcome to the dark side mate :lol: Yes this is how it starts and it will end with you get a star wars room :wink:

rebel_scum

Padawan
I am worst case collector. I pretty much pick up anything. On a plus side I buy joblots and flip the bits I am not interested in. Think I am only down £200 and have a great collection of new and old. Just need the time to sort and display now....

captainhancock

Padawan
I'm now in way too deep to turn back. I've bought a tooth brush not for cleaning teeth but for cleaning loose figures. Well that's Sunday afternoon sorted, it's bath time for Chewie.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom