Woolworths Memories...

Jester

Padawan
I don't remember any in Woolies either - though I did buy my battle beasts from there in 86/87.

I vividly remember the SW in Asda in 83/84 as I can recall begging my mum to let me buy a Chewie! I'm sure she said no :( I can also remember seeing my first R5D4 in a small toyshop behind the counter but not being allowed that either ha.

Those are probably my only 2 memories of SW in shops.

jayums

Jedi Master
A mate of mine's dad was a manager at Woolies and remember him saying once the store manager had quite a lot of say over what they stocked (probably not the best business strategy!). Perhaps this explains the apparent randomness in which stores stocked them?

My local debenhams stocked the more expensive stuff, but then later for ROTJ cards, Tesco was the place to go to buy Star Wars figures. The figure stand was right by the checkout tills and store design was such that you had to walk through the whole store to finally get to them .... I guess it was my reward for being dragged around a supermarket for an hour without causing a scene :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great thread, I remember getting a Luke Bespin from Tescos on a Jedi card and you got a free Prune Face with any figure. Only trouble was I already had Prune Face so I tried it with another figure, can't remember which one, the women at the till sent me back saying you can only choose Prune Face!

My Dad also tells me a story of Christmas Eve 86, he whent for his traditional last minute stocking filler shop at Woolworth's only to discover empty shelves. Then a shelf stacker comes along with a trolley full of 49p offer Star Wars stuff. My Dad happily filled his boots and I had a Christmas to remember.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
My Woolies had a tiny SW selection and I can't remember ever buying s figure there. I own a cardback or two with s Woolies sticker.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Leemcl said:
palitoyjunky said:
Funny u say u don't rem buying any figures from Woolies because I don't either :!: Yet my local Woolies was right nx to Tesco in Edmonton Green shopping centre and I have vivid memories of going upstairs in Tesco to where all the toys were and picking up SW regularly :D coincidently I also rem picking up some figures from House of Holland too. I only remember buying Lego from Woolies :?: :!:
House of Holland.....it was there, we used to go Saturday and then it was gone one day and the part of my brain that is stuck at 7 years old still wonders why it's gone ! Lol. they had so many Jedi figures back in the day I can even remember the stand with the figures on towards the back of store, oh for time travel.p...I'd go get a Luke Jedi Knight or 10 today !

Oh man ur talk of the figure stand takes me back :D
I am pretty sure my Jedi carded Luke Bespin came from there 8)

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
Australia has Woolworths as well, and they have a little toy section in most stores. However, the department store arm of Woolworths is a store called Big W and they always had a reasonably large toy centre. I actually have a POTF Anakin with a Big W price sticker on it $3.90. I wish I'd bought it back in the day for that.... :)

Cheers
Pat

Sabreman

Padawan
We used to have a huge Woolies on the high street in Chesterfield, I remember loads of Action Man, Action Force, He Man but little Star Wars. They used to have a big gaming section with all the 8 bit computers set up and an Atari VCS. I remember looking in the glass display cabinets in awe at all the cartridges. I really do feel privileged to have been a kid back then, toys were just better

Tickion

Padawan
Likewise, I don't recall SW in Woolies (well not until POTF2) but do recall WH Smith's having ROJ figures.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
We had a big Woolworths in Sutton but I don't remember buying any Star Wars in there. Most of mine were from Tesco, Gamleys and BHS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom