What are your thoughts on custom figures?

ROTF7784

Padawan
My interest in my collection was recently revived when I gave my old vintage collection to my 5yr old (about 95% of the original run of figures including some POTF) and a bunch of ships, creatures and playstations.

I've since come across the custom market and some of them look excellent, especially the Stan Solo stuff (bantha, Oohla, Slave Leia, Garinden, and hard to find originals), but I've also seen some dodgy looking stuff too.

What do other vintage collectors think of the custom figures, happy to have them stand side by side with the vintage collection or hardline vintage only?

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I really like them, but I refuse to put money into the hands of sellers who also produce reproductions of the original Kenner figures and accessories, Stan Solo being one. Reproductions are one of the biggest problems in our hobby as they can easily be passed off fraudulently as the real thing.

I'd like to know if there are any customisers out there who are not associated with the repro peddlers, as I'd be much more inclined to buy from them.

ROTF7784

Padawan
I really like them, but I refuse to put money into the hands of sellers who also produce reproductions of the original Kenner figures and accessories, Stan Solo being one. Reproductions are one of the biggest problems in our hobby as they can easily be passed off fraudulently as the real thing.

I'd like to know if there are any customisers out there who are not associated with the repro peddlers, as I'd be much more inclined to buy from them.
That's a good point, I saw his reproductions on line and they look like perfect copies. To be fair, he puts SS on the back legs so people know they're repros. If you're a new collector and really want a Yak Face or EV-9D9, then as long as the figure is branded a repro like his are, or isn't copying the original logo branding, I think it's providing a good service.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Can of worms...
Even if they are marked, they can and are still used to fool people. The SS is easily removed. I love the unproduced stuff, but would never buy from him. Isn't he also the same guy who was done for counterfeit football shirts?

ROTF7784

Padawan
Can of worms...
Even if they are marked, they can and are still used to fool people. The SS is easily removed. I love the unproduced stuff, but would never buy from him. Isn't he also the same guy who was done for counterfeit football shirts?
I don't know anything about personally, just saw a lot of his creations on instagram. Have seen good reviews of his bantha and bad reviews of someone else's version that looks terrible.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I appreciate them as works of art, and Kenner made some glaring ommissions from the original line. But for me nostalgia is important to collecting, and I obviously have no nostalgic attachment to customs. So I see them like the prequel or sequel films, part of the wider 'galaxy' but not my main interest.

Commander Clint

Padawan
There are some other great customizers out there. Mostly on FB these days.
Like ToyWeaver & Outer Rim Creations.
I also like making my own Original Trilogy customs. It's been a great past time over the years, especially thru the pandemic. Trading with other customizers and friends, making stuff to hand out at Celebrations as swag, etc........

edit. here are a few of the customs that I have in my collection. I made most of them and traded with some friends. Bought a couple pieces and a few 3D printed pieces that you have to paint yourself thrown in.

Attachments

• IMG_8601.JPG
    IMG_8601.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

ROTF7784

Padawan
There are some other great customizers out there. Mostly on FB these days.
Like ToyWeaver & Outer Rim Creations.
I also like making my own Original Trilogy customs. It's been a great past time over the years, especially thru the pandemic. Trading with other customizers and friends, making stuff to hand out at Celebrations as swag, etc........
Thanks for the heads up on the other customerizers, I'll check out their work. I never really thought about it before but I wonder how Kenner chose which characters to make into figures? They certainly made some odd choices in terms of who they omitted compared to some of the ones they made.

UKS

Jedi Knight
Customs do nothing for me, as it's all about the nostalgia. I am not a fan of the repro's as even though WE know the difference, a new collector does not.

Gadders

Padawan
I don't see the appeal of repros at all. Really annoys me when i see someone say they cant afford a real yak face then spend just as much money as a real Yak buying repro yak, repro blue snag, and more.. just save and take your time to get the genuine items. it'll be more rewarding in the long term.

As for customs of figures that werent made - these dont appeal either as its all about nostalgia for me.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree with most of the sentiments above. I can appreciate good customs as works of art and as 'what ifs' as far as Kenner is concerned, however I've never really been tempted to buy any as they aren't vintage originals. If I'd made a custom myself (as I have occasionally done in the modern line), then I'm sure I'd be more fond of that particular one, but with no nostalgic pull toward owning other people's 'vintage' customs, I'm unlikely to buy any, no matter how nice they are.

However, making perfect repros of vintage figures like Yak Face and Luke Stormtrooper is a whole other matter, and I definitely don't approve of those.

ROTF7784

Padawan
Does anyone know if the old Kenner molds stick exist? I collect vinyl and the reissue market is huge, I've never understood why someone doesn't reissue the original line of figures and ships.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Does anyone know if the old Kenner molds stick exist? I collect vinyl and the reissue market is huge, I've never understood why someone doesn't reissue the original line of figures and ships.
I believe some of them still exist but most are at the bottom of Hong Kong harbour.

There are plenty of documented bootleg moulds still out there but as with all things like this, they will be locked up in collections and very unlikely to come onto the market and certainly not for the purpose of creating repros

GreenYodaBrownSnake

TheNext17.com does factory made vintage style but only from new, original sculpts:

Untitled.jpg

00 just all-edges.jpg

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Oh - there is some nice stuff there :)

For me as long as the items aren't pretending to be something they are not, then they are great and a lot of fun can be had - I have the same debate with Lego - not a fan of knock off brands - but if the custom thing is filling a gap or providing something unique and is 100% honest about what it is - then go for it.

I've used this guy quite a few times for some nice custom card backs: https://www.cardback-customs.de/home-en/

Very good quality.

Mosh

Padawan
I find this to be an interesting subject. The custom figures (if adequately done) have the same look but your mind comes into action and tends to build a wall which states that they are not the real deal. Even if you compare them to a figure you did not have as a child. I have a similar issue when I started buying Kenner/Lilí Ledy figures over the last decades. Yes, they were "real" but my imagination put some slightly negative aura to them because I did not play with them as a kid. It is fascinating how the mind process works, creating a difference which is physically invisible (I reckon it happens all the time), but this particular collecting issue leaves me scratching my head. HEY, BRAIN: LET ME ENJOY EVERYTHING EQUALLY, YOU NERD.

Latest posts

Top Bottom