Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 14260
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Pomse2001 »

Bob_Acid wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:21 am
Hi all

I’m Bob. Born in ‘70 and have fond memories of hunting figures and mega Christmas and birthday bonanzas full of Palitoy fun.I even recall the guilty pleasures by the time Jedi came out and I was meant to be a hard man skinhead_Rude boy popping down the toy shop to spend a quid. I never let my original figures go and they were always to hand, getting them out every so often, more than I’d admit then. Let’s face it, Simon Pegg, Kevin Smith and co have made being a nerd cool now, but back then it was a very different story.

In 87 I was staying for a weekend with my then girlfriend, now wife, in Hastings and found a thrift shop selling all sorts, he had quite a few bits of Star Wars toys, including loose and carded figures and boxed ships. I broke my cherry buying a carded ESB Han Bespin for £15. I went back a few times that weekend and bought more.

Over the next few years I went on the hunt, initially at toy fairs, which at that time had just the odd Star Wars bit and were mostly trains and toy soldier kind of places. I met an old guy at one who was a train dealer that had a 12 back Palitoy Vader on his stall, he let me have it for £10. Turned out he had more so I followed him to every fair he did and pestered him, getting quite a few Palitoy first 20’s from him for a tenner a pop.

Around 88-89 the scene blew up and science fiction specific toy fairs started to appear, I remember one having a complete set of carded figures for sale for £1800 and thinking you have no chance mate.

One fair had a bin full of Tri-logo Luke Endor and Anakins’ for a fiver each.

I paid £90 for a mint cardboard Death Star and that was my biggest buy.

Sometime in the early 90’s I drifted away having found Acid House and not long after I sold the majority of what I’d collected, half to a dealer but kept the good stuff and sold that later to a collector, it was great to see his eyes light up when he turned up. All i kept was my original stuff.

A few years later I woke up to my mistake and It has taken this long to start collecting again.

Gutted doesn’t quite cut it. It was a nagging demon that wouldn't go away for many years.

But, I started again with Lego when my son got into it and gave me the bug. Then I started buying the Vintage collection stuff and got hooked on the Black Series figures, which are , let’s face it, excellent.

Now I know it’s frowned upon but I’ve since started to recard what is left of my original collection, figures display best on a card I think and these figures went through me and my son both and I’m enjoying cleaning them up and putting them back on the wall.

I’m still trying to work out how to post pictures, forums was always photobucket but that doesn’t work any more. I’ll try and get some pictures of what I had and what I have up soon, Watch this space.
Welcome to the forum bob and thanks for sharing your story :wink:
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 14260
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Pomse2001 »

Bob_Acid wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:03 pm
What I have now...luckily the wife is sympathetic
Great collection that you had in the 80s and you also today have a great collection, thanks mate for sharing it with us :D
User avatar
2stripes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by 2stripes »

Joined here around 2006 but haven't posted since 2013 so thought I'd reintroduce myself. Nice to see some familiar names still!

I've being buying, selling and re-buying vintage Star Wars ever since I could afford to.. each time I come back the price hike makes my eyes water! Anyway married and settled with a newly claimed man cave to fill now so I'm hoping this time its for keeps. I managed to keep hold of 5 graded 77bk MOC's which have been sat on a shelf but will soon be pride of place in a display cabinet. I try not to think about the collections I've sold, never look back!

Still mulling over what to collect.. whats the quality of repro weapons like these days?.. Is it still possible to distinguish with a drop test or floating in water etc (think that's what I used to do anyway!). If its a minefield I might just buy AFA or UKG, might just stick with 77 backs MOC's and see how I get on. Choices.. decisions! :D

Oh.. I'm an avid buyer of Vinyl records too, so always good to discuss music!
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4500
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Snaketibe »

2stripes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:51 pm
Joined here around 2006 but haven't posted since 2013 so thought I'd reintroduce myself. Nice to see some familiar names still!

I've being buying, selling and re-buying vintage Star Wars ever since I could afford to.. each time I come back the price hike makes my eyes water! Anyway married and settled with a newly claimed man cave to fill now so I'm hoping this time its for keeps. I managed to keep hold of 5 graded 77bk MOC's which have been sat on a shelf but will soon be pride of place in a display cabinet. I try not to think about the collections I've sold, never look back!

Still mulling over what to collect.. whats the quality of repro weapons like these days?.. Is it still possible to distinguish with a drop test or floating in water etc (think that's what I used to do anyway!). If its a minefield I might just buy AFA or UKG, might just stick with 77 backs MOC's and see how I get on. Choices.. decisions! :D

Oh.. I'm an avid buyer of Vinyl records too, so always good to discuss music!
Welcome back! It's always good to see a previous regular come back into the fold :-)

Best of luck filling your man cave (sadly repro weapons are getting closer and closer to originals, but TIG remains your best friend to help distinguish between them www.imperialgunnery.com).

Jeremy
User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 14260
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Pomse2001 »

2stripes wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:51 pm
Joined here around 2006 but haven't posted since 2013 so thought I'd reintroduce myself. Nice to see some familiar names still!

I've being buying, selling and re-buying vintage Star Wars ever since I could afford to.. each time I come back the price hike makes my eyes water! Anyway married and settled with a newly claimed man cave to fill now so I'm hoping this time its for keeps. I managed to keep hold of 5 graded 77bk MOC's which have been sat on a shelf but will soon be pride of place in a display cabinet. I try not to think about the collections I've sold, never look back!

Still mulling over what to collect.. whats the quality of repro weapons like these days?.. Is it still possible to distinguish with a drop test or floating in water etc (think that's what I used to do anyway!). If its a minefield I might just buy AFA or UKG, might just stick with 77 backs MOC's and see how I get on. Choices.. decisions! :D

Oh.. I'm an avid buyer of Vinyl records too, so always good to discuss music!
Welcome back mate to the forum, great to see some of the first members comes back to the forum :wink:

As jeremy write repro weapons is harder and harder to id, water test does not work today. But you can still use it as the first test. If some fall into the test then this are removed. The ones that is left need another test a test where you need a drop test or the tig guide to id them. If that does not help then I am sure we members can try to help you id your weapons :wink:

There has also been found repro in afa if I remember correct, I think I have read about it on the forum, I do not collect afa so I am not 100% sure.

I wish you good luck with your new star wars focus :wink:
User avatar
2stripes
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by 2stripes »

Thanks for the advice, I did have a look at the repro section of TIG the other day, and there's now a huge amount of detail available compared to when I used to reference it. I half expected someone to tell me they have been found in graded items too to be honest, its understandable I guess given the advancements in production quality.

It was good running through my old posts, on here actually... well, until I came across photo's of my completed 12bk run which I eventually sold on,, the heart sank a little when I saw those! Anyway I've bought an IKEA display cabinet, rehoused my now more modest collection, with a few new items on the way in the post. Really stoked to be collecting again to be honest, I always missed it. Once it starts to take shape I'll post some pictures.
User avatar
Lord Sadism
New User
New User
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:04 am

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Lord Sadism »

Hello.

From the UK based in Lancashire.

I am not sure I am classed as a collector. As a child I amassed a collection which then went into storage for 30 years and only saw the light of day last month. During them 30 years I bought odd items but only since my collection came out of storage, Did the flame re-light in me.

I started off with 5 figures. Farm Luke, Tusken Raider, Stormtrooper, Death Squad Commander & R2. I was a fan of SW but the toy side of it did not grab me till I saw ESB and then I went into over drive.

So I finally decided to have my collection on display. First I started on the room.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/9NVfB7C/20200618-132610.jpg" alt="20200618-132610" border="0">

Then I needed to recover my collection.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/TrxS5Kn/20200620-133948.jpg" alt="20200620-133948" border="0">

Then set it up
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/C12Gfcw/20200714-080019.jpg" alt="20200714-080019" border="0">

My Figures
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/drV1wCd/20200624-164339.jpg" alt="20200624-164339" border="0">

Ask any question. More than happy to help.
Evil hands are happy hands.
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4500
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Snaketibe »

Lord Sadism wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:47 am
Hello.

From the UK based in Lancashire.

I am not sure I am classed as a collector. As a child I amassed a collection which then went into storage for 30 years and only saw the light of day last month. During them 30 years I bought odd items but only since my collection came out of storage, Did the flame re-light in me.

I started off with 5 figures. Farm Luke, Tusken Raider, Stormtrooper, Death Squad Commander & R2. I was a fan of SW but the toy side of it did not grab me till I saw ESB and then I went into over drive.

So I finally decided to have my collection on display. First I started on the room.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/9NVfB7C/20200618-132610.jpg" alt="20200618-132610" border="0">

Then I needed to recover my collection.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/TrxS5Kn/20200620-133948.jpg" alt="20200620-133948" border="0">

Then set it up
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/C12Gfcw/20200714-080019.jpg" alt="20200714-080019" border="0">

My Figures
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/drV1wCd/20200624-164339.jpg" alt="20200624-164339" border="0">

Ask any question. More than happy to help.
Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the forum!

Those are some great photos of your impressive collection. Thanks for sharing them, however if you would like more forum members to enjoy them, feel free to repost them in the 'Vintage Showcase' section by starting your own thread viewforum.php?f=2 :-)

In the meantime, stick around, enjoy the forum and great to have you on board!

Jeremy
User avatar
Ruby2511
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Ruby2511 »

Lord Sadism wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:47 am
Hello.

From the UK based in Lancashire.

I am not sure I am classed as a collector. As a child I amassed a collection which then went into storage for 30 years and only saw the light of day last month. During them 30 years I bought odd items but only since my collection came out of storage, Did the flame re-light in me.

I started off with 5 figures. Farm Luke, Tusken Raider, Stormtrooper, Death Squad Commander & R2. I was a fan of SW but the toy side of it did not grab me till I saw ESB and then I went into over drive.

So I finally decided to have my collection on display. First I started on the room.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/9NVfB7C/20200618-132610.jpg" alt="20200618-132610" border="0">

Then I needed to recover my collection.
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/TrxS5Kn/20200620-133948.jpg" alt="20200620-133948" border="0">

Then set it up
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/C12Gfcw/20200714-080019.jpg" alt="20200714-080019" border="0">

My Figures
<img src="https://i.ibb.co/drV1wCd/20200624-164339.jpg" alt="20200624-164339" border="0">

Ask any question. More than happy to help.
Welcome to the forum, nice collection 😎👍
Hi i'm Russ 👋

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.
User avatar
acrescape
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by acrescape »

Wow. Amazing collection.
User avatar
acrescape
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by acrescape »

Hi all.
I'm Mark and my story is simple.
A long time ago in a Hertfordshire town not so far away there was a young boy born in the early seventies who couldn't avoid the whole Star Wars saga, right through to the 80's. It was inevitable that this would cause a lifetime passion after ending up with having so many memories which involved Star Wars, as I was raised through the most impressionable stage of my life.

From dressing up as Luke Skywalker at competition fancy dress to being invited to Star Wars parties, the early years were so amazing, so many memories as I grew up spending weekends with my Nan and I have fond memories of going out with her on a bus into the local town every Saturday, where without fail she would treat me to a Star Wars figure. Unfortunately I opened them all up and played with them!, because....well that's what they were intended to be for!

I also collected other items like the hoth battle scene, guns, dioramas and I was treated with some spaceships on birthdays and Christmas time. I just absolutely loved it but then I became a teenager!
Car boots were all the rage and unfortunately I sold the lot, probably for 10 pence 20 pence 50 pence each! alongside with other bits and bobs like Action Man, action force, A-team and lego but the money was very handy at the time and enabled me to fund the teenage habits.

It was not until I got into my late twenties that's I was walking around the shops and I come across the power of the force 2 red/green cards at a very cheap price. So I decided to buy a few and then a few days later I bought some more, then more and more. I spent hours travelling to the conventions, looking for rare potf2, I was hooked again and I was an adult with money!, travelling around the UK on my way to various work locations, I'd see a shop and think to myself ' star wars toys?' I'd pull over and purchase whatever I could get my hands on. This was all in the nineties and early naughties that the collecting had rekindled, but stopped when I got married, kids and starting a new business.

20 years on, I've opened up my collection again, memories flood back, but I'm now in control and a bit more grown up. Luckily I have some special rare cards, variants and paint errors that I've purchased over the years, stuff which I was very very keen to find during the 90's and early 00's. I've recently decided to go back to vintage collecting, so I'm now off loading the modern collection and finding my old roots, but this time.. I will not be not opening them.
User avatar
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4114
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Mini99 »

acrescape wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Hi all.
I'm Mark and my story is simple.
A long time ago in a Hertfordshire town not so far away there was a young boy born in the early seventies who couldn't avoid the whole Star Wars saga, right through to the 80's. It was inevitable that this would cause a lifetime passion after ending up with having so many memories which involved Star Wars, as I was raised through the most impressionable stage of my life.

From dressing up as Luke Skywalker at competition fancy dress to being invited to Star Wars parties, the early years were so amazing, so many memories as I grew up spending weekends with my Nan and I have fond memories of going out with her on a bus into the local town every Saturday, where without fail she would treat me to a Star Wars figure. Unfortunately I opened them all up and played with them!, because....well that's what they were intended to be for!

I also collected other items like the hoth battle scene, guns, dioramas and I was treated with some spaceships on birthdays and Christmas time. I just absolutely loved it but then I became a teenager!
Car boots were all the rage and unfortunately I sold the lot, probably for 10 pence 20 pence 50 pence each! alongside with other bits and bobs like Action Man, action force, A-team and lego but the money was very handy at the time and enabled me to fund the teenage habits.

It was not until I got into my late twenties that's I was walking around the shops and I come across the power of the force 2 red/green cards at a very cheap price. So I decided to buy a few and then a few days later I bought some more, then more and more. I spent hours travelling to the conventions, looking for rare potf2, I was hooked again and I was an adult with money!, travelling around the UK on my way to various work locations, I'd see a shop and think to myself ' star wars toys?' I'd pull over and purchase whatever I could get my hands on. This was all in the nineties and early naughties that the collecting had rekindled, but stopped when I got married, kids and starting a new business.

20 years on, I've opened up my collection again, memories flood back, but I'm now in control and a bit more grown up. Luckily I have some special rare cards, variants and paint errors that I've purchased over the years, stuff which I was very very keen to find during the 90's and early 00's. I've recently decided to go back to vintage collecting, so I'm now off loading the modern collection and finding my old roots, but this time.. I will not be not opening them.
Great introduction and welcome.
I just wanted yo point out that there is a modern section on here so feel free to post your modern collection and also anything that your considering selling.
There are a few of us on here that also collect the modern items as well as vintage.
Enjoy.
User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 4500
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Snaketibe »

acrescape wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Hi all.
I'm Mark and my story is simple.
A long time ago in a Hertfordshire town not so far away there was a young boy born in the early seventies who couldn't avoid the whole Star Wars saga, right through to the 80's. It was inevitable that this would cause a lifetime passion after ending up with having so many memories which involved Star Wars, as I was raised through the most impressionable stage of my life.

From dressing up as Luke Skywalker at competition fancy dress to being invited to Star Wars parties, the early years were so amazing, so many memories as I grew up spending weekends with my Nan and I have fond memories of going out with her on a bus into the local town every Saturday, where without fail she would treat me to a Star Wars figure. Unfortunately I opened them all up and played with them!, because....well that's what they were intended to be for!

I also collected other items like the hoth battle scene, guns, dioramas and I was treated with some spaceships on birthdays and Christmas time. I just absolutely loved it but then I became a teenager!
Car boots were all the rage and unfortunately I sold the lot, probably for 10 pence 20 pence 50 pence each! alongside with other bits and bobs like Action Man, action force, A-team and lego but the money was very handy at the time and enabled me to fund the teenage habits.

It was not until I got into my late twenties that's I was walking around the shops and I come across the power of the force 2 red/green cards at a very cheap price. So I decided to buy a few and then a few days later I bought some more, then more and more. I spent hours travelling to the conventions, looking for rare potf2, I was hooked again and I was an adult with money!, travelling around the UK on my way to various work locations, I'd see a shop and think to myself ' star wars toys?' I'd pull over and purchase whatever I could get my hands on. This was all in the nineties and early naughties that the collecting had rekindled, but stopped when I got married, kids and starting a new business.

20 years on, I've opened up my collection again, memories flood back, but I'm now in control and a bit more grown up. Luckily I have some special rare cards, variants and paint errors that I've purchased over the years, stuff which I was very very keen to find during the 90's and early 00's. I've recently decided to go back to vintage collecting, so I'm now off loading the modern collection and finding my old roots, but this time.. I will not be not opening them.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the introduction and great little history (which isn't massively different from mine; I even grew up in Hertfordshire, in Ware).

Welcome to the forum. Stick around and make the most of it. It's a wonderful source of knowledge, with lots to occupy your time and interest, plus the members are great, friendly and helpful :-)

Enjoy!

Jeremy
User avatar
acrescape
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by acrescape »

Hi Jeremy

I lived across the meads from you in Hertford, my Nan lived on Ware Rd. That bus ride at the weekend was back into Hertford and visiting Toymaster. I was like a rabbit caught in headlights as I walked into that shop. Fond memories.

Pleasantly surprised on how welcoming and helpful everyone is on here. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Mark
User avatar
Ruby2511
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Post by Ruby2511 »

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum 😎👍
Hi i'm Russ 👋

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.
Post Reply