which "blue harvest" figures have been discovered to date?

gustie

Sith Lord
carbalon copys are green figures with metal pins that hold the limbs on

(generally green)

carbalon is like a harsh resin

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
gustie said:
carbalon copys are green figures with metal pins that hold the limbs on

(generally green)

carbalon is like a harsh resin

green resin hmmm ,think were going down different path now :oops: :lol: :wink:

gustie

Sith Lord
i looked up carbalon....

WTF!

A molded, non-refractory metal article is made by molding in a flexible mold a plastic mixture of non-refractory, spherical metal powders and a heat-fugitive binder comprising thermoplastic material to form a green article of predetermined shape and dimensions, heating the green article to remove said binder and consolidate the non-refractory spherical powders in the form of a porous, monolithic skeleton of necked particles of non-refractory metal, infiltrating the skeleton with a molten metal having a melting point that is at least 25.degree. C. less than the melting point of the lowest melting of said spherical, non-refractory metal particles, and cooling the infiltrated skeleton thereby forming a homogeneous, void-free, non-refractory metal article of two intermeshed metal matrices.

wampa

Padawan
I havent got any, but there was a blue harvest tig fromm for sale in the classified section on RS, it is AFA graded, there is a carbalon Luke bespin also up for grabs and Karlph had a really lovely painted hardcopy CCP for sale a while ago,
i think the BH figures initially appeared when Hasbro took over the license or when SW figure production began again and someone got their hands on the original Kenner steel molds, but the figures were questioned eventualy because of the colour, Kenner made no hardcopies in blue, that was a modern colour, i think thats how the story goes.

David Tree

Jedi Master
The Tigg is a beauty, it's actaully an alternative sculpt with non jointed legs.

In a nutshell, the material used for Blue Harvests had not been developed at the time of the vintage line's design and production. The material was used in the prototype process in the early 90's. Initially it was thought that they were from the original production, but later found to be more test pieces for the material.

They are very cool and like the Tigg, offer a glimpse at other variants/ alternatives from the actual production version. The Micro line in particular had a lot of unproduced pieces produced as Blue Harvests.

Dave.

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
check this link out on RS Watch Out section about the blue harvest figures which are basically 1990s knock offs

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3329099&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#Post3331261#3329099

David Tree

Jedi Master
jaymassive619 said:
check this link out on RS Watch Out section about the blue harvest figures which are basically 1990s knock offs

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3329099&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#Post3331261#3329099

Anyone not read my post above? :wink:

They are not knock offs, as they material used is not freely available.

Knock-offs are recasts of the Blue Harvests, which is using a resin and shows airbubbles as the kit used was not able to cast them in a vacuum to suck the air out for which you'd need for hardcopies.

I'll take a picture later to show the differences between the two.

Dave.

David Tree

Jedi Master
Ok, *hopefully* this might help:

3 examples, 3PO, R2 & a Yoda. two are production material, one is a custom cast, can you guess which one?

SW106.jpg

The C-3PO is a Hardcopy Prototype from the Action Masters line, which was worked on around a similar time as the Blue Harvests started to appear on the market.
This is an actual prototype production piece.

SW105.jpg

The R2 is a Blue Harvest. It is a cast in production materials used at Kenner, but from the vintage line using old molds.
The Yoda is a custom cast, mostly probably from a Blue Harvest. This is a totally different material and clearly shows airbubbles marking the surface. Both examples are from the unproduced Micro Collection Dagobah playset, but one is a cast from the original mold, the other is cast from the Blue Harvest cast.

SW114.jpg

Although Blue Harvests are not prototypes from the production process of pieces at the time they were createed, they are cast from the production or test molds. Blue Harvests of production pieces in most cases are 1:1 blue examples of the final piece, however, as mentioned before and seen above, there were also a number of unproduced examples created, which are either at different scale, different sculpt or unreleased, which offer a tiny glimpse of the production process to create something.

Hope that helps.
Dave.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Quite interesting.
Scary how many different aspects to collecting and options for focus's/foci there are!

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
I know where your coming from Dave. But the fact is the very original blue harvest figures were produced in the 1990s long after the vintage line was over using the original vintage kenner molds so they are indeed copies and not genuine vintage era pieces at all.

David Tree

Jedi Master
I've never said they were part of the vintage era, but are pieces produced at a later date.

Molds were still in use at this point in time with Robin Hood and Bend Ems as the term vintage did not exist for a toy line that finished only 6/7 years ago.

The very fact they are called Blue Harvests is because they were acknowledeged as spoofs, not the original thing, but it's equally important to understand that production hardcopies were being created using the same material and methods for the current toylines at the time.

Dave.

wampa

Padawan
David Tree said:
gustie said:
what about normal articulated 3inch figs?

Other than Markus's Tigg, I only know of a couple of limbs that James Gallo has at the moment, arms/ legs and the like.

Dave.

Doesnt Todd have a complete BH rebo band for sale at the moment on RS classified?

Bollux

Grand Master
you lazy ****er!

$1500 if you want it
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3343482&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#3343482

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom